WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > WWE HOF 2020 Inductees

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Headlining the Class of 2020 will be the NWO (Hogan, Nash, Hall, Syxx) and Batista. 

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Spread Eagle, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 6464
Status: 
Offline
Odd choices to say the least. Not "bad", just odd. Batista has had such a back and forth relationship with them, but I would bet that his last run where he fought HHH probably included this in the deal. As a main eventer for eight years, he deserves it no matter what many people will say. The NWO is really odd, as their run in WWE was pretty much the drizzling shits. And a lot of people think that they were the sole reason that WCW went out of business. But when I think of the NWO, it's not as a positive for the business, it's as a negative. They were take, take, take, and very little give. While the majority of what we saw on TV was scripted that way, some of it wasn't, and the backstage political bullshit hurt the business to a point that we as fans have only started to recover from in the past four years.

cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3114
Status: 
Offline
Seems a bit early to be announcing these already. They’re not even close to the Rumble yet.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8186
Status: 
Offline
Sean Waltman shouldn't be in there once, but somehow he's made it in twice. It pays to have friends in high places.

Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2083
Status: 
Online
Superstar wrote: Odd choices to say the least. Not "bad", just odd. Batista has had such a back and forth relationship with them, but I would bet that his last run where he fought HHH probably included this in the deal. As a main eventer for eight years, he deserves it no matter what many people will say. The NWO is really odd, as their run in WWE was pretty much the drizzling shits. And a lot of people think that they were the sole reason that WCW went out of business. But when I think of the NWO, it's not as a positive for the business, it's as a negative. They were take, take, take, and very little give. While the majority of what we saw on TV was scripted that way, some of it wasn't, and the backstage political bullshit hurt the business to a point that we as fans have only started to recover from in the past four years.

"The NWO is really odd, as their run in WWE was pretty much the drizzling shits."



-This clearly isn’t limited to WWE runs, otherwise the 4-Horsemen, Goldberg, DDP, Verne Gagne, etc. wouldn’t be in there.



 "And a lot of people think that they were the sole reason that WCW went out of business."

 
-I think they are the sole reason WCW’s popularity got as high as it did.  When they came in business took off for WCW.



"But when I think of the NWO, it's not as a positive for the business, it's as a negative. They were take, take, take, and very little give."



-Who would Goldberg be without the nWo?  How about DDP?  Big Poppa Pump?  Buff Bagwell?



"the backstage political bull hurt the business to a point that we as fans have only started to recover from in the past four years."


-I guess I don’t understand this comment at all.  WWE’s ratings are much lower now than they were 5 years ago.





Last edited on Mon Dec 9th, 2019 06:25 pm by Boz1515

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6899
Status: 
Online
Got to love the NWO - I guess members 4 (Giant) and 5 (was it DiBiase?) didn’t make the mark. Had to go with Syxx.

Fun trivia

Who was 7?

8?

9?

Vincent has to come pretty close after Syxx. But after that, it was a quick dropoff. Bischoff? Then who? Rotundo and Norton?

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8186
Status: 
Offline
nWo Sting? Elizabeth? They were there early on.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Spread Eagle, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 6464
Status: 
Offline
Boz1515 wrote: Superstar wrote: Odd choices to say the least. Not "bad", just odd. Batista has had such a back and forth relationship with them, but I would bet that his last run where he fought HHH probably included this in the deal. As a main eventer for eight years, he deserves it no matter what many people will say. The NWO is really odd, as their run in WWE was pretty much the drizzling shits. And a lot of people think that they were the sole reason that WCW went out of business. But when I think of the NWO, it's not as a positive for the business, it's as a negative. They were take, take, take, and very little give. While the majority of what we saw on TV was scripted that way, some of it wasn't, and the backstage political bullshit hurt the business to a point that we as fans have only started to recover from in the past four years.

"The NWO is really odd, as their run in WWE was pretty much the drizzling shits."



-This clearly isn’t limited to WWE runs, otherwise the 4-Horsemen, Goldberg, DDP, Verne Gagne, etc. wouldn’t be in there.



 "And a lot of people think that they were the sole reason that WCW went out of business."

 
-I think they are the sole reason WCW’s popularity got as high as it did.  When they came in business took off for WCW.



"But when I think of the NWO, it's not as a positive for the business, it's as a negative. They were take, take, take, and very little give."



-Who would Goldberg be without the nWo?  How about DDP?  Big Poppa Pump?  Buff Bagwell?



"the backstage political bull hurt the business to a point that we as fans have only started to recover from in the past four years."


-I guess I don’t understand this comment at all.  WWE’s ratings are much lower now than they were 5 years ago.





First - I fully understand that it's not just about your WWE run.  I get that.  But the whole NWO name is looked at a lot more for the negativity than the positivity.  You are correct in saying that business took off in WCW when the NWO came to be.  I know about all of the weeks that WCW won the "ratings war".  But once they lost the ratings war, they were out of business in two years.  I personally don't blame the NWO for that, but when you pile bullshit on top of bullshit, and you are dealing with multi billion dollar corporate entities that look at the bottom line as a fluid number, everybody in the NWO was just as accountable as Bischoff and Russo because of how/when/why they exercised their Creative Control clauses.  Goldberg would be just fine without the NWO because he would've been programmed with Hogan, Savage, Hall, and Nash anyway.  Without the NWO, he doesn't get beaten with a cattle prod - he gets beaten properly to end the streak.  And lets get real here, neither Bagwell nor Steiner did much of anything after WCW ended, other than take paychecks from any organization that would pay them.  Finally...when you say that you don't understand my comment about fans just now starting to recover, then you bring up WWE's ratings as the argument, you just are telling me that you don't see how things work in 2019.  Ratings aren't even the same as a year ago, and it is due to a number of factors - the most telling factor is how many households have dropped cable TV.  Take a look at the bloodletting ESPN has had as far as ratings go the past couple years, or try and break out their piece from Disney's financials.  It's not because the network all of a sudden sucks, it's because people aren't watching TV the same way.  There is a lot more viewing online streams (legal and not legal), viewing on DVR delay, viewing at bars, and in WWE's case, losing fans that don't watch at all.  My point about us fans just now recovering has zero to do with ratings, and everything to do with the viewing alternatives.  WWE never gained WCW's audience when Nitro ended, the ratings stayed about the same.  And from 2001-2010, what could you conceivably watch on TV?  WWE, TNA, and in some places ROH.  You now still have all three on TV, along with AEW, NXT, NJPW, WOW, and in some places, MLW.  And I'm sure there's more I'm missing.  But for the first time since WCW died, there are actually alternatives on TV if you so choose to watch them.

Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2083
Status: 
Online
I think Randy Savage was a far more significant nWo member than X-Pac.

DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 1027
Status: 
Offline
I don't get the logic of adding Waltman to the original 3. Giant,  DiBiase, and maybe (I'm not sure) Fake Sting were in before him. But obviously it's political because he was part of the Kliq and he, Hall and Nash were known as the original Wolfpac. Also think Savage meant more to the NWO than Syxx 

Last edited on Mon Dec 9th, 2019 08:20 pm by DJP

Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2083
Status: 
Online
Superstar wrote:



First - I fully understand that it's not just about your WWE run.  I get that.  But the whole NWO name is looked at a lot more for the negativity than the positivity.  You are correct in saying that business took off in WCW when the NWO came to be.  I know about all of the weeks that WCW won the "ratings war".  But once they lost the ratings war, they were out of business in two years.  I personally don't blame the NWO for that, but when you pile bullshit on top of bullshit, and you are dealing with multi billion dollar corporate entities that look at the bottom line as a fluid number, everybody in the NWO was just as accountable as Bischoff and Russo because of how/when/why they exercised their Creative Control clauses.  Goldberg would be just fine without the NWO because he would've been programmed with Hogan, Savage, Hall, and Nash anyway.  Without the NWO, he doesn't get beaten with a cattle prod - he gets beaten properly to end the streak.  And lets get real here, neither Bagwell nor Steiner did much of anything after WCW ended, other than take paychecks from any organization that would pay them.  Finally...when you say that you don't understand my comment about fans just now starting to recover, then you bring up WWE's ratings as the argument, you just are telling me that you don't see how things work in 2019.  Ratings aren't even the same as a year ago, and it is due to a number of factors - the most telling factor is how many households have dropped cable TV.  Take a look at the bloodletting ESPN has had as far as ratings go the past couple years, or try and break out their piece from Disney's financials.  It's not because the network all of a sudden sucks, it's because people aren't watching TV the same way.  There is a lot more viewing online streams (legal and not legal), viewing on DVR delay, viewing at bars, and in WWE's case, losing fans that don't watch at all.  My point about us fans just now recovering has zero to do with ratings, and everything to do with the viewing alternatives.  WWE never gained WCW's audience when Nitro ended, the ratings stayed about the same.  And from 2001-2010, what could you conceivably watch on TV?  WWE, TNA, and in some places ROH.  You now still have all three on TV, along with AEW, NXT, NJPW, WOW, and in some places, MLW.  And I'm sure there's more I'm missing.  But for the first time since WCW died, there are actually alternatives on TV if you so choose to watch them.


But the whole NWO name is looked at a lot more for the negativity than the positivity.

 

 -Says who?  The internet wrestling community? LOL.  Many casual and former wrestling fans who moved away from the WWF product after Hogan’s run credit the nWo as the reason they returned to watching wrestling.  Did you forget about all the people running around in nWo shirts from 1996-1998?  The ratings, attendance, and merchandise sales at that time indicate that the nWo was seen as a positive to many.







You are correct in saying that business took off in WCW when the NWO came to be.  I know about all of the weeks that WCW won the "ratings war".  But once they lost the ratings war, they were out of business in two years.  I personally don't blame the NWO for that, but when you pile bullshit on top of bullshit, and you are dealing with multi billion dollar corporate entities that look at the bottom line as a fluid number, everybody in the NWO was just as accountable as Bischoff and Russo because of how/when/why they exercised their Creative Control clauses.



- Bischoff has gone on record numerous times saying the addition of Thunder and the inability to keep up with all of the extra hours of programming being the primary reason for the creative downfall in WCW.  That sounds like the corporate problem you are referring to.  He has also said creative control wasn’t that big a deal.  Bischoff was there, the internet nerds who have been writing about creative control for 20 years were not.







And lets get real here, neither Bagwell nor Steiner did much of anything after WCW ended 


- I’m not saying they did, but their biggest opportunities were created by the nWo.  No one ever talks about that, because they are not Chris Benoit, Jericho, Saturn, Malenko, Guerrero, Mysterio, etc.  You know, the latter who went to the WWE and complained about not getting a push when the nWo was on top.  That's why guys like DDP, Luger, Bagwell, Sting, etc. aren't complaining.  They got the pushes.  Not everybody can work on top all at the same time.  Same kind of thing happens today.







 Finally...when you say that you don't understand my comment about fans just now starting to recover, then you bring up WWE's ratings as the argument, you just are telling me that you don't see how things work in 2019.  



- LOL.  It’s not just ratings.  Everyone knows about different viewing options in the present day.  Ratings do matter, (ask Fox)  just not nearly as much as they did back then.  Here's another example:  When Goldberg took the belt off of nWo Hogan, how many people were in the Georgia Dome for the tv show Nitro?  40,000 people?  How many sections are regularly tarped off for Raw and Smackdown these days in much smaller venues?  I don’t see those tv shows drawing live attendance like Nitro did in those days (thanks to the nWo).  Sure, there are plenty of different options now, but none of them are in WCW’s league from those days.  The nWo brought more eyes to the product than many of those other promotions combined. 

 




WWE never gained WCW's audience when Nitro ended, the ratings stayed about the same. 



-Agreed.  WCW’s audience was already dead at that point.  I don’t see that as a direct correlation to the nWo.  It’s not the nWo's fault David Arquette was running around with the title, Mike Awesome was into fat chicks, and the 300 other terrible ideas Vince Russo and company had.


WWE had an opportunity to regain some of WCW's audience down the road with the Invasion angle, but they completely botched that.  I don't think that was the nWo's fault either.





Last edited on Mon Dec 9th, 2019 09:04 pm by Boz1515

DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 1027
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: Got to love the NWO - I guess members 4 (Giant) and 5 (was it DiBiase?) didn’t make the mark. Had to go with Syxx.

Fun trivia

Who was 7?

8?

9?

Vincent has to come pretty close after Syxx. But after that, it was a quick dropoff. Bischoff? Then who? Rotundo and Norton?

Vincent came after Syxx then it was Bischoff. Liz was also forced somewhere in there. Then Bagwell. Eric gave all WCW people 30 days to convert their contracts to NWO and Bagwell was the first to step forward. Then I think it was Chono, Big Bubba, Wallstreet, and Norton in one fell swoop.

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 4015
Status: 
Offline
1. Hall
2. Nash
3. Hogan
4. DiBiase 8/26/96
5. Giant 9/2/96
6. nWo Sting 9/9/96 he debuted attacking Luger,  but I think he officially joined after Syxx?
7. Waltman 9/16/96
8. Vincent 9/23/96
9. Elizabeth 9/30/96
10. Bischoff 11/18/96

Last edited on Mon Dec 9th, 2019 09:47 pm by Heenan Fan

krazykid18
The Prophet
 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 2010
Status: 
Offline
Wwe is mad cheap with the oil money, fox money, USA money you can induct the whole nwo lmao

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Batista has requested that Fit Finlay induct him, which is a strange choice but Finlay basically taught him how to wrestle. I wouldn’t be surprised if WWE vetoes that one though and has HHH do it (of course).

The Doc



Joined: Mon Apr 8th, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 106
Status: 
Offline
I get that the HOF is all about a TV show for the network. Would like to see Ivan Koloff and Ken Patera in though. Demolition as well. Lawsuits and one being a loose cannon prevent that from happening I'm sure.

Last edited on Mon Dec 9th, 2019 11:57 pm by The Doc

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
The Doc wrote: I get that the HOF is all about a TV show. Would like to see Ivan Koloff and Ken Patera in though. Demolition as well. Lawsuits and one being a loose cannon prevent that from happening I'm sure.
Since Koloff hasn’t been inducted yet he’s just going to be thrown into the Legacy wing one of these years. It’s a shame, I don’t understand why he didn’t get the nod more than a decade ago. Patera has limited appeal to today’s audience, a criminal record, and they don’t want to give him a live mic, so I have a better chance of getting in than he does. Demolition would clearly be in if not for the lawsuit. I feel like they’ll reach an agreement soon. 

Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2083
Status: 
Online
krazykid18 wrote: Wwe is mad cheap with the oil money, fox money, USA money you can induct the whole nwo lmao
It would be a full stage lol. 
 
NWO list 
1. Hollywood Hogan  
2. Scott Hall  
3. Kevin Nash  
4. Syxx  
5. The Giant  
6. Randy Savage  
7. Buff Bagwell  
8. Scott Norton  
9. Eric Bischoff  
10. nWo Sting  
11. Elizabeth  
12. Curt Hennig  
13. Vincent  
14. Rick Rude  
15. Stevie Ray  
16. Konnan  
17. Big Bubba Rogers  
18. Michael Wallstreet  
19. Ted Dibiase  
20. The Disciple  
21. Bret Hart  
22. Brian Adams  
23. Scott Steiner  
24. Dennis Rodman  
25. Dusty Rhodes  
26. Horace Hogan  
27. Sting  
28. Lex Luger  
29. David Flair  
30. Disco Inferno  
31. Masahiro Chono  
32. The Great Muta  
33. Jeff Jarrett  
34. Ron Harris  
35. Don Harris  
 
WWE List  
1. Hollywood Hogan  
2. Scott Hall  
3. Kevin Nash  
4. Syxx  
5. Big Show  
6. Shawn Michaels  
7. Booker T  
8. Goldust 


srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
That list seems to be in order except for DiBiase, who should be one of the first.  Also, I thought Jarret’s version had more than just the Harris Twins in it. 

Last edited on Tue Dec 10th, 2019 12:10 am by srossi

Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2083
Status: 
Online
srossi wrote: That list seems to be in order except for DiBiase, who should be one of the first.  Also, I thought Jarret’s version had more than just the Harris Twins in it. It's hard to remember lol

Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 7006
Status: 
Offline
NWO should be 4 people and that’s it: Hogan, Nash, Hall and Bischoff.

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 4015
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: 1. Hall
2. Nash
3. Hogan
4. DiBiase 8/26/96
5. Giant 9/2/96
6. nWo Sting 9/9/96 he debuted attacking Luger,  but I think he officially joined after Syxx?
7. Waltman 9/16/96
8. Vincent 9/23/96
9. Elizabeth 9/30/96
10. Bischoff 11/18/96

11. Buff Bagwell 11/25/96
12. Michael Wall Street 12/9/96
13.-15. Big Bubba Rogers, Scott Norton, and Masahiro Chono 12/16/96
16. Randy Savage 2/23/97
17. & 18. The Great Muta and Hiroyoshi Tenzan 5/26/97
19. Konnan 7/14/97
20. Curt Hennig 9/14/97
21. Rick Rude 11/17/97
22. Louie Spicolli 1/17/98
23. Dusty Rhodes 1/24/98
24. Brian Adams 2/16/98
25. Scott Steiner 2/22/98
26. The Disciple 2/23/98
27. Nick Patrick 2/27/98
28. Lex Luger (nWo Wolfpack) 5/25/98
29. Sting (nWo Wolfpack) 6/1/98 
30. Stevie Ray 8/24/98
31. Horace Hogan 10/26/98
32. & 33. David Flair and Torrie Wilson 2/21/99
34. & 35. Bret Hart and Jeff Jarrett 12/20/99
36. The Harris Brothers 1/5/2000


Last edited on Tue Dec 10th, 2019 06:30 am by Heenan Fan

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4695
Status: 
Offline
8. Kyle Petty (September 1996)

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8186
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan has clearly digested the Wikipedia page on the nWo.

A couple of pedantic points, though. nWo Sting is difficult to pinpoint. When he debuted, we were supposed to believe that he WAS Sting. In fact, I don't think the nWo ever acknowledged that their Sting was a fake. I don't think he ever officially joined the nWo (in the US, in Japan he did). He was more like a prop. Looking through the few "matches" he had in WCW, they always pretended that he was (or might be) the real Sting. Prompting Tony to say many times "That's not the real Sting."

Louie Spiccoli was Scott Hall's valet, and I believe that he was refereed to as a "prospect" but I don't think he ever got officially join before he died.

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 4015
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: Heenan Fan has clearly digested the Wikipedia page on the nWo.

A couple of pedantic points, though. nWo Sting is difficult to pinpoint. When he debuted, we were supposed to believe that he WAS Sting. In fact, I don't think the nWo ever acknowledged that their Sting was a fake. I don't think he ever officially joined the nWo (in the US, in Japan he did). He was more like a prop. Looking through the few "matches" he had in WCW, they always pretended that he was (or might be) the real Sting. Prompting Tony to say many times "That's not the real Sting."

Louie Spiccoli was Scott Hall's valet, and I believe that he was refereed to as a "prospect" but I don't think he ever got officially join before he died.
I can't disagree with any of this.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8186
Status: 
Offline
It was a shame that the baby Jeebus told Ted DiBiase that he couldn't be a heel wrestling manager if he wanted to get into heaven. He was great in that role, and him bankrolling the nWo made perfect sense. He was completely pointless as the Steiners' face manager. If they had used Ted better, they could have held off on Eric becoming the leader of the nWo, or even better, not done that at all.

Last edited on Tue Dec 10th, 2019 06:50 am by Kriss

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 7136
Status: 
Offline
Below is the definitive list of everyone who wasn't a part of some idiot faction of the NWO at one point or another.

















srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: It was a shame that the baby Jeebus told Ted DiBiase that he couldn't be a heel wrestling manager if he wanted to get into heaven. He was great in that role, and him bankrolling the nWo made perfect sense. He was completely pointless as the Steiners' face manager. If they had used Ted better, they could have held off on Eric becoming the leader of the nWo, or even better, not done that at all.
I never heard that DiBiase left the NWO because of Jesus.  I think good old-fashioned bad booking is likely the culprit.  DiBiase has played heel in the years since.  In fact, he even went on the road with his Christian ministry and put on shows where he was the heel and then would repent in the end.  I've never heard that he became so crazy that he couldn't separate fantasy from reality.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Both announcements were made on Raw last night, which was strange because it's so early and they shot their load all in one night. None of the other HOF announcements from now until March will be that interesting.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8186
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: It was a shame that the baby Jeebus told Ted DiBiase that he couldn't be a heel wrestling manager if he wanted to get into heaven. He was great in that role, and him bankrolling the nWo made perfect sense. He was completely pointless as the Steiners' face manager. If they had used Ted better, they could have held off on Eric becoming the leader of the nWo, or even better, not done that at all.
I never heard that DiBiase left the NWO because of Jesus.  I think good old-fashioned bad booking is likely the culprit.  DiBiase has played heel in the years since.  In fact, he even went on the road with his Christian ministry and put on shows where he was the heel and then would repent in the end.  I've never heard that he became so crazy that he couldn't separate fantasy from reality.


Hmmmm. I'm sure I read somewhere that he wasn't happy being a heel on TV every week, but I must be thinking of someone else... Here's a quote about why he left the nWo:

"Basically, I think they tagged me as Billionaire Ted. I was supposed to be the mouthpiece and financial backer of the nWo but what really happened as this thing got hotter, Eric Bischoff saw where he could slip himself into the role that he hired me for. And that's what he did. So, a couple weeks go by and I'm not having anything to say anymore, I'm just walking out there, standing in the corner with the rest of the gang. And I just went to Eric and I said look, I said I didn't spend my career so I could end it being Hulk Hogan's belt wearer. I'm not Virgil. I said if you want to have my job, great. You hired me, so do it, I said. Bottom line is, you still have to pay me. So he agreed. I went home and they brought me back as a babyface manager to the Steiner brothers, which really didn't make a whole lot of sense either."

They could have used him a lot more in the nWo than they did.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: It was a shame that the baby Jeebus told Ted DiBiase that he couldn't be a heel wrestling manager if he wanted to get into heaven. He was great in that role, and him bankrolling the nWo made perfect sense. He was completely pointless as the Steiners' face manager. If they had used Ted better, they could have held off on Eric becoming the leader of the nWo, or even better, not done that at all.
I never heard that DiBiase left the NWO because of Jesus.  I think good old-fashioned bad booking is likely the culprit.  DiBiase has played heel in the years since.  In fact, he even went on the road with his Christian ministry and put on shows where he was the heel and then would repent in the end.  I've never heard that he became so crazy that he couldn't separate fantasy from reality.


Hmmmm. I'm sure I read somewhere that he wasn't happy being a heel on TV every week, but I must be thinking of someone else... Here's a quote about why he left the nWo:

"Basically, I think they tagged me as Billionaire Ted. I was supposed to be the mouthpiece and financial backer of the nWo but what really happened as this thing got hotter, Eric Bischoff saw where he could slip himself into the role that he hired me for. And that's what he did. So, a couple weeks go by and I'm not having anything to say anymore, I'm just walking out there, standing in the corner with the rest of the gang. And I just went to Eric and I said look, I said I didn't spend my career so I could end it being Hulk Hogan's belt wearer. I'm not Virgil. I said if you want to have my job, great. You hired me, so do it, I said. Bottom line is, you still have to pay me. So he agreed. I went home and they brought me back as a babyface manager to the Steiner brothers, which really didn't make a whole lot of sense either."

They could have used him a lot more in the nWo than they did.

Yup, bad creative and Bischoff's ego.  In fairness though, DiBiase was a shell of his former self at this point and Bischoff did a better job in the role.  DiBiase was going through the motions for a payday even at the end with WWE as a manager/announcer, so with WCW he just didn't care at all.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2416
Status: 
Offline
it made way more sense for Bischoff to have the role and he was way better at it.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2416
Status: 
Offline
if they are going to include Waltman then it only makes sense to include Paul Wight. going by logic. but then the group list of inductee's start getting too big. just like the NWO did. lol ideally it should just be Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bischoff.

Last edited on Tue Dec 10th, 2019 06:31 pm by Spatulapup

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
Spatulapup wrote: if they are going to include Waltman then it only makes sense to include Paul Wight. going by logic. but then the group list of inductee's start getting two big. just like the NWO did. lol ideally it should just be Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bischoff.
I'm assuming The Giant isn't included because they want to make his first induction a big deal.  He will go in solo when he retires, without a doubt.  

cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3114
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: if they are going to include Waltman then it only makes sense to include Paul Wight. going by logic. but then the group list of inductee's start getting two big. just like the NWO did. lol ideally it should just be Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bischoff.
I'm assuming The Giant isn't included because they want to make his first induction a big deal.  He will go in solo when he retires, without a doubt.  

Is he even active anymore though?  I know he  hasn’t formally announced his retirement (and does anyone really do that anyway?), but how long has it been since he’s been around?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53383
Status: 
Offline
cookie32723 wrote: srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: if they are going to include Waltman then it only makes sense to include Paul Wight. going by logic. but then the group list of inductee's start getting two big. just like the NWO did. lol ideally it should just be Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bischoff.
I'm assuming The Giant isn't included because they want to make his first induction a big deal.  He will go in solo when he retires, without a doubt.  

Is he even active anymore though?  I know he  hasn’t formally announced his retirement (and does anyone really do that anyway?), but how long has it been since he’s been around?

He wrestled almost exactly a year ago, in November 2018, when he went down with a leg injury on a live SD!  He was medically cleared a few months back and lost a lot of weight again but is still waiting to get called to return to the ring.  He says he has a few matches left in him.  WWE Network ran a special on his recovery a few months ago.  

Last edited on Tue Dec 10th, 2019 06:38 pm by srossi



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems