WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Holy Grail v Holy Grail

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Holy Grail v Holy Grail  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 06:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: D-ville
Posts: 3321
Status: 
Offline
Now that 2 Holy Grails have been released which one did you enjoy more? Which one lived up to the hype? 

I’ll go with the last battle of Atlanta but neither were classics in my opinion but in defense of the Bret match it wasn’t supposed to be where as the Last Battle of Atlanta was the culmination of a series. 

I’m sure it’s just a result of growing up when i did but I really enjoy the commentary style of the 80’s WWF and the camera work. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 09:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 6863
Status: 
Offline
I just watched the documentary on the Network. I think the WWE completely manufactured this story of this being a so called "Holy Grail". I wasn't a prolific tape tarder but I was in it enough to know what was out there and what was wanted. I never heard anyone clamoring for this match. Maybe Glorious Leader beej can give us better insight because he was much deeper in the tape scene than I was.

A true Holy Grail match in my opinion would be something like Sammartino vs. Rogers MSG 1963, Blassie vs. Tolos Los Angeles Coliseum 1971, or Sammartino vs. Morales Shea Stadium 1972. These are matches that haven't been seen in any way, shape, or form. I believe the Lost Battle of Atlanta fell into that category but I could be wrong. All the Magee vs. Hart match turned out to be was a meaningless match to help give Magee experience because they saw potential in him. Magee went over clean, the match was ok. That's it. It was extremely difficult to masturbate to.

Near the end, they interviewed the 2019 Tom Magee. These days, he looks like either one of David Icke's Lizard People or a Stage IV AIDS patient. The man looks horrendous. I also laugh how they brought in "experts" like Kassius Ohno and X-Pac for their scholarly dissertations on the subject matter. All in all the doc wasn't bad but there was a lot of tranny porn I could have watched in that half hour.



____________________
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) October 8, 2009
hello @Paula_Deen you have midget pig dick and dead dog tits I hope I see you I break your fucking fat neck bitch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 12:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: D-ville
Posts: 3321
Status: 
Offline
I got into tape trading late in the game but I never heard this match talked about and someone may be able to prove me wrong but I don’t think anyone spoke about this match much or at all around here before that picture was posted a few weeks ago.


The last battle of Atlanta was talks about more than once over at KM and certainly before.



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 12:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48527
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: I also laugh how they brought in "experts" like Kassius Ohno and X-Pac for their scholarly dissertations on the subject matter.
Kassius Ohno is legitimately one of the most prolific tape tarders from back in the day.  His library has something obscene like 10,000 VHS tapes in it.  I think he was a good choice to interview.  He was as passionate about the scene as anyone could be.  X-Pac was a more curious choice but he represented himself fine.  Sam Roberts as well, and he agreed with your point that he didn't hear a lot about this match while he was tape trading and it became more of a thing during the digital age.  I would agree with that.  I don't think WWE "manufactured" anything as much as it was something that took on a life of its own in more recent years, as opposed to Sawyer vs. Rich which was a big deal for many years once someone realized that the tape was "lost".

I thought the doc was very good.  I was disappointed that it ended abruptly with the match itself.  I was expecting post-match comments after Bret and Magee got to watch it for the first time.  I'm happy for Magee and I hope this documentary gives him a chance to make some money on the convention circuit, as X-Pac mentioned himself in an interview.  He seems like a good, humble guy who neither let this go to his head nor was bitter and devastated over what could've been. 

The match itself was obviously not much to watch.  It was a semi-typical WWE '80s match involving a great worker and a guy who looked like a million bucks and did a couple of flips that guys his size didn't do back then.  That's about it.  Monsoon and Heenan were on commentary doing their schtick and barely talking about the match, which is understandable because there wasn't much to talk about.  They put over Magee well enough and that was that.  It was hardly an unseen classic that made the TV taping crowd convulse in orgasm at the unexpected gem that they were witnessing.  The crowd got more into it than a typical dark match, which made Bret and Magee think they were getting a Hogan reaction.  If you've seen some of the other dark match Hidden Gems put on WWE Network involving people's debuts (Razor Ramon and others) then guess what, they're right.  Compared to that, it was a Hogan pop.  They won the crowd over as much as possible in that environment.  But it's not something you watch in 2019 and say "Thank God I finally got to see that classic".

Also, how is Harry Smith not in WWE?  He seems to be on WWE TV lately more often than Roman Reigns, and he's signed to MLW.  I feel like as soon as his contract is up, WWE has to give him another shot, right?   



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 01:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5328
Status: 
Offline
The only reason anybody made a big deal out of it is because Hitman wanted it released on his DVDs and WWE couldn't find it. Hart said it was one of his best matches because he pulled a decent match out of Magee. Otherwise, nobody really knew anything about this match until the past ten years or so.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 02:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6495
Status: 
Offline
I think X-Pac was in the doc because he was at the TV taping when Magee wrestled DiBiase, so he was giving a fan's perspective. He did talk about expecting to see this guy getting a big push on TV, then forgetting about him.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1830
Status: 
Offline
I don't care at all about the Bret Hart match. Bret is his own biggest fan so it means more to him than anyone. I saw a match with Magee with Arn Anderson and I don't need to see him ever again. The Buzz/Rich match was a letdown to me. I am sure they had much better matches before this.

The match I saw that definitely lived up to the legend was Steamboat/Youngblood VS Slaughter/Kernodle in the Cage. Its awesome. Watch it if you get the chance.

Last edited on Tue May 14th, 2019 03:48 pm by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5328
Status: 
Offline
Oh by the way, there aren't too many people associated with wrestling that I can't stand as much as I can't stand Sam Roberts.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5328
Status: 
Offline
Second note - is X-Pac's dog alive?



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9542
Status: 
Offline
I knew nothing about the Hart vs Magee match.

Last Battle was a little letdown, but I still enjoyed it.

One of my Holy Grails just recently had silent clips released from somebody who filmed it from the TV screen......The Valiants vs Rivera & Denucci.

I was holding out hope for a clean copy if this, but I think I was wrong about what remains in the vault.



____________________
“Anybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)“

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4237
Status: 
Offline
In the documentary, I thought Tom Magee came off as a nice, down to earth guy who seemed at peace with not making it big in professional wrestling and genuinely flattered that fans considered this match to be an important part of pro wrestling folklore.

The match and Tom Magee need to be looked at through fall of 1986 eyes, not weathered 2019 eyes. In 1986, the average WWF match was pretty lousy. Guys were already largely on the juice and the roster looked much different physically compared to 1983, but things were still a ways from the freakish looks of 1989.

So here comes Tom Magee. He is muscular. He has great strength. He is ripped and defined to a degree I don't recall anyone in pro wrestling being at that time except for Rick Rude. He can do flips that next to no one in the United States and Canada was doing at the time except Owen Hart and Lanny Poffo who were much smaller guys. He wasn't handsome, but neither was Hulk Hogan, but at least this guy had good hair. Tom Magee was very green, but Bret Hart did a great job of carrying him and making him look decent and certainly full of potential. The idea then was not to get him on TV, but keep him off of it and get him more experience and skill. He wasn't close to the finished article, the holes in his game are evident, but I can absolutely see why Vince was so enthusiastic.

The match was fine, but wasn't spectacular. The aura about it was the idea that people knew it existed, but no one had ever seen it. The unavailability and the hope it might be out there somewhere was what drove interest.

Last edited on Tue May 14th, 2019 04:40 pm by tamalie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13099
Status: 
Offline
I didn't think McGee was that bad. He was more suited for the 1960s than the 1980s. He probably needed another 6 mos of training and a manager to do the mic work. He vs AA and vs Dibiase were decent matches.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 6863
Status: 
Offline
Papa Voo wrote:
One of my Holy Grails just recently had silent clips released from somebody who filmed it from the TV screen......The Valiants vs Rivera & Denucci.

I was holding out hope for a clean copy if this, but I think I was wrong about what remains in the vault.
I know which one you mean because I belong to the same FB group. The match was really unwatchable. I mean the concept that you could so anything from that era no matter how lousy is pretty cool but this was just a mess. The same guy also had an even holier grail when he put up Arion turning on Strongbow. Once again though the video quality, no sound, and the black and white TV it was recorded from with a 1970's camera just made it a horrendous experience. I had to laugh at the mod in that group getting all butthurt because he posts a stock publicity picture of Frankie Williams which gets like 80 "likes" and the Valiants title change only got around 15 "likes". Wrestling fans......sheesh.



____________________
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) October 8, 2009
hello @Paula_Deen you have midget pig dick and dead dog tits I hope I see you I break your fucking fat neck bitch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48527
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: Papa Voo wrote:
One of my Holy Grails just recently had silent clips released from somebody who filmed it from the TV screen......The Valiants vs Rivera & Denucci.

I was holding out hope for a clean copy if this, but I think I was wrong about what remains in the vault.
I know which one you mean because I belong to the same FB group. The match was really unwatchable. I mean the concept that you could so anything from that era no matter how lousy is pretty cool but this was just a mess. The same guy also had an even holier grail when he put up Arion turning on Strongbow. Once again though the video quality, no sound, and the black and white TV it was recorded from with a 1970's camera just made it a horrendous experience. I had to laugh at the mod in that group getting all butthurt because he posts a stock publicity picture of Frankie Williams which gets like 80 "likes" and the Valiants title change only got around 15 "likes". Wrestling fans......sheesh.

I just hope that someone contributes to that mod's GoFundMe account.  Nothing worse than likes without the contributions to back it, you lazy freeloading wrestling fans.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 14th, 2019 05:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5328
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: WongLee wrote: Papa Voo wrote:
One of my Holy Grails just recently had silent clips released from somebody who filmed it from the TV screen......The Valiants vs Rivera & Denucci.

I was holding out hope for a clean copy if this, but I think I was wrong about what remains in the vault.
I know which one you mean because I belong to the same FB group. The match was really unwatchable. I mean the concept that you could so anything from that era no matter how lousy is pretty cool but this was just a mess. The same guy also had an even holier grail when he put up Arion turning on Strongbow. Once again though the video quality, no sound, and the black and white TV it was recorded from with a 1970's camera just made it a horrendous experience. I had to laugh at the mod in that group getting all butthurt because he posts a stock publicity picture of Frankie Williams which gets like 80 "likes" and the Valiants title change only got around 15 "likes". Wrestling fans......sheesh.

I just hope that someone contributes to that mod's GoFundMe account.  Nothing worse than likes without the contributions to back it, you lazy freeloading wrestling fans.
He's gotta stop nickle and diming the fu*Kers and just start banning because I'm sure there are at least 5000 people on his waiting list to just join the page.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:10 am Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Holy Grail v Holy Grail Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems