WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Who Shows Up On AEW On Wednesday Night Unexpectedly?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: Corona Virus, USA
Posts: 2988
Status: 
Offline
The Lex Luger on the first Nitro moment. Some say CM Punk, some say Jim Cornette. Cornette has been cutting heel promos on his podcasts against AEW for months. I would like to see Corny as an oldschool asshole heel. He can lead an oldschool heel faction.


Last edited on Tue Oct 1st, 2019 07:21 am by Heenan Fan

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: Corona Virus, USA
Posts: 2988
Status: 
Offline
Tommy Dreamer - Kinda doesn't count though. Tommy is the Samuel L. Jackson of pro wrestling - he shows up everywhere.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7391
Status: 
Online
If AEW have an ace in the hole, they need to advertise. The first Nitro was unopposed, so having Luger as a surprise worked because there was no other wrestling to watch that night. If CM Punk turned up unannounced tomorrow night, they will have missed out on a big chunk of the audience. If they have him and announce him, they will win the ratings war tomorrow night.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
Everyone expecting Punk is going to be sorely disappointed. He’s given less than zero indication that he’s interested in AEW and has made them look bad for chasing him. He has a better chance of going back to WWE and being a surprise on Smackdown.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Blue Ball, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6125
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Everyone expecting Punk is going to be sorely disappointed. He’s given less than zero indication that he’s interested in AEW and has made them look bad for chasing him. He has a better chance of going back to WWE and being a surprise on Smackdown.He got pissed that they were calling for him on Twitter and not actually calling him on the phone.  Which I honestly agree with and understand.  If you want a guy to work for you, you don't blast him on social media - you give him a call or at least send a text to find out if calling would be ok, and set up a time.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Blue Ball, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6125
Status: 
Offline
Oh yeah, and how many names are left that could surprise us? The only ones I can think of are Japanese because most of the US "names" are under contract already. I expected Gallows and Anderson but they re-signed a couple months back.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7391
Status: 
Online
There's a rumour out there that Jack Swagger will show up for AEW. That might be best left as a surprise, because that's a reason not to watch for me. Not that Swagger is so awful, but I'd rather watch anyone on NXT than Swagger.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Blue Ball, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6125
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: There's a rumour out there that Jack Swagger will show up for AEW. That might be best left as a surprise, because that's a reason not to watch for me. Not that Swagger is so awful, but I'd rather watch anyone on NXT than Swagger.That one actually makes sense.  But like you, I can't imagine that people will jump up to call their friends and tell them that Swagger is on TV.  Same goes for Ryback.  The two guys I was expecting were Enzo and Cass, but now Cass lost his shit again and is trying to get better.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Kriss wrote: There's a rumour out there that Jack Swagger will show up for AEW. That might be best left as a surprise, because that's a reason not to watch for me. Not that Swagger is so awful, but I'd rather watch anyone on NXT than Swagger.That one actually makes sense.  But like you, I can't imagine that people will jump up to call their friends and tell them that Swagger is on TV.  Same goes for Ryback.  The two guys I was expecting were Enzo and Cass, but now Cass lost his shit again and is trying to get better.

Cass is worthless. The smallest looking 7 footer ever who can’t work or talk. The only one with value is Enzo and that’s as a manager, not as a wrestler. If they figure that out and Enzo can keep his shit together, they might have something. 

Last edited on Tue Oct 1st, 2019 01:39 pm by srossi

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7391
Status: 
Online
To paraphrase Bret Hart, rossi, who are you to doubt Eli Cottonwood? Cass at least has some competition.

One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4520
Status: 
Online
Not sure what aspirations they would still have in wrestling but Damien Sandow in some form might have a spot from his Cody affiliation in the past. Others in that same boat who fell out of favor might include Alex Riley, Brad Maddox, Wade Barrett, Rycklon Stephens and Emma. Their outside interests may have allowed them to move past wrestling, but all of them could certainly come in to. some degree and I wouldn't be shocked.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18054
Status: 
Offline
One Fan Gang wrote: Not sure what aspirations they would still have in wrestling but Damien Sandow in some form might have a spot from his Cody affiliation in the past. Others in that same boat who fell out of favor might include Alex Riley, Brad Maddox, Wade Barrett, Rycklon Stephens and Emma. Their outside interests may have allowed them to move past wrestling, but all of them could certainly come in to. some degree and I wouldn't be shocked.
Don't know if he under contract but  Damien Sandow is in the NWA. He was at the first TV tapings. 

Last edited on Tue Oct 1st, 2019 04:53 pm by bpickering

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
bpickering wrote: One Fan Gang wrote: Not sure what aspirations they would still have in wrestling but Damien Sandow in some form might have a spot from his Cody affiliation in the past. Others in that same boat who fell out of favor might include Alex Riley, Brad Maddox, Wade Barrett, Rycklon Stephens and Emma. Their outside interests may have allowed them to move past wrestling, but all of them could certainly come in to. some degree and I wouldn't be shocked.
Don't know if he under contract but  Damien Sandow is in the NWA. He was at the first TV tapings. 

The NWA doesn’t typically have exclusive contracts, but the issue is that AEW wants them. All the indy guys have been having their “farewell matches” these past 2 weeks. I don’t blame AEW as they’ll never seem major league if half their talent keeps doing indy dates. 

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18054
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: bpickering wrote: One Fan Gang wrote: Not sure what aspirations they would still have in wrestling but Damien Sandow in some form might have a spot from his Cody affiliation in the past. Others in that same boat who fell out of favor might include Alex Riley, Brad Maddox, Wade Barrett, Rycklon Stephens and Emma. Their outside interests may have allowed them to move past wrestling, but all of them could certainly come in to. some degree and I wouldn't be shocked.
Don't know if he under contract but  Damien Sandow is in the NWA. He was at the first TV tapings. 

The NWA doesn’t typically have exclusive contracts, but the issue is that AEW wants them. All the indy guys have been having their “farewell matches” these past 2 weeks. I don’t blame AEW as they’ll never seem major league if half their talent keeps doing indy dates. 

I would at least since they are doing "TV" that they are under some contract. Can do Indys but not someones TV.  Be dumb to put someone on your tv show and not have one.  

cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3066
Status: 
Offline
Will it really even be a big deal if there are no surprise appearances? I know everyone is thinking Lex Lugar at the first Nitro, but there are fewer major stars in the business now than at any time in recent memory. Anyone less than a major star as a surprise will seem underwhelming at best and come across as minor league.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7391
Status: 
Online
I would love to see Wade Barrett back in wrestling. He was a fantastic talker. I guess he had a lot of injuries, but I think he deserved more than he got in WWE.

Brad Maddox on the other hand... They might as well bring in Barry Horowitz for all it would be worth.

If the AEW guys are being given exclusive, WWE-style, contracts, they need to start doing house shows. They can't pay the guys full time money for 52 nights of TV and 4 PPVs a year, not even factoring in that not everyone is on every show. On the other hand, if they are paying the wrestlers a sensible rate, the AEW schedule won't pay them what they were getting on the indies. I'm guessing some happy medium where AEW acts as their booking agent. "Hi, Cody, can we book the Young Bucks?" "No, but I can offer you the Librarians."

As I said earlier, Luger only worked because Nitro #1 was unopposed. They were banking on getting a good chuck of the Raw audience who would WTF when they saw Luger. AEW can't do this when they are up against NXT. They need to advertise to get people to watch in the first place. They can't just advertise "a surprise" because if it's not Punk, people will be disappointed. I think the AEW rodter is fine as it is. I can't think of anyone realistic that would move the needle for them. They need to just build a solid product and let the audience grow. I think one advantage they have is that NXT is on the WWE Network the very next day, and they have the replay on TNT straight away. People don't HAVE to choose one or the other, it's pretty easy to watch both without getting spoilers. It's not 1995-2001 anymore (a mistake TNA made). This wrestling war will play out differently, and it's possible for both AEW and NXT to win.

One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4520
Status: 
Online
Ultimately I think the finite wrestling audience as it stands can have all their preconceived notions of what veterans will get them to watch but if a bunch of newly exposed talent can be seen by new viewers and make regular fans of them in the process, AEW can carve out a niche. I don't know what other TV might compete on Wednesdays but I will be interested to see how they compare to more than just NXT.

cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3066
Status: 
Offline
So who’s watching tonight? And if you are, do you still watch the weekly Raw/Smackdown/NXT shows? I plan on tuning in to see what it’s all about but I haven’t watched an entire WWE show in years. Looking forward to a new alternative if nothing else for the first time in awhile.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
Sports Illustrated is reporting that Jack Swagger is a lock.

carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12076
Status: 
Offline
Lex Luger will be the big surprise.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Blue Ball, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6125
Status: 
Offline
I plan on putting this on TV regardless of whether or not I watch it. I want Nielsen to see that this family is watching it.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: I plan on putting this on TV regardless of whether or not I watch it. I want Nielsen to see that this family is watching it.
Do you have a Neilsen box?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
My goal is for AEW and NXT together to eventually get about 4 million viewers, doubling that of Raw and Smackdown. I think that will send a message, and it can happen because history shows that competition can expand audiences instead of contract them.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Blue Ball, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6125
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Superstar wrote: I plan on putting this on TV regardless of whether or not I watch it. I want Nielsen to see that this family is watching it.
Do you have a Neilsen box?
No, but if I stream TNT through my Hulu it automatically gets detected unless I change a setting to not allow tracking. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
AEW is running a poll on Twitter on who the fans would like them to sign. Ryback and Wade Barrett are included. Others include Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, Tessa Blanchard, Will Osprey, Tama Tonga, and Madison Rayne (that last one is pretty random).

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: Corona Virus, USA
Posts: 2988
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: AEW is running a poll on Twitter on who the fans would like them to sign. Ryback and Wade Barrett are included. Others include Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, Tessa Blanchard, Will Osprey, Tama Tonga, and Madison Rayne (that last one is pretty random).Of just those srossi listed:
Will Osprey
Marty Scuril
Flip Gordon
Tama Tonga

Last edited on Sat Oct 5th, 2019 05:36 am by Heenan Fan

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51257
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: srossi wrote: AEW is running a poll on Twitter on who the fans would like them to sign. Ryback and Wade Barrett are included. Others include Marty Scurll, Flip Gordon, Tessa Blanchard, Will Osprey, Tama Tonga, and Madison Rayne (that last one is pretty random).Of just those srossi listed:
Will Osprey
Marty Scuril
Flip Gordon
Tama Tonga


Meltzer is reporting that WWE is going hard after Scurll, but obviously Scurll is good friends with the AEW crew.  His ROH contract ends before the end of the year and ROH wants him back but that seems unlikely.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems