WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Ranking the Tarantino Films

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49837
Status: 
Offline
There are 9 official Tarantino-directed feature length films.  I've seen the first 8 so I'll only rank those.  1, 7, and 8 are very clear, but 2-6 are virtually interchangeable depending on the day as I loved them all.   

It becomes even more difficult if you add the movies that Tarantino only wrote, True Romance and From Dusk Til Dawn, both among my favorite movies of all-time as well.  Then there's Natural Born Killers, which Tarantino wrote the screenplay for but it was heavily re-written by Oliver Stone and others, so I don't consider that a true Tarantino movie (although it's also great).

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Kill Bill
4. Sin City
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Django Unchained
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Jackie Brown







Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6775
Status: 
Offline
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Kill Bill 1&2
Inglorious Bastards
Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
Reservior Dogs
Jackie Brown

Never seen Sin City..

Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6775
Status: 
Offline
BTW, as time goes on Pulp Fiction moves further down my list..I really can't sit through it anymore, I only ranked it as high as I did because I used to love it so much..

WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7146
Status: 
Online
1) Reservoir Dogs - lots of cop killing
2) Jackie Brown - great vehicle for Pam
3) Pulp Fiction - good "movie" movie. Characters were interesting
4) Kill Bill - another great saga and story
5) Django Unchained - the German guy was great
6) The Hateful Eight - way too much violence towards women.
7) Inglourious Basterds - didn't see it. Don't plan to.
8) Sin City - didn't see it. Don't plan to

Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6775
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote:
7) Inglourious Basterds - didn't see it. Don't plan to.


Watch it. The German guy was great. 

Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2119
Status: 
Offline
I've seen them all except for the new one.

1. Reservoir Dogs - One of my favorite movies of all-time
2. Pulp Fiction - A true classic
3. Django Unchained - Pretty much every character was great
4. Kill Bill - Especially Volume 1
5. Jackie Brown - Funny seeing DeNiro as a loser stoner
6. The Hateful 8 - The last 40 minutes were lame
7. Death Proof - Kurt Russell as a psycho heel is good
8. Inglorious Bastards - Not bad, but very disappointing

Natural Born Killers and True Romance were also two of my favorites

Last edited on Mon Aug 19th, 2019 10:00 pm by Heenan Fan

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6930
Status: 
Offline
Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller directed Sin City. Tarantino only guest directed one scene and it's not considered one of his nine movies. You missed out Death Proof.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6930
Status: 
Offline
As far as ranking them, I'll leave Death Proof to one side as it's supposed to be a B-movie. It's fun for what it is, though. After that, apart from Pulp and Dogs at the top and Hateful 8 at the bottom, I can't really separate the others meaningfully. The last half hour of Django really drag it down, and Jackie Brown being based on an Elmore Leonard novel mean it doesn't quite have the Tarantino feel of his other movies. He's been the last cinema auteur who can still make a dent at the box office for many many years now, which is quite depressing when you think about it.

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4388
Status: 
Offline
Married Jo wrote: WongLee wrote:
7) Inglourious Basterds - didn't see it. Don't plan to.


Watch it. The German guy was great. Only good thing about it though.  What the fuck was Brad Pitt's accent meant to be?
Indeed the problem with the film was the Basterds themselves.  There was a compelling storyline for Landa and Shoshanna alone, it didn't need Pitt and his motley crew, but I suppose there wouldn't have been enough meaningless violence without them. 

Basically, if Walz is on screen, the film works.  If he isn't, it doesn't.
Anyhoo.
1 Pulp2 Jackie
3 Kill4 Dogs5 Django6 Sin7 88 Basterds

BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3815
Status: 
Offline
Ranking those I've seen:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Reservoir Dogs

3. Kill Bill 2

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

5. Sin City

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill 1

Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Inglorious Bastards
4. Kill Bill 1

5. I would maybe put “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”

Sort out the rest without no real rankings.

Last edited on Tue Aug 20th, 2019 02:56 am by Papa Voo

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13316
Status: 
Online
9. Jackie Brown
8.Django
7.Deathproof
6.Hateful 8
5.Pulp Fiction
4.Once upon a Time...
3.Kill Bill 2
2.Kill Bill 1
1.Inglorious Bastards

DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 837
Status: 
Offline
From what I've seen in full, I'll go 

1. Kill Bill 1&2
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Death Proof
5. Jackie Brown (great cast, but slow as fuck and somewhat convoluted)

Last edited on Tue Aug 20th, 2019 06:05 pm by DJP

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1957
Status: 
Offline
my list has changed a few times over the years. this is the current one..
1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Django Unchained
5. Pulp Fiction - its a classic but I am burnt out on it.
6. Kill Bill 2
7. Death Proof
8. Reservoir Dogs
9. The Hateful Eight
10. Jackie Brown

Last edited on Tue Aug 20th, 2019 09:13 pm by Spatulapup

Superstar
Reigning Defending POTY


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico USA
Posts: 5748
Status: 
Offline
If you want to see some really good Tarantino work, watch the last two episodes of Season 5 of CSI. Really, really great shit that I forgot about until tonight when my wife was binging the season.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: There are 9 official Tarantino-directed feature length films.  I've seen the first 8 so I'll only rank those.  1, 7, and 8 are very clear, but 2-6 are virtually interchangeable depending on the day as I loved them all.   

It becomes even more difficult if you add the movies that Tarantino only wrote, True Romance and From Dusk Til Dawn, both among my favorite movies of all-time as well.  Then there's Natural Born Killers, which Tarantino wrote the screenplay for but it was heavily re-written by Oliver Stone and others, so I don't consider that a true Tarantino movie (although it's also great).

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Kill Bill
4. Sin City
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Django Unchained
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Jackie Brown







I agree with everything here except I would have Reservoir Dogs at 2 and IB at 5.  What are your thoughts on rating IB ahead of Res Dogs?

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: If you want to see some really good Tarantino work, watch the last two episodes of Season 5 of CSI. Really, really great shit that I forgot about until tonight when my wife was binging the season.The best and most creative CSI.  Tartantino said he would do it but there would be no "B" story like they usually have.  It was a great episode.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49837
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: srossi wrote: There are 9 official Tarantino-directed feature length films.  I've seen the first 8 so I'll only rank those.  1, 7, and 8 are very clear, but 2-6 are virtually interchangeable depending on the day as I loved them all.   

It becomes even more difficult if you add the movies that Tarantino only wrote, True Romance and From Dusk Til Dawn, both among my favorite movies of all-time as well.  Then there's Natural Born Killers, which Tarantino wrote the screenplay for but it was heavily re-written by Oliver Stone and others, so I don't consider that a true Tarantino movie (although it's also great).

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Kill Bill
4. Sin City
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Django Unchained
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Jackie Brown







I agree with everything here except I would have Reservoir Dogs at 2 and IB at 5.  What are your thoughts on rating IB ahead of Res Dogs?

Reservoir Dogs is a classic but I don't think it holds up as well as some of his stuff.  A little more violent and a little more light on the dialogue and plot devices that make his other movies classics.  I absolutely loved Basterds.  I wanted to see it again as soon as I left the theater, and I rarely feel that way about any movie.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1957
Status: 
Offline
i saw Basterds again recently and its still awesome. its funny but I remember how there were lots of people complaining about how slow it was but now its considered a tarantino classic. people talking about its 10 year anniversary. Once Upon a time in Hollywood has some of the same complaints. all of Tarantinos movies have slow parts. even Pulp Fiction. some people want to his movies to be non stop violence or action and they have never been like that.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6908
Status: 
Offline
I have seen them all and enjoyed each one.  I just loved Res Dogs.  For me, it ages very well.  Still have Pulp Fiction as #1 but that could change.  Every one of his films though is worth watching.  That is rare.  

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1957
Status: 
Offline
Tarantino's movies are different than everyone else's. I think that's one of the reasons they do well for the most part. people know you will see something different. my girlfriend thinks his movies are "weird" and that's why she likes them.lol

And his movies get people talking, this latest one has been the talk all over online. from people hating it to just loving it. I have seen it a couple times and after you see people in the lobby talking about it with each other. which is great that he can bring out the passion in movie goers.

Even in his movies that most people don't like I can still find things in it that I love. Death Proof is not considered his best by a long shot but it has one of the best car chases I have ever seen in a movie and Kurt Russell was awesome in it.

DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 837
Status: 
Offline
My two favorite scenes in RD are where Michael Madsen (Vic Vega) meets with Chris Penn's character and his dad (the wrestling scene) and of course when he tortures the cop and cuts off his ear. Every time I hear Stuck in the Middle With You I can't help but think of that.  

He's also my favorite character in Kill Bill. The alcoholic loser strip club bouncer that lives in a trailer in the middle of nowhere, but there's just something likeable about him and when he dies it kinda sucks. 

In short, Michael Madsen is cool as fuck.

Last edited on Fri Aug 30th, 2019 09:52 pm by DJP



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems