WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Quarantine Wrestling

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Quarantine Wrestling  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2021 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
286th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5073
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
That is a great description of McLane. The sleaze factor emanating from him was off the charts and he was very rude. 


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2021 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
287th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10426
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Time to finish the rest of this card...WWF & The Spectrum Jan 12, 1980
Rene Goulet vs. Johnny Rodz 
Davey O'Hannon vs. Jose Estrada 
Bulldog Brower vs. Mike Masters 
Bob Backlund vs. Bobby Duncum 
Hulk Hogan vs. Tito Santana 
Pat Patterson vs. Captain Lou Albano 
Larry Zbyszko vs. Hussein Arab 
Gorilla Monsoon vs. Swede Hanson 
Ken Patera vs. Ivan Putski

Patterson & Albano was really short with Albano taking a powder after Patterson stole Lou's foreign object and using it on him.

Zybszko & Iron Sheik go to the time limit, but the ref awards the bout to Zbyszko for some reason.  The announcers seem surprised since he wasn't really that dominant.  At the time of the bell Sheik had just suplexed Zbyszko and gotten a close 2 count.  Sheiky gets pissed after the decision, and hits the ref who essentially no sells it & Zbyszko & he brawl again.


Swede vs. Gorilla was short & to the point.  Swede grabs the mic & says "I don't want the ref to get in the way.  These people already know who we are and I don't need any instructions.  Lets get started."  It was pretty good way to run what was essentially a squash match.

Putski vs. Patera is short. Putski displays 2 out of the 3 moves he knows (punch & Polish Hammer).  He skipped the 3 minute headlock, thankfully.  The match is less than a minute, and ends with Putski getting counted out.  I'd have been pissed as a ticket buyer, but watching from home I was happy with the brief cheap finish.


I liked the card, but it was two long matches between jobbers bookended by two 1 minute matches featuring guys the fans paid to see.  The "Special Grudge Match" was about 3 minutes.  The championship match was good, but had a dumb finish.  The Zbyszko vs. Sheik match had an unexplainable finish.  Hogan vs. Tito was the only real match with a finish.

I know that was kind of the WWF formula of the era, but the booking seems pretty lazy, and I'd be disappointed if I paid for that card.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2021 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
288th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7329
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Was Dick Graham doing those shows in 1980? Kal wasn't there yet, right?



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jan 13th, 2021 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
289th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10426
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: Was Dick Graham doing those shows in 1980? Kal wasn't there yet, right?
Dick and Vince do the first half.  They get comments and predictions from Kal before the matches start.  After the Backlund match they sign off with the rest of the card being recorded to be shown on Prism later that night.  Dick & Kal do the second half of the card for the Prism replay.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2021 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
290th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 14109
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Dicks vs London and Kendrick.
The Dicks vs LOD
The Dicks vs Boogieman.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2021 06:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
291st Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8515
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I got a subscription to Impact+. I've been watching the old weekly PPVs. There is a whole lot of crap in the first few weeks, but after the Panda buy-out, these shows were really entertaining. Great matches every week in the X-division and the tag team division. Ron Killings was a great promo, and I don't find Jeff Jarrett as insufferable as some do. Also, there are a ton of random legends who show up out of nowhere and often disappear just as quickly. Nikita Koloff, Vader, Percy Pringle (who does the most disgusting blade job I've ever seen, blood pouring out of his head), Kevin Sullivan, Tony Schiavone, the Rock n Roll Express. Practically someone different every week. With liberal use of the fast forward button, I can heartily recommend.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
292nd Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10426
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm watching an MSG card from Oct 22, 1979 (at least that's what it says).

During the match when Santana & Putski win the belts from The Valiants, Vince says the Valiants have had a falling out with Albano.


What was the story with the split?

Also, was Swede Hanson considered a credible challenger Backlund?  He had Blasse with him, but I only know Swede as a jobber at the end of his career.  He looks 65 years old and out of shape here.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 06:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
293rd Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7329
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Watched Starrcade 1990 over the weekend.  Had always wanted to see this because of the Pat O'Connor tournament.  I think I remember renting the Turner VHS many years ago but recall it was heavily edited.  This was a treat to finally see.

Just some quick thoughts:

It's a 3-hour show with 14 matches and tons of interviews and ceremonies, so they packed this full, to the point that in the last match, they went down to 30 seconds left in the broadcast before the Black Scorpion was unmasked.  With two minutes left, Jim Ross is audibly yelling into the ring from the broadcast table "TWO MINUTES LEFT!!!" to try to let the guys know to hurry up and unmask Flair.  Can you imagine if they went off the air after all that buildup without revealing Flair at that point (although it had become obvious).

The main event match, Sting v. Scorpion, was a snoozer because Flair had to hide his mannerisms and typical move set to not  make it obvious who he was.  I'm curious looking back for people who saw this live if it was obvious it was Flair in the ring.  I can tell immediately, but that's with hindsight,

The Kiel in St. Louis had an amazing look on tv.  The ceiling had these ornate sections with lighting inside of them.  What a cool look.  A shame that got torn down.  Ross said this was the last major show there.

The Luger/Hansen ending was outstanding.  The crowd popped huge for Luger.  Fun match.  Randy Pee Wee Anderson was the star here with his "histrionics" at the end, pushing down Hansen's arm and raising's Luger's, and he took a couple of great bumps.


The tag-tournament was fun.  Saito and Muta made a great team.  I had no idea Saito could still go like this in 1990.  I still don't know who this Russian team was that they brought in.  Were these guys legit Olympians and Greco-Roman world champs? They were solid.  Some of the tournament matches were short, but it all worked.


A sleeper is the tag title match between Doom and Arn/Windham.  One of the absolute best brawls of all time. Windham was awesome in this time period.  At least a 3-way juice.  Great spots at the end by everyone.  Just a sensational match.  The ending was a disappointment though.  This was the match of the night.


Paul E. was really great as a color commentator with Ross.  He was just antagonistic enough to be entertaining, Ross seemed genuinely agitated, but Paul E knew even then how to push a storyline.  


Definitely worth a re-watch if you haven't seen this in awhile.  The tournament doesn't drag at all.  The three hours flew by, but the last four or five matches in particular are outstanding, except for the main event mess.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 06:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
294th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8515
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: Watched Starrcade 1990 over the weekend.  Had always wanted to see this because of the Pat O'Connor tournament.  I think I remember renting the Turner VHS many years ago but recall it was heavily edited.  This was a treat to finally see.

Just some quick thoughts:

It's a 3-hour show with 14 matches and tons of interviews and ceremonies, so they packed this full, to the point that in the last match, they went down to 30 seconds left in the broadcast before the Black Scorpion was unmasked.  With two minutes left, Jim Ross is audibly yelling into the ring from the broadcast table "TWO MINUTES LEFT!!!" to try to let the guys know to hurry up and unmask Flair.  Can you imagine if they went off the air after all that buildup without revealing Flair at that point (although it had become obvious).

The main event match, Sting v. Scorpion, was a snoozer because Flair had to hide his mannerisms and typical move set to not  make it obvious who he was.  I'm curious looking back for people who saw this live if it was obvious it was Flair in the ring.  I can tell immediately, but that's with hindsight,

The Kiel in St. Louis had an amazing look on tv.  The ceiling had these ornate sections with lighting inside of them.  What a cool look.  A shame that got torn down.  Ross said this was the last major show there.

The Luger/Hansen ending was outstanding.  The crowd popped huge for Luger.  Fun match.  Randy Pee Wee Anderson was the star here with his "histrionics" at the end, pushing down Hansen's arm and raising's Luger's, and he took a couple of great bumps.


The tag-tournament was fun.  Saito and Muta made a great team.  I had no idea Saito could still go like this in 1990.  I still don't know who this Russian team was that they brought in.  Were these guys legit Olympians and Greco-Roman world champs? They were solid.  Some of the tournament matches were short, but it all worked.


A sleeper is the tag title match between Doom and Arn/Windham.  One of the absolute best brawls of all time. Windham was awesome in this time period.  At least a 3-way juice.  Great spots at the end by everyone.  Just a sensational match.  The ending was a disappointment though.  This was the match of the night.


Paul E. was really great as a color commentator with Ross.  He was just antagonistic enough to be entertaining, Ross seemed genuinely agitated, but Paul E knew even then how to push a storyline.  


Definitely worth a re-watch if you haven't seen this in awhile.  The tournament doesn't drag at all.  The three hours flew by, but the last four or five matches in particular are outstanding, except for the main event mess.


Trivia time:

The "South African" team was Ray Apollo/Doink the Clown and Ted Petty/Rocco Rock

American Jack Victory was in the "New Zealand" team, although he had a connection, having been the flagbearer for the Sheepherders early in his career.

The Russian team was Victor Zangiev and Salman Hashimikov. Both had started pro wrestling careers with NJPW in 1989. Zangiew was freestyle wrestler who had won the Junior World Championship in 1981, but was not an Olympian. Even though he had only a brief pro career in Japan, he was the inspiration for the Zangief character in Street Fighter. Hashimikov had the more impressive amateur wrestling career, winning 4 world championships between 1979 and 1983, although he also was not an Olympian. In May 1989, he won the IWGP championship from Vader.


With regards to Flair, the one thing he couldn't hide was that he had never been able to take a flat back bump after the plane crash, and had a very distinctive way of landing.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
295th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 14109
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Ox Baker interviews. In one he tells Lou Thesz "I hate you"
Ox Baker vs some jobber
Ox Baker heart punches an executive in Chicago during interview.
Stan Stasiak vs Andre.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 17th, 2021 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
296th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10426
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote:

It's a 3-hour show with 14 matches and tons of interviews and ceremonies, so they packed this full, to the point that in the last match, they went down to 30 seconds left in the broadcast before the Black Scorpion was unmasked.  With two minutes left, Jim Ross is audibly yelling into the ring from the broadcast table "TWO MINUTES LEFT!!!" to try to let the guys know to hurry up and unmask Flair.  Can you imagine if they went off the air after all that buildup without revealing Flair at that point (although it had become obvious).


I have a vague memory of that match, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't The Scorpion do the "back into the corner & beg for mercy thing" that Flair always did?
The girl I was dating said, "It's Ric Flair! He always does that."  She was a casual fan at best, so I'd say it was pretty obvious.
Did you watch this on the Youtubes?



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 18th, 2021 12:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
297th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17006
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I could tell Scorpion was Flair right away because of the profile of his nose and chin in the mask. Kind of like Sgt. Slaughter in a mask is very obvious (at the time of SD II we didn’t know who slaughter was, I know, but you get the drift)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 18th, 2021 02:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
298th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7329
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Blazer wrote:

It's a 3-hour show with 14 matches and tons of interviews and ceremonies, so they packed this full, to the point that in the last match, they went down to 30 seconds left in the broadcast before the Black Scorpion was unmasked.  With two minutes left, Jim Ross is audibly yelling into the ring from the broadcast table "TWO MINUTES LEFT!!!" to try to let the guys know to hurry up and unmask Flair.  Can you imagine if they went off the air after all that buildup without revealing Flair at that point (although it had become obvious).


I have a vague memory of that match, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't The Scorpion do the "back into the corner & beg for mercy thing" that Flair always did?
The girl I was dating said, "It's Ric Flair! He always does that."  She was a casual fan at best, so I'd say it was pretty obvious.
Did you watch this on the Youtubes?

I think Flair starts to the back-off thing on his knees and then stops himself.  You could noticeably tell he was trying to avoid those mannerisms and nuances, and it was kinda stressful to watch.  
The show is on the Network.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 18th, 2021 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
299th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10426
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: I'm watching an MSG card from Oct 22, 1979 (at least that's what it says).

During the match when Santana & Putski win the belts from The Valiants, Vince says the Valiants have had a falling out with Albano.


What was the story with the split?

Also, was Swede Hanson considered a credible challenger Backlund?  He had Blasse with him, but I only know Swede as a jobber at the end of his career.  He looks 65 years old and out of shape here.


Anyone?  Anyone?

Andy Kauffman is interviewed by Vince about his wrestling matches vs. women,

A nice brawl between Bruno & Valentine & a Patterson vs. DiBiase match are also on the crowd.

Great part follows at the end of the card where Killer Kal is called in by Vince to highlight that he did an article for the porn mag Gallery of sexiest album covers of all-time.
Classic!



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2021 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
300th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17006
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I’ve always assumed Swede was parachuted in for the title match because someone they were gonna bring into that spot didn’t work out. I’ve heard that Ox Baker and or Roddy Piper were pegged for Backlund challengers and then rejected in that vein, no idea if either one of them would have been that guy here.

Swede as a one off makes little sense otherwise, regardless of who was supposed to be in that spot.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 02:14 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Quarantine Wrestling Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems