WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > The Biggest Bust Of The Decade?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
The Biggest Bust Of The Decade?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 4th, 2020 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
Alberto Del Rio, although a big star for awhile, is another bust considering how huge he could’ve been had he not hooked up with Paige. There was a lot more mileage left there, years of bouncing back and forth between main event and mid-card, before the two of them brought out the worst in each other.

Wade Barrett is another name not yet mentioned. His NXT performance was really remarkable and doesn’t get enough credit. Watching the smarks slowly transform from “Fuck you Vince for burying Daniel Bryan” to “Holy shit, this guy I never heard of before really deserved to be the shoot winner” was pretty fun, and he knocked it out of the park in every gimmick and stop-and-start push they gave him. People still mark out for the Bad News shit even though it barely lasted a few months. He should’ve been a World champion 5 times over, now he’s the color commentator for the NWA. 

Last edited on Sat Jan 4th, 2020 11:42 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
BitterOldMan



Joined: Thu Jun 30th, 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 376
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: Superstar wrote: Mason Ryan. Big and strong with the look that Vince jerks off to. Got a mini push and never really did anything at all.I honestly don't remember him.
AKA Welshtista, for his look and accent

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Spread Eagle, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 6359
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Alberto Del Rio, although a big star for awhile, is another bust considering how huge he could’ve been had he not hooked up with Paige.You know, you are right about him flaming out, but I think you have the situation a little bit off.  I don’t think Paige screwed him up, I think it was the other way around.  I think he was doing tons of coke with his brother, and got her involved.  If it wasn’t coke, it was something, because he was totally fucked up in public A LOT.  He went on one version of the Opie and Anthony show and was a complete mess on the air.  Not sure if it was O+A, O+J, O, or Jim and Sam, but I heard it and my wife blurted out how coked up gets sounded, and she wasn’t even paying attention.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 04:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: srossi wrote: Alberto Del Rio, although a big star for awhile, is another bust considering how huge he could’ve been had he not hooked up with Paige.You know, you are right about him flaming out, but I think you have the situation a little bit off.  I don’t think Paige screwed him up, I think it was the other way around.  I think he was doing tons of coke with his brother, and got her involved.  If it wasn’t coke, it was something, because he was totally fucked up in public A LOT.  He went on one version of the Opie and Anthony show and was a complete mess on the air.  Not sure if it was O+A, O+J, O, or Jim and Sam, but I heard it and my wife blurted out how coked up gets sounded, and she wasn’t even paying attention.
I didn’t say she screwed him up, I just said they were toxic together. Everything that happened to both of them came around the time they got together and it went all downhill from there. It was a disastrous match. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 09:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4644
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Wade Barrett is another name not yet mentioned. His NXT performance was really remarkable and doesn’t get enough credit. Watching the smarks slowly transform from “Fuck you Vince for burying Daniel Bryan” to “Holy shit, this guy I never heard of before really deserved to be the shoot winner” was pretty fun, and he knocked it out of the park in every gimmick and stop-and-start push they gave him. People still mark out for the Bad News shit even though it barely lasted a few months. He should’ve been a World champion 5 times over, now he’s the color commentator for the NWA. Victim of appalling booking.  Early promise killed off by placating Poochie Cena and then he should have beaten Poochie Orton in their feud.  Basically killed off all momentum he had.  Twice.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 09:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7981
Status: 
Offline
kargol wrote: srossi wrote: Wade Barrett is another name not yet mentioned. His NXT performance was really remarkable and doesn’t get enough credit. Watching the smarks slowly transform from “Fuck you Vince for burying Daniel Bryan” to “Holy shit, this guy I never heard of before really deserved to be the shoot winner” was pretty fun, and he knocked it out of the park in every gimmick and stop-and-start push they gave him. People still mark out for the Bad News shit even though it barely lasted a few months. He should’ve been a World champion 5 times over, now he’s the color commentator for the NWA. Victim of appalling booking.  Early promise killed off by placating Poochie Cena and then he should have beaten Poochie Orton in their feud.  Basically killed off all momentum he had.  Twice.


I mentioned The Nexus early in the thread. Clearly when NXT started, they hadn't even thought about the Nexus angle, or else Michael Tarver wouldn't have been included, because Husky Harris and Michael McGillicutty were much better performers. I would probably have dropped Otunga out as well, because while he could talk, he couldn't wrestle. They fucked up Barratt's push by fucking up the Nexus' push, then bringing in CM Punk and creating The Corre and just diluting the whole thing, like a shitty version of the worst parts of the nWo. I've read a few books where this is covered, and no one agreed with Vince's call to have the Nexus loose at Summerslam 2010 "to send the crowd home happy". These guys needed to win all their matches to establish themselves, but after this, all their fire was gone. If they had done this right, it could have made NXT more interesting in 2010 as well, but at the height of the Superman Cena era, no heel faction ever stood a chance.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 11:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6790
Status: 
Offline
Norma Stitz 



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 05:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44486
Status: 
Offline
Great Khali

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 3622
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Great KhaliThis has gotta be a rib, right?



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: lobo316 wrote: Great KhaliThis has gotta be a rib, right?
Well he was big, and he was a bust. So if you take the the question literally, maybe...



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 07:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
freebirdsforever2019



Joined: Sat Nov 23rd, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 438
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: For WWE, I'm thinking original Sin Cara, Kharma, and Kenta.

Sin Cara came in with a press conference, vignettes, and the thought that he was the next Rey Mysterio JR. He missed a dive in his debut and was not pushed much afterwards.

Kharma had a big build-up with vignettes, coming off a great run in TNA. I think her only actual WWE match was in the Royal Rumble? She got pregnant, lost the baby, and has never been the same since.

I pictured Kenta renewing his legendary rivalry with Daniel Bryan, not to mention great matches vs. Joe, AJ, and more. I don't think he ever even made it to the main roster?

I'll go with KENTA myself. Always injured and never seemed happy in America. Now he's challenging Naito for the IWGP Title.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 5th, 2020 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2019 wrote: Heenan Fan wrote: For WWE, I'm thinking original Sin Cara, Kharma, and Kenta.

Sin Cara came in with a press conference, vignettes, and the thought that he was the next Rey Mysterio JR. He missed a dive in his debut and was not pushed much afterwards.

Kharma had a big build-up with vignettes, coming off a great run in TNA. I think her only actual WWE match was in the Royal Rumble? She got pregnant, lost the baby, and has never been the same since.

I pictured Kenta renewing his legendary rivalry with Daniel Bryan, not to mention great matches vs. Joe, AJ, and more. I don't think he ever even made it to the main roster?

I'll go with KENTA myself. Always injured and never seemed happy in America. Now he's challenging Naito for the IWGP Title.

KENTA is no one's fault, just one of those things.  It simply didn't work out.  He never even got going in NXT because of the injuries, and that's the place he should've excelled.  Then he came back and seemed more tentative at first, definitely not the same guy.  He started to get on a roll at the end on 205 Live with some better and stiffer matches and you could tell he was almost 100% again, but by that time WWE lost interest in him and there's no way anyone can really get over on that brand.  205 Live matches, as good as some of them were, are barely a step up from house show matches in terms of visibility.  But you can’t blame WWE either because he wasn’t really healthy and firing on all cylinders again until near the end of his contract. It just didn't work and I'm sure he was homesick.

I fear the same thing is happening with KUSHIDA, who also has not been able to do much of anything yet in NXT due to injury and has lost early momentum.  I hope he can regain it, but if not he's another guy destined for 205 Live and then oblivion.

Last edited on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 08:01 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 6th, 2020 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4836
Status: 
Offline
BitterOldMan wrote: Heenan Fan wrote: Superstar wrote: Mason Ryan. Big and strong with the look that Vince jerks off to. Got a mini push and never really did anything at all.I honestly don't remember him.
AKA Welshtista, for his look and accent


I think that Welsh accent and the Batista appearance did a lot of harm to Mason Ryan. It's hard to get fans to take him seriously on his own terms when he looks so much like someone else who had more charisma and more talent. The WWE went out of its way to not have Mason Ryan talk, which shows some foresight actually. When he did talk, his inability to cut a decent interview and a thick accent that was unfamiliar to North American ears by the standards of most British wrestlers did him few favors.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 02:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7113
Status: 
Offline
Drew McIntyre should have been bigger

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 7th, 2020 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
BitterOldMan



Joined: Thu Jun 30th, 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 376
Status: 
Offline
Does it have to be an individual? If not then the WWE creative team.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:34 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > The Biggest Bust Of The Decade? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems