WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tanking Was Not Worth It

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41714
Status: 
Offline
4 years of tanking (Sixers) got us a good team, not elite. I venture that a properly run organization could have built a team just as good playing it straight all along.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6878
Status: 
Offline
Sixers have a good Starting 5...but no bench.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49806
Status: 
Offline
They just need to tank another 15 years and then they'll be the '96 Bulls.  Where's your patience?

Last edited on Tue Apr 16th, 2019 06:11 pm by srossi

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Tanking was well worth it. Great starting line-up, but the bench blows. Get rid of Harris, keep Butler & Boban and use some money to get a bench. Problem solved.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41714
Status: 
Offline
It’s so thin that if Embiid is out, the feeling is ‘they have no chance’

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4465
Status: 
Offline
I guess you need take chances but the Sixers made some gambles that didn't pan out and had some probable hits become misses. Noel was damaged goods that didn't pan out. They took MCW instead of Giannis. Fultz was a bust. Okafor was bust. Evan Turner was taken instead of Boogie. Noel, Simmons, and Embiid missed what should have been their rookie seasons entirely and Fultz missed the vast majority of his. I'm not sure if this is what they had in mind for the Process.

Looking more closely at Embiid, who is the key to it all, he missed all of what should have been his first and second seasons and most of his actual rookie season that should have been his third. Embiid has played in only 38.5% of the games since he was drafted if you count those two entirely missed seasons. Drop the missed seasons to count only the three seasons in which he's played and Embiid has taken the floor in 64.2% of the games with no more than 64 in any one season so far.  

By comparison, Bill Walton is considered one of the truly lost NBA superstars whose career was ruined by injuries. In his four season career prime with the Blazers, he played in 63.7% of the games and never more than 65 in a season. Given the injuries Embiid has faced, that is a scary thing to ponder for the 76ers especially given the investment in time and that enormous new contract.

Last edited on Wed Apr 17th, 2019 03:35 am by tamalie

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: I guess you need take chances but the Sixers made some gambles that didn't pan out and had some probable hits become misses. Noel was damaged goods that didn't pan out. They took MCW instead of Giannis. Fultz was a bust. Okafor was bust. Evan Turner was taken instead of Boogie. Noel, Simmons, and Embiid missed what should have been their rookie seasons entirely and Fultz missed the vast majority of his. I'm not sure if this is what they had in mind for the Process.

Looking more closely at Embiid, who is the key to it all, he missed all of what should have been his first and second seasons and most of his actual rookie season that should have been his third. Embiid has played in only 38.5% of the games since he was drafted if you count those two entirely missed seasons. Drop the missed seasons to count only the three seasons in which he's played and Embiid has taken the floor in 64.2% of the games with no more than 64 in any one season so far.  

By comparison, Bill Walton is considered one of the truly lost NBA superstars whose career was ruined by injuries. In his four season career prime with the Blazers, he played in 63.7% of the games and never more than 65 in a season. Given the injuries Embiid has faced, that is a scary thing to ponder for the 76ers especially given the investment in time and that enormous new contract.

Okafor's playing well in New Orleans ever since Davis went down with his "injury". He finished strong and he might be able to salvage a career. 

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41714
Status: 
Offline
Lots of rumors of revamping the roster. All that for a second round elimination although a ‘coin flip’ Loss.

krazykid18
The Prophet
 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1808
Status: 
Offline
i thought this was about NBA new garbage ass draft lottery system

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
The rumors are bullshit though. Ben for Lebron James was made up by a journalist from NBC based on one quote from a rival GM who said "I could very well see them looking into that". The story was based off of that alone. Not exactly well sourced. It also doesn't work cap wise at all. The Sixers would have to sign Butler and include him in the deal as well to make the money work or maybe Harris instead.

They are going to try hard to lock up Butler and Harris. Reddick could be a problem given the cap but they would like him back but for 2 years at less of a cap hit each year. The rest of the players are basically expendable parts. A few will be back. They will look to build the bench. Some of that hopefully comes from a couple of the young players they already have. The first priority needs to be a backup center. With Embiid on the floor, the Sixers were a dominant team. Without him, they were horrible. The plus/minus stats prove that. Even on Sunday, the 3 minutes he didn't play, they were a minus 9.

The Raps were the better team but it is very close and wouldn't have been had Embiid not been sick. I am not as nearly pessimistic as some. The window for this team opens next year.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
krazykid18 wrote: i thought this was about NBA new garbage ass draft lottery system
I loved it because it fucked over the Knicks.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Lots of rumors of revamping the roster. All that for a second round elimination although a ‘coin flip’ Loss.
Re-sign Butler, let Harris, Boban go. Get a better bench and another shooter. Redick is interesting as you have to bring him back if they can't sign a shooter, unless he would come off the bench.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: The rumors are bullshit though. Ben for Lebron James was made up by a journalist from NBC based on one quote from a rival GM who said "I could very well see them looking into that". The story was based off of that alone. Not exactly well sourced. It also doesn't work cap wise at all. The Sixers would have to sign Butler and include him in the deal as well to make the money work or maybe Harris instead.

They are going to try hard to lock up Butler and Harris. Reddick could be a problem given the cap but they would like him back but for 2 years at less of a cap hit each year. The rest of the players are basically expendable parts. A few will be back. They will look to build the bench. Some of that hopefully comes from a couple of the young players they already have. The first priority needs to be a backup center. With Embiid on the floor, the Sixers were a dominant team. Without him, they were horrible. The plus/minus stats prove that. Even on Sunday, the 3 minutes he didn't play, they were a minus 9.

The Raps were the better team but it is very close and wouldn't have been had Embiid not been sick. I am not as nearly pessimistic as some. The window for this team opens next year.

Not a fan of Harris as he came up small in the playoffs and Boban was a non factor. Need a legit big man to back up Jo Jo. 

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4465
Status: 
Offline
As a Timberwolves fan, my opinions of Jimmy Butler aren't exactly positive due to how he left here. That admission out of the way, the Sixers would be nuts to sign him to the kind of large, long term deal he wants. Jimmy Buckets will be 30 by the start of next season. In eight NBA seasons he has played more than 70 games on just two occasions, one of which was his second year in the league when he was getting 26 minutes per game and the other in 2016-17. Butler is very good, but you can find another 2/3 swing player a lot more easily than another Ben Simmons. For all of his flaws, finding another Ben Simmons would be much harder than finding another Jimmy Butler.

Speaking of Simmons, a straight up deal of Simmons for LeBron won't work due to the salary disparity and luxury tax issues in Philly.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
The Sixers could go after Kemba Walker.

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13316
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: As a Timberwolves fan, my opinions of Jimmy Butler aren't exactly positive due to how he left here. That admission out of the way, the Sixers would be nuts to sign him to the kind of large, long term deal he wants. Jimmy Buckets will be 30 by the start of next season. In eight NBA seasons he has played more than 70 games on just two occasions, one of which was his second year in the league when he was getting 26 minutes per game and the other in 2016-17. Butler is very good, but you can find another 2/3 swing player a lot more easily than another Ben Simmons. For all of his flaws, finding another Ben Simmons would be much harder than finding another Jimmy Butler.

Speaking of Simmons, a straight up deal of Simmons for LeBron won't work due to the salary disparity and luxury tax issues in Philly.
I would take Butler over Simmons any day. Simmons is a 6'11 guard. Height is all he offers. He can't make a jump shot to save his life. If he put on some weight and plays down low I may change my mind but Butler is my choice between those two.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
Benlen wrote: tamalie wrote: As a Timberwolves fan, my opinions of Jimmy Butler aren't exactly positive due to how he left here. That admission out of the way, the Sixers would be nuts to sign him to the kind of large, long term deal he wants. Jimmy Buckets will be 30 by the start of next season. In eight NBA seasons he has played more than 70 games on just two occasions, one of which was his second year in the league when he was getting 26 minutes per game and the other in 2016-17. Butler is very good, but you can find another 2/3 swing player a lot more easily than another Ben Simmons. For all of his flaws, finding another Ben Simmons would be much harder than finding another Jimmy Butler.

Speaking of Simmons, a straight up deal of Simmons for LeBron won't work due to the salary disparity and luxury tax issues in Philly.
I would take Butler over Simmons any day. Simmons is a 6'11 guard. Height is all he offers. He can't make a jump shot to save his life. If he put on some weight and plays down low I may change my mind but Butler is my choice between those two.   

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
The Sixers will definitely keep Ben. They want to keep Butler but that is entirely up to him. He will be offered the max contract. If he declines, he losses $30m. Up to him. Ben is still on a rookie contract. He will sign his extension next year.

It is not a choice between the two at all. However, Butler is 7 years older than Ben, and has more miles on him.

As for how he left Minn, I don't care. The young stars there are soft. He didn't want to be stuck with them. I hope he signs an extension with the Sixers. The last year or 2 could be a waste but the window is only open for as long as Embiid has a career which probably isn't longer than 3 or 4 years anyway.

Last edited on Thu May 16th, 2019 05:15 pm by Ultimark

krazykid18
The Prophet
 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1808
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: The Sixers will definitely keep Ben. They want to keep Butler but that is entirely up to him. He will be offered the max contract. If he declines, he losses $30m. Up to him. Ben is still on a rookie contract. He will sign his extension next year.

It is not a choice between the two at all. However, Butler is 7 years older than Ben, and has more miles on him.

As for how he left Minn, I don't care. The young stars there are soft. He didn't want to be stuck with them. I hope he signs an extension with the Sixers. The last year or 2 could be a waste but the window is only open for as long as Embiid has a career which probably isn't longer than 3 or 4 years anyway.

I would sign Jimmy if i want to get the best out of Embiid and Simmons because Jimmy is the perfect asshole that will get Simmons and Embiid to work on their flaws and also Jimmy asshole ways will expose how mentally tough Simmons and Embiid are because you seen how soft Wiggins and Towns were when Jimmy killed them destroying them with 13,14, 15th and g leaguers in practice.

nyhack56

 

Joined: Wed May 15th, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 81
Status: 
Offline
krazykid18 wrote: Ultimark wrote: The Sixers will definitely keep Ben. They want to keep Butler but that is entirely up to him. He will be offered the max contract. If he declines, he losses $30m. Up to him. Ben is still on a rookie contract. He will sign his extension next year.

It is not a choice between the two at all. However, Butler is 7 years older than Ben, and has more miles on him.

As for how he left Minn, I don't care. The young stars there are soft. He didn't want to be stuck with them. I hope he signs an extension with the Sixers. The last year or 2 could be a waste but the window is only open for as long as Embiid has a career which probably isn't longer than 3 or 4 years anyway.

I would sign Jimmy if i want to get the best out of Embiid and Simmons because Jimmy is the perfect asshole that will get Simmons and Embiid to work on their flaws and also Jimmy asshole ways will expose how mentally tough Simmons and Embiid are because you seen how soft Wiggins and Towns were when Jimmy killed them destroying them with 13,14, 15th and g leaguers in practice.

Yup, and he took that right out of the Michael Jordan playbook.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
krazykid18 wrote: Ultimark wrote: The Sixers will definitely keep Ben. They want to keep Butler but that is entirely up to him. He will be offered the max contract. If he declines, he losses $30m. Up to him. Ben is still on a rookie contract. He will sign his extension next year.

It is not a choice between the two at all. However, Butler is 7 years older than Ben, and has more miles on him.

As for how he left Minn, I don't care. The young stars there are soft. He didn't want to be stuck with them. I hope he signs an extension with the Sixers. The last year or 2 could be a waste but the window is only open for as long as Embiid has a career which probably isn't longer than 3 or 4 years anyway.

I would sign Jimmy if i want to get the best out of Embiid and Simmons because Jimmy is the perfect asshole that will get Simmons and Embiid to work on their flaws and also Jimmy asshole ways will expose how mentally tough Simmons and Embiid are because you seen how soft Wiggins and Towns were when Jimmy killed them destroying them with 13,14, 15th and g leaguers in practice.

Agree with you 1000%. Butler is needed for the Sixers and I'd take him over Harris anyday (even though Harris is apparently a done deal).



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems