WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Battle Royal from the Philly Spectrum

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Battle Royal from the Philly Spectrum  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 03:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9860
Status: 
Offline
I just watched a good Battle Royal on the Youtubes.  It says 85, but I thought Mr. Saito was in the AWA well before that.  Perhaps he just made a WWF return for the BR.


Interesting highlights-Heels fought heels & faces fought faces- it really was every man for himself.Vince said Laurent Soucie threw punches like a girl.Valentine BladedSnuka was the first man eliminatedAtlas and SD Jones were the last two, so they had a coin flip.  Atlas won but still had to eliminate SD so he pressed him and placed him on the apron.


Anyone have any thoughts on this Battle Royal?



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 03:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2718
Status: 
Offline
Are you sure it was 1985? I think that I saw the same video on YouTube and it has 1982 as the date.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Gone_Fishing

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 854
Status: 
Offline
1982 i think?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 04:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49565
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: I just watched a good Battle Royal on the Youtubes.  It says 85, but I thought Mr. Saito was in the AWA well before that.  Perhaps he just made a WWF return for the BR.


Interesting highlights-Heels fought heels & faces fought faces- it really was every man for himself.Vince said Laurent Soucie threw punches like a girl.Valentine BladedSnuka was the first man eliminatedAtlas and SD Jones were the last two, so they had a coin flip.  Atlas won but still had to eliminate SD so he pressed him and placed him on the apron.


Anyone have any thoughts on this Battle Royal?

This was on a Coliseum Video release because I saw highlights of it as a kid. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
thewrestlingcollector



Joined: Fri Mar 10th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 79
Status: 
Offline
June 26, 1982 Philadelphia Spectrum
20-Man Battle Royal

Greg Valentine, Blackjack Mulligan, SD Jones, Steve Travis, Adrian Adonis, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Swede Hanson, WWF IC Champion Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski, Tony Garea, Jose Estrada, Tony Atlas, Charlie Fulton, Johnny Rodz, Laurent Soucie, Jimmy Snuka, Chief Jay, Jules Strongbow


They did the coin toss thing before a few times, normally a once a year thing for the WWWF/WWF. Some Examples:

In 1976 at the Capital Centre the Executioners flipped a coin to decide who would win the battle royal.

In 1977 at the Boston Garden. Nikolai Volkoff and Stan Stasiak were the last 2 left and flipped a coin to decide the winner. Volkoff won.

In 1979 all 3 Valiants won a battle royal and flipped a coin with Jerry Valiant winning.
And again in 1983 at the Baltimore Civic Center, Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas with a coin toss won by Tony Atlas.
Also in 1984 with The Wild Samoans and Samula flipping a coin with Afa winning.



____________________


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 07:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9860
Status: 
Offline
1982 makes more sense. As I mentioned Saito was in the AWA much earlier than 85. It was from a Coliseum Home Video. Maybe the video was from 85 or it was mislabeled. It's Youtube so anything is possible.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Blazer
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6044
Status: 
Offline
The tape is from 1985 or early 1986, but the match is definitely much earlier.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
WWF TV-Taping @ Philadelphia
1982/06/26 @ The Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (United States of America)
Tony Atlas defeated Adrian Adonis and Baron Mikel Scicluna and Blackjack Mulligan and Charlie Fulton and Chief Jay Strongbow and Greg Valentine and Ivan Putski and Jimmy Snuka and Johnny Rodz and José Estrada and Jules Strongbow and Laurent Soucie and Masa Saito and Mr. Fuji and Pedro Morales and S.D. Jones and Steve Travis and Swede Hanson and Tony Garea (17 minutes) [Battle Royal]



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6894
Status: 
Offline
I have seen that several times. Definitely from 82.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 08:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9860
Status: 
Offline
So what did you bastards think of it?


Lots of jobbers, but I thought it was well done. Not a lot of stalling, everyman for himself. I could have used a better ending than the coin flip, but I liked the "realism" that Atlas still had to officially eliminate Jones.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 09:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49565
Status: 
Offline
thewrestlingcollector wrote: June 26, 1982 Philadelphia Spectrum
20-Man Battle Royal

Greg Valentine, Blackjack Mulligan, SD Jones, Steve Travis, Adrian Adonis, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Swede Hanson, WWF IC Champion Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski, Tony Garea, Jose Estrada, Tony Atlas, Charlie Fulton, Johnny Rodz, Laurent Soucie, Jimmy Snuka, Chief Jay, Jules Strongbow


They did the coin toss thing before a few times, normally a once a year thing for the WWWF/WWF. Some Examples:

In 1976 at the Capital Centre the Executioners flipped a coin to decide who would win the battle royal.

In 1977 at the Boston Garden. Nikolai Volkoff and Stan Stasiak were the last 2 left and flipped a coin to decide the winner. Volkoff won.

In 1979 all 3 Valiants won a battle royal and flipped a coin with Jerry Valiant winning.
And again in 1983 at the Baltimore Civic Center, Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas with a coin toss won by Tony Atlas.
Also in 1984 with The Wild Samoans and Samula flipping a coin with Afa winning.

I didn't realize they did this so often, but that adds an extra dimension to Bad News Brown screwing Bret Hart at WMIV in 1988, even though they agreed to share the prize rather than go to a coin flip (which made no sense).  It was only a few years later, although it might as well have been a different century considering how much the WWF had changed from the late '70s-early '80s.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2019 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Blazer
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6044
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: thewrestlingcollector wrote: June 26, 1982 Philadelphia Spectrum
20-Man Battle Royal

Greg Valentine, Blackjack Mulligan, SD Jones, Steve Travis, Adrian Adonis, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Swede Hanson, WWF IC Champion Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski, Tony Garea, Jose Estrada, Tony Atlas, Charlie Fulton, Johnny Rodz, Laurent Soucie, Jimmy Snuka, Chief Jay, Jules Strongbow


They did the coin toss thing before a few times, normally a once a year thing for the WWWF/WWF. Some Examples:

In 1976 at the Capital Centre the Executioners flipped a coin to decide who would win the battle royal.

In 1977 at the Boston Garden. Nikolai Volkoff and Stan Stasiak were the last 2 left and flipped a coin to decide the winner. Volkoff won.

In 1979 all 3 Valiants won a battle royal and flipped a coin with Jerry Valiant winning.
And again in 1983 at the Baltimore Civic Center, Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas with a coin toss won by Tony Atlas.
Also in 1984 with The Wild Samoans and Samula flipping a coin with Afa winning.

I didn't realize they did this so often, but that adds an extra dimension to Bad News Brown screwing Bret Hart at WMIV in 1988, even though they agreed to share the prize rather than go to a coin flip (which made no sense).  It was only a few years later, although it might as well have been a different century considering how much the WWF had changed from the late '70s-early '80s.

It is really striking when you consider the noticeable change from, say, '78 to '88...or even '88 to '98 than when you compare 2009 to 2019.  We've talked about this before.  The last 12-13 years are completely interchangeable.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 28th, 2019 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49565
Status: 
Offline
KKMBlazer wrote: srossi wrote: thewrestlingcollector wrote: June 26, 1982 Philadelphia Spectrum
20-Man Battle Royal

Greg Valentine, Blackjack Mulligan, SD Jones, Steve Travis, Adrian Adonis, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Swede Hanson, WWF IC Champion Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski, Tony Garea, Jose Estrada, Tony Atlas, Charlie Fulton, Johnny Rodz, Laurent Soucie, Jimmy Snuka, Chief Jay, Jules Strongbow


They did the coin toss thing before a few times, normally a once a year thing for the WWWF/WWF. Some Examples:

In 1976 at the Capital Centre the Executioners flipped a coin to decide who would win the battle royal.

In 1977 at the Boston Garden. Nikolai Volkoff and Stan Stasiak were the last 2 left and flipped a coin to decide the winner. Volkoff won.

In 1979 all 3 Valiants won a battle royal and flipped a coin with Jerry Valiant winning.
And again in 1983 at the Baltimore Civic Center, Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas with a coin toss won by Tony Atlas.
Also in 1984 with The Wild Samoans and Samula flipping a coin with Afa winning.

I didn't realize they did this so often, but that adds an extra dimension to Bad News Brown screwing Bret Hart at WMIV in 1988, even though they agreed to share the prize rather than go to a coin flip (which made no sense).  It was only a few years later, although it might as well have been a different century considering how much the WWF had changed from the late '70s-early '80s.

It is really striking when you consider the noticeable change from, say, '78 to '88...or even '88 to '98 than when you compare 2009 to 2019.  We've talked about this before.  The last 12-13 years are completely interchangeable.

Even longer. You can easily go back to 2005 when Cena first emerged as a main eventer. Almost nothing has changed except the names and the fact that there’s real women’s wrestling now. And to think they’re still copying many of the same formulas from the Attitude Era 21-22 years ago. That would be like the WWF of 1984 using the same playbook as in 1962. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Mar 29th, 2019 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
thewrestlingcollector



Joined: Fri Mar 10th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 79
Status: 
Offline
I went ahead and uploaded the full original broadcast of the show if you're interested in any of it:

6-26-1982 WWF at the Spectrum featuring:

Baron Mikel Scicluna vs. Laurent Soucie
20-man Battle Royal, participants included: Greg Valentine, Blackjack Mulligan, Steve Travis, Adrian Adonis, SD Jones, Baron Mikel Scicluna, Mr. Fuji, Mr. Saito, Swede Hanson, IC Champ Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski, Tony Garea, Jose Estrada, Tony Atlas, Charlie Fulton, Johnny Rodz, Laurent Soucie, Jimmy Snuka, Chief Jay and Jules Strongbow
Chief Jay Strongbow vs. Jose Estrada
Ivan Putski vs. Charlie Fulton
Jimmy Snuka vs. Steve Travis
IC Champ Pedro Morales vs. Tag Team Champ Mr. Saito
World Champ Bob Backlund vs. Bob Orton in a Lumberjack Match
Blackjack Mulligan vs. SD Jones
Tag Team Champ Mr. Fuji vs. Tony Garea
Tony Atlas vs. Adrian Adonis



____________________


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Mar 30th, 2019 08:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9860
Status: 
Offline
Awesome thanks!



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 02:05 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Battle Royal from the Philly Spectrum Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems