WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Mass Shooting In California

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Capital For Suplex City
Posts: 42877
Status: 
Offline
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Thirteen people including a sheriff's deputy and the gunman were killed in a shooting in a crowded bar here late Wednesday night, reports CBS Los Angeles. The shooter was found dead inside, authorities said. 
The station said one person was seen -- apparently lifeless -- on the ground outside the bar's entrance.
Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters early Thursday his colleague died at a hospital. He was identified as Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Helus, a 29-year veteran about a year from retiring.
His voice cracking, Dean described Helus as a friend. "I told his wife he died a hero -- he went in to save lives," Dean said. Helus is survived by a wife and son.


Dean said, "It's a horrific scene in there. There's blood everywhere."
He said the gunman had apparently shot himself.
Dean added that the shooter's motive wasn't known and it wasn't clear if it was a case of terrorism. 
He said the only weapon found in an initial sweep was a handgun. Witnesses said the shots sounded like they were coming from a semi-automatic weapon.
In addition to those who died, injured or wounded patrons were brought to hospitals or went to them on their own.
Ventura County Sheriff's deputies responded to the Borderline  Bar and Grill, some 40 miles west of L.A., at about 11:20 p.m.  
Sheriff's Capt. Garo Kuredjian said deputies could hear gunfire when they arrived. 
Helus raced in and was shot numerous times, Dean said.
There were roughly 200 people in the bar for a popular weekly "College Country" night, authorities said. 
The gunman threw smoke bombs when he entered, perhaps to cause confusion, CBS L.A. reported. But Dean said the bomb squad was called in and found no devices.
Witnesses told the station some people broke windows to get out or smashed windows so others could flee. Some terrified customers hid in bathrooms and attics, Dean said.


The father of one patron told CBS L.A. his daughter told him the gunman "knew what he was doing" and came in "with a purpose." 
A witness told the station, "There were people in the middle dancing and just hanging out and having a good time" when "very, very loud gunshots" rang out inside.
Numerous law enforcement agencies were on-scene, including the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. National Guard members were assisting, as well.
Patrons were seen being led out of the bar by deputies.




srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48081
Status: 
Offline
I was just about to post this, only because this one hits close to home.  My wife went to this bar all the time when she lived in California, and I went with her twice while vacationing there.  It's not really just a country bar, they have a lot of rock acts there too. 

The most random places are getting hit, between Muslim terrorists and white nationalists, from the Bataclan to Borderline, that even though I know the law of averages is heavily against me being involved, it's a lot more possible today than it was a decade ago.  These are the EXACT types of venues I go to all the time. 

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17556
Status: 
Online
If I was these people I would just stay home from now on

CBS News

For one large group of people at a Southern California bar where a gunman killed 12 people Wednesday night, it was their second narrow escape from a mass shooting. One man said he and others inside the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks also survived the shooting that killed 58 people and injured nearly 500 others at a country music concert in Las Vegas last October.

Nicholas Champion said he and many others in the bar were also at the Las Vegas Route 91 shooting.

"It's the second time in about a year and a month that this has happened," he said. "It's a big thing for us. We're all a big family and unfortunately this family got hit twice."

More than 100 people were inside the bar during the shooting, including many college students who were there to celebrate "College Country Night."

Police said they found the shooter dead inside, possibly from a self-inflicted wound. Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters early Thursday, "It's a horrific scene in there. There's blood everywhere."

Among the victims is 29-year veteran deputy Ron Helus. Helus was among the first responders and was shot while entering the building where the shooting was taking place. He died at the hospital Thursday morning.

So far, there is no known motive for the attack.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48081
Status: 
Offline
The shooter is David Long, a 29-year old former Marine.

lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Capital For Suplex City
Posts: 42877
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: The shooter is David Long, a 29-year old former Marine.




Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Jesus Christ - I went to high school with a David Long who went into the Marines and looks just like him. Alas, he is 33 years older.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Oh, I almost forgot - thoughts and prayers.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1813
Status: 
Offline
yes. thoughts and prayers people! its too early and not the time to talk about gun control yadda yadda yadda. and it was not a member of that horrible caravan heading to America. will be looking forward to what Don Lemon has to say tonight....

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6662
Status: 
Offline
I guess Trump could have sent the Troops to California instead. Would have done more good.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Ron Helus, 54, a sergeant in the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, was among the first to respond to the shooting, heading into the bar as the bullets flew. The veteran officer, who was married with an adult son, had been on the force 29 years and planned to retire within the next year.

Helus also owned a firearms training business.

“When he heard the gunfire, he ran in. He ran in and no doubt saved others,” Ventura County Sheriff’s Capt. Garo Kuredjian told CNN afterward. “That’s what cops do. That’s what he did.”

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: Ron Helus, 54, a sergeant in the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, was among the first to respond to the shooting, heading into the bar as the bullets flew. The veteran officer, who was married with an adult son, had been on the force 29 years and planned to retire within the next year.

Helus also owned a firearms training business.

“When he heard the gunfire, he ran in. He ran in and no doubt saved others,” Ventura County Sheriff’s Capt. Garo Kuredjian told CNN afterward. “That’s what cops do. That’s what he did.”
Some here think being armed in every setting will prevent tragedy.  It will not.  Ron Helus was exceptionally well trained, better than 99.8% of Americans.  Yet, the person intent on committing the act ALWAYS has an advantage.  No doubt, Helus knew that.  A true hero.  A normal civilian really has no chance unless it is a one on one, up close situation.  
I love the chickenhawks who pretend to be the type that would save the day.   The vast majority of them would instantly shit their pants and shoot either themselves in the leg or another innocent person. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48081
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: Ultimark wrote: Ron Helus, 54, a sergeant in the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, was among the first to respond to the shooting, heading into the bar as the bullets flew. The veteran officer, who was married with an adult son, had been on the force 29 years and planned to retire within the next year.

Helus also owned a firearms training business.

“When he heard the gunfire, he ran in. He ran in and no doubt saved others,” Ventura County Sheriff’s Capt. Garo Kuredjian told CNN afterward. “That’s what cops do. That’s what he did.”
Some here think being armed in every setting will prevent tragedy.  It will not.  Ron Helus was exceptionally well trained, better than 99.8% of Americans.  Yet, the person intent on committing the act ALWAYS has an advantage.  No doubt, Helus knew that.  A true hero.  A normal civilian really has no chance unless it is a one on one, up close situation.  
I love the chickenhawks who pretend to be the type that would save the day.   The vast majority of them would instantly shit their pants and shoot either themselves in the leg or another innocent person. 

In fairness, when you're running into a situation where you don't know what's going on and the shooter has already established position, and the shooter happens to be a Marine with smoke bombs and what I'm guessing is significant weapons training, this is by no means the best example to use.  I do think in the chaos it's possible for a number of armed patrons to have taken him out because of the law of averages.  Lots of people said they got a clear view of him and were playing dead or something, and he can't look everywhere ta once.  That said, I'll never blindly discount the fact that many people will panic and could shoot themselves or an innocent person accidentally.  And the ones who post the most memes on Facebook will never draw their weapon and will just knock women out of the way while running.

Last edited on Thu Nov 8th, 2018 08:08 pm by srossi

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Ultimark wrote: Ultimark wrote: Ron Helus, 54, a sergeant in the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office, was among the first to respond to the shooting, heading into the bar as the bullets flew. The veteran officer, who was married with an adult son, had been on the force 29 years and planned to retire within the next year.

Helus also owned a firearms training business.

“When he heard the gunfire, he ran in. He ran in and no doubt saved others,” Ventura County Sheriff’s Capt. Garo Kuredjian told CNN afterward. “That’s what cops do. That’s what he did.”
Some here think being armed in every setting will prevent tragedy.  It will not.  Ron Helus was exceptionally well trained, better than 99.8% of Americans.  Yet, the person intent on committing the act ALWAYS has an advantage.  No doubt, Helus knew that.  A true hero.  A normal civilian really has no chance unless it is a one on one, up close situation.  
I love the chickenhawks who pretend to be the type that would save the day.   The vast majority of them would instantly shit their pants and shoot either themselves in the leg or another innocent person. 

In fairness, when you're running into a situation where you don't know what's going on and the shooter has already established position, and the shooter happens to be a Marine with smoke bombs and what I'm guessing is significant weapons training, this is by no means the best example to use.  I do think in the chaos it's possible for a number of armed patrons to have taken him out because of the law of averages.  Lots of people said they got a clear view of him and were playing dead or something, and he can't look everywhere ta once.  That said, I'll never blindly discount the fact that many people will panic and could shoot themselves or an innocent person accidentally.  And the ones who post the most memes on Facebook will never draw their weapon and will just knock women out of the way while running.
Good point.  The murderer was very well trained.  Yea, they would run like George Constanza from a kid's birthday party. 

lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Capital For Suplex City
Posts: 42877
Status: 
Offline
Spatulapup wrote: yes. thoughts and prayers people! its too early and not the time to talk about gun control yadda yadda yadda. and it was not a member of that horrible caravan heading to America. will be looking forward to what Don Lemon has to say tonight....


no more thoughts, no more prayers






Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Spatulapup wrote: yes. thoughts and prayers people! its too early and not the time to talk about gun control yadda yadda yadda. and it was not a member of that horrible caravan heading to America. will be looking forward to what Don Lemon has to say tonight....


no more thoughts, no more prayers






That leads right into "now is not the time".  They have been using that line for 10 years now. 

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
The bottom line is the NRA is never going to change. Ever. The have economic interests and could give a shit less who dies.

wittman2

 

Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 639
Status: 
Offline
But CA has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. How is the NRA at fault here?

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Because they control pols who oppose any sane effort to apply regs that could possibly help with this.  For instance, there is one fed registry of guns but by regulation a search database is NOT allowed.  Thus, people can keep guns who otherwise could be flagged as risks.  Different states have different laws but the overriding theme is that is almost impossible to take a gun away from someone who is clearly a risk.   

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Use myself as an example. I now have horrific eyesight. I have advanced training in firearms and was designated a sharpshooter. However, I would have trouble hitting the side of a barn now. I still own guns and I LOVED shooting. I miss the range. My wife now shoots and is doing pretty well. I am NOT against people owning guns. I AM for properly regulating owners. At the very least, I should be required to take a test at a certain interval to make certain that I am still mentally and physically well enough to properly handle a firearm. I live in a state with fairly tough rules as well but to my knowledge nothing like that exists anywhere.

The guy in CA was known to the authorities. I am fine with people owning but we need to work on making certain the killing fields recede. Just my opinion and I think I come from both sides of this issue. Oh and yes, that includes all the horrific black on black gun violence.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Didn't take much research to find this:

A ballot initiative passed in 2016 also outlawed high capacity magazines already in possession, but local gun rights advocates and the National Rifle Association brought suit to block California's enforcement of it. A judge issued an injunction against the total ban two days before it was supposed to go into effect.

Again, these weapons sole purpose is too kill as many people as possible in as short amount of time as possible.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1813
Status: 
Offline
the NRA will never change. and the NRA are huge supporters of Trump, they helped him get elected. Trump will never fight the NRA so nothing will change. the NRA just attacked the doctors in Thousand Oaks to keep their mouths shut when it comes to gun control. they are slime.


The Killer posted on facebook just before he started killing saying after he was done people will say thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers and nothing will change. even he knew this......

Last edited on Fri Nov 9th, 2018 03:22 pm by Spatulapup

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6765
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: Didn't take much research to find this:

A ballot initiative passed in 2016 also outlawed high capacity magazines already in possession, but local gun rights advocates and the National Rifle Association brought suit to block California's enforcement of it. A judge issued an injunction against the total ban two days before it was supposed to go into effect.

Again, these weapons sole purpose is too kill as many people as possible in as short amount of time as possible.
Phony conservatives (who don't even really understand the ideology they profess to adore) are all about the will of the people and against "activist" judges.  Right up until they are not.  



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems