WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > RATE THIS CLASSIC --THE ROAD WARRIORS vs THE ROCKERS 1991 MARTY/SHAWN BREAKUP STARTS

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
RATE THIS CLASSIC --THE ROAD WARRIORS vs THE ROCKERS 1991 MARTY/SHAWN BREAKUP STARTS  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 08:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41699
Status: 
Offline
First hint of the Shawn/Marty breakup that I ever remember

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 01:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7131
Status: 
Offline
The working in that match was superb. The ending sequence required excellent timing and placement and all four guys came through. Was this considered a face vs. face match? That would have been very rare for the WWF at the time.



____________________
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) October 8, 2009
hello @Paula_Deen you have midget pig dick and dead dog tits I hope I see you I break your fucking fat neck bitch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49786
Status: 
Offline
Going completely from memory here, but IIRC there was a Shawn-Flair match in which Flair won thanks to Marty doing something that screwed him over. Perhaps Shawn got bumped to the floor and Marty threw him back in the ring to "help" and then Shawn was immediately pinned.  Something like that.  I'm not sure if this was before or after that LOD match. It's obviously notable for being a dream match before anyone knew that it would be a dream match.

Last edited on Wed Oct 9th, 2019 02:25 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Superstar
Reigning Defending POTY


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico USA
Posts: 5740
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Going completely from memory here, but IIRC there was a Shawn-Flair match in which Flair won thanks to Marty doing something that screwed him over. Perhaps Shawn got bumped to the floor and Marty threw him back in the ring to "help" and then Shawn was immediately pinned.  Something like that.  I'm not sure if this was before or after that LOD match. It's obviously notable for being a dream match before anyone knew that it would be a dream match.You are spot on.  HBK got KO'ed on the floor, I think he got posted.  Marty came over and picked him up and rolled him into the ring so he wouldn't get counted out, and Flair pinned him immediately.  Flair was either the "Real World's Champion", had just won the WWF Title, or had just lost the belt but was not on the downhill run towards going back to WCW yet.  It was Flair close to the top of his game, and it was a good match that really came off as a great match because it was on their syndicated TV.  But nobody gave a shit about HBK yet.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 836
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: srossi wrote: Going completely from memory here, but IIRC there was a Shawn-Flair match in which Flair won thanks to Marty doing something that screwed him over. Perhaps Shawn got bumped to the floor and Marty threw him back in the ring to "help" and then Shawn was immediately pinned.  Something like that.  I'm not sure if this was before or after that LOD match. It's obviously notable for being a dream match before anyone knew that it would be a dream match.You are spot on.  HBK got KO'ed on the floor, I think he got posted.  Marty came over and picked him up and rolled him into the ring so he wouldn't get counted out, and Flair pinned him immediately.  Flair was either the "Real World's Champion", had just won the WWF Title, or had just lost the belt but was not on the downhill run towards going back to WCW yet.  It was Flair close to the top of his game, and it was a good match that really came off as a great match because it was on their syndicated TV.  But nobody gave a shit about HBK yet.

The match aired in Dec. 1991 so Flair was still doing the Real World Champion gimmick (using the WWF tag team design belt in your pic that they digitized for TV).  Shawn went for a cross body over the top rope but hit his head on the railing. 

The first hint I remember of there being trouble was during a squash match. Marty went to tag Shawn but he wasn't in the corner paying attention. He was further down on the apron distracted by something, maybe talking to a fan.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41699
Status: 
Offline
Great memory on this. Wasn't that obvious. Maybe looking backwards at it now.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2113
Status: 
Offline
Yeah, the Michaels' turn was built up slowly from November 1991-January 1992. It was obvious if you were smart, but I could probably see where casual fans, especially teenage girls, ate up the storyline. The reason this slow turn was so good was because the taping schedule at the time. They taped 3 weeks worth of Superstars and Challenge, so they knew where they were going storyline wise. If the same story/turn would of happened in WWE today with their weekly booking, Michaels would of turned on him out of nowhere. Or after a 3 week build, the writers would drop it because it didn't pop a quarter hour in the ratings, or just simply forgotten about, or senile Vince nixing it. Yada, yada, yada.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 9th, 2019 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 836
Status: 
Offline
There was another miscommunication spot at Survivor Series 91 to build up to the breakup where one was either on the giving or receiving end of a bodyslam. The other one got accidentally kicked in the face (think it was Shawn) and it led to an elimination. 



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 10th, 2019 12:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1207
Status: 
Offline
Back in April of 1991, on the final NBC SNME of the original run, there was a battle royal, won by Curt Hennig, in which Michaels was made to look like a star. To me, that was the first sign he could move to the singles ranks.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 10th, 2019 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: Back in April of 1991, on the final NBC SNME of the original run, there was a battle royal, won by Curt Hennig, in which Michaels was made to look like a star. To me, that was the first sign he could move to the singles ranks.
For me it was The Flair Match...



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 10th, 2019 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2113
Status: 
Offline
I thought Shawn Michaels was going to be a huge singles star in late 1986 watching the Midnight Rockers vs. Buddy Rose and Doug Somers fued. No bullshit, and I can prove it. I collected all the AWA Remco action figures and when the Midnight Rocker figures came out in 1987, I immediately bought them and booked Shawn to upset Horseman Lex Luger for the IC title. My He-Man figure was Lex :). Seriously it was very obvious, at least imo, that Shawn was gonna be a huge star if you got AWA TV in 1986-1987.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 10:14 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > RATE THIS CLASSIC --THE ROAD WARRIORS vs THE ROCKERS 1991 MARTY/SHAWN BREAKUP STARTS Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems