WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > NFL Moving To 18 Games?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NFL Moving To 18 Games?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 16th, 2019 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 3633
Status: 
Online
Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: chrob61 wrote: Would the 18 game schedule cancel 2 of the exhibition games?
I'm sure that will be a negotiating point.  The owners won't want to but may have to compromise.


It's  what happened in the CFL when it went to 18 games.
4 exhibition games down to two. I think it leads to less prepared and inferior players making their respective teams. And ultimately the injury lists will swell.


Isn’t the CFL entirely made up of inferior players to begin with? 
 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 16th, 2019 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6066
Status: 
Offline
Franchise wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: chrob61 wrote: Would the 18 game schedule cancel 2 of the exhibition games?
I'm sure that will be a negotiating point.  The owners won't want to but may have to compromise.


It's  what happened in the CFL when it went to 18 games.
4 exhibition games down to two. I think it leads to less prepared and inferior players making their respective teams. And ultimately the injury lists will swell.


Isn’t the CFL entirely made up of inferior players to begin with? 
 

:D

I wouldn't say that really.
Good players to numerous to list but Warren Moon was in the CFL before the NFL
And many so called big name NFL'ers came to the CFL and shit the bed. Repeatedly.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jul 16th, 2019 11:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 3633
Status: 
Online
I was just giving you shit, I actually enjoy watching the CFL when I had/have the chance.



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 16th, 2019 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6066
Status: 
Offline
Honestly I'd say many games over the course of the season are better than the swill the NFL serves up.
On Friday night Lucky Whitehead returned the opening kick-off for a 104 yard touchdown. He could have kept running and never been caught.
Next possession our PR ran back the punt 84 yards to the opposition 4. 1 play later, TD.
One offensive play and we were up 14-0



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2112
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: Honestly I'd say many games over the course of the season are better than the swill the NFL serves up.
On Friday night Lucky Whitehead returned the opening kick-off for a 104 yard touchdown. He could have kept running and never been caught.
Next possession our PR ran back the punt 84 yards to the opposition 4. 1 play later, TD.
One offensive play and we were up 14-0
Gotta disagree here. I've been watching the CFL for 25 years. My biggest complaints: as an American, we only get to watch 1 game a week on average. If that game is a blowout, were screwed. I swear as God as my witness, it seems like 95% of every game is a squash. And more importantly, the QBs in the CFL are by and large horrible!! The top QBs in college football are light years better than the QBs in Canada.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 20th, 2019 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41697
Status: 
Offline
I think the 18 game thing will happen.

One criticism of the NFL is the 4-game preseason. How easy would it be to chop the preseason down to two games and tack on two games to the regular season?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 20th, 2019 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
nyhack56

 

Joined: Wed May 15th, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 81
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: I think the 18 game thing will happen.

One criticism of the NFL is the 4-game preseason. How easy would it be to chop the preseason down to two games and tack on two games to the regular season?

Because it makes the league look like hypocrites worrying about concussions and player safety and extending the regular season which will increase the chance of injury.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 12:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2112
Status: 
Offline
nyhack56 wrote: beejmi wrote: I think the 18 game thing will happen.

One criticism of the NFL is the 4-game preseason. How easy would it be to chop the preseason down to two games and tack on two games to the regular season?

Because it makes the league look like hypocrites worrying about concussions and player safety and extending the regular season which will increase the chance of injury.
If the NFL goes to 18 regular season games, eliminate two pre-season games, and limits all players by quarters or halfs or games to 16 total games, then it will not make the league look like hypocrites over safety issues. It will also pay respect to season and all-time record holders since they went to the 16 game season 40 years ago.
It's obviously not going to happen, just sayin' though.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Dr. Strangelove



Joined: Fri May 26th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 79
Status: 
Offline
I personally don't want to see it just because I'm so used to the 16-game schedule, plus the added games will likely mean more player injuries or meaningless games.

If it happens, though, I guess I'll get used to it.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 10:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41697
Status: 
Offline
I think the other thing is if you extend the season by two more weeks and have the Super Bowl later you run into "Washington's Birthday' and it sure would be cool to have the Super Bowl on Sunday and everyone off from the work the next day

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 21st, 2019 11:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
Aha....great point for those who get it off. Remember all of the talk of treating it like a holiday. 

Last edited on Sun Jul 21st, 2019 11:44 am by Papa Voo



____________________
“Anybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)“

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 26th, 2019 10:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2737
Status: 
Offline
I suspect that a number of season records and career records will fall in the upcoming years not because today's players are better than the former record holders but because they played two additional games each season throughout their careers.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:40 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > NFL Moving To 18 Games? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems