WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Which Sport Makes It Back First?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
Poll
Which Sport Makes It Back First?
   
   
   
   
View Results
 
Vote
AuthorPost
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43109
Status: 
Offline
Picking Football means Baseball, Basketball and Hockey all bit the dust

chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 2182
Status: 
Offline
I am going to say Baseball, the players can be further apart at times, so less risk. Just a guess though. I kinda want me some hockey action pronto though!! Can only watch so many Canadiens games on youtube to tide me over.

freebirdsforever2019



Joined: Sat Nov 23rd, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 351
Status: 
Offline
NHL.

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4612
Status: 
Offline
Football's already back. Am watching the Berlin derby. Hertha v Union.

Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: Corona Virus, USA
Posts: 3351
Status: 
Offline
Baseball. For the same reasons chrob said. Social distancing seems easier to do in baseball.


Last edited on Fri May 22nd, 2020 08:20 pm by Heenan Fan

BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3916
Status: 
Offline
I don't see the NBA or NHL coming back this season. Baseball's already announced they're trying to come back around July 4th. I think the NFL will play a full season on schedule, but in empty/scaled down stadiums and possibly a truncated or cancelled pre-season.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Unless the union are dicks, and all unions are dicks, MLB should be back in a few weeks.

nyhack56

 

Joined: Wed May 15th, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 129
Status: 
Offline
Doesn't the NHL already have a deal just about in place to come back? 24 team playoff?

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16318
Status: 
Online
nyhack56 wrote: Doesn't the NHL already have a deal just about in place to come back? 24 team playoff?Yes but it's still quite up in the air when such a format could actually be played.

carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12105
Status: 
Offline
I will go with Nascar.



Welp...I guess I won.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Jon Heyman says MLB is close. Announcement soon. It seemed dead 2 days ago but apparently they got it done.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43109
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Jon Heyman says MLB is close. Announcement soon. It seemed dead 2 days ago but apparently they got it done.


Awesome.

Not so fast.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: srossi wrote: Jon Heyman says MLB is close. Announcement soon. It seemed dead 2 days ago but apparently they got it done.


Awesome.

Not so fast.

According to Ken Rosenthal:

Source: MLB proposal includes: •60 games in 70 days •Season starting July 19th/20th •Full Prorated Salary •Expanded Playoffs in 2020 and 2021 •Waiving of any potential grievance

Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 4431
Status: 
Offline
Are they going to travel or have it all in a quarantine zone? What happens when someone tests positive?

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2340
Status: 
Online
Some players and staff of The Phillies have tested positive for the virus.

Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2340
Status: 
Online
MLB training centres shut down. Austin Mathews of the Toronto Maple Leaf's and some other nhl players have the virus. Maybe they should just pack it in with sports for the next 6 months at least.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Apparently a done deal that MLB has reached an agreement. Spring training starts July 1, season starts July 23, DH in the NL.

Last edited on Wed Jun 24th, 2020 02:18 am by srossi

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Apparently a done deal that MLB has reached an agreement. Spring training starts July 1, season starts July 23, DH in the NL.

Did they agree on a 60 game season. That's pretty sad. They should play into October and have at least 80 games. 


If one division sucks you might have a division winner be under .500.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: Apparently a done deal that MLB has reached an agreement. Spring training starts July 1, season starts July 23, DH in the NL.

Did they agree on a 60 game season. That's pretty sad. They should play into October and have at least 80 games. 


If one division sucks you might have a division winner be under .500.

Yes, 60 games. 

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7892
Status: 
Offline
They really fucked up bringing back tennis. Might even jeopardise the no fans US Open.

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6601
Status: 
Offline
This season is going to be unique. It will never be able to be compared to the other 162 or 154 game seasons or the strike shortened seasons of '81, '94, (part of '95), etc. So, people should keep that in mind. No matter how badly we want it, this one has to be considered in a different light.

That said, I'm not sold it's going to happen with the virus still going on. What happens if two guys test positive the day before opening day or a week in? Whole team needs to quarantine? This could easily go off the rails quickly if games and series need to be postponed.

Last edited on Thu Jun 25th, 2020 12:14 am by Blazer

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: This season is going to be unique. It will never be able to be compared to the other 162 or 154 game seasons or the strike shortened seasons of '81, '94, (part of '95), etc. So, people should keep that in mind. No matter how badly we want it, this one has to be considered in a different light.

That said, I'm not sold it's going to happen with the virus still going on. What happens if two guys test positive the day before opening day or a week in? Whole team needs to quarantine? This could easily go off the rails quickly if games and series need to be postponed.

There will be a special D.L. this year for Coronavirus cases with different rules than the usual D.L.  We’ll see how that goes. I think a few years back they added a special concussion D.L. too. 

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6601
Status: 
Offline
Didn't see that. I saw the extra innings rules and the universal DH. We'll see.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52451
Status: 
Offline
Jesus Christ, they’re going to play extra inning games with a runner starting on 2nd. They’re making a joke of the game. What does this have to do with Covid?

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Jesus Christ, they’re going to play extra inning games with a runner starting on 2nd. They’re making a joke of the game. What does this have to do with Covid?

They do that in the American Association for my hometown Winnipeg Goldeyes. Just stupid but a further example of how absolutely unwatchable most sports have become.

If I'm not mistaken when  they have to play doubleheaders it's 2 7 inning games.


Even though it's a near 2 hour drive in we used to have season tickets because the girlfriend has a couple nephews who couldn't really afford to go so sometimes we'd go with them or friends or gave tickets to friends when we weren't going to go.


Didn't renew a couple seasons ago because we found we weren't going much any more as the games became boring.

I'm sure the purists aren't going to like it, the fault lies with fans and media who need instant gratification and their attention span is incredibly short.
I've watched on YouTube during this plandemic some baseball, hockey and football from the 70's and so wish the games were still played the way they were then.

I likely wasn't going to watch much to begin with but now I'll likely not watch at all. I'll check standings and stats for shits and giggles but that is about it.

BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3916
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: Jesus Christ, they’re going to play extra inning games with a runner starting on 2nd. They’re making a joke of the game. What does this have to do with Covid?

They do that in the American Association for my hometown Winnipeg Goldeyes. Just stupid but a further example of how absolutely unwatchable most sports have become.

If I'm not mistaken when  they have to play doubleheaders it's 2 7 inning games.


Even though it's a near 2 hour drive in we used to have season tickets because the girlfriend has a couple nephews who couldn't really afford to go so sometimes we'd go with them or friends or gave tickets to friends when we weren't going to go.


Didn't renew a couple seasons ago because we found we weren't going much any more as the games became boring.

I'm sure the purists aren't going to like it, the fault lies with fans and media who need instant gratification and their attention span is incredibly short.
I've watched on YouTube during this plandemic some baseball, hockey and football from the 70's and so wish the games were still played the way they were then.

I likely wasn't going to watch much to begin with but now I'll likely not watch at all. I'll check standings and stats for shits and giggles but that is about it.

I think they do the runner on second deal in all levels of the minors/independent ball. They do it in the Pacific Coast League, I saw it in the game I went to in Reno last year. The thinking is, it cuts down on games going deep into extra innings.

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16318
Status: 
Online
BuddyPSHayes wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: Jesus Christ, they’re going to play extra inning games with a runner starting on 2nd. They’re making a joke of the game. What does this have to do with Covid?

They do that in the American Association for my hometown Winnipeg Goldeyes. Just stupid but a further example of how absolutely unwatchable most sports have become.

If I'm not mistaken when  they have to play doubleheaders it's 2 7 inning games.


Even though it's a near 2 hour drive in we used to have season tickets because the girlfriend has a couple nephews who couldn't really afford to go so sometimes we'd go with them or friends or gave tickets to friends when we weren't going to go.


Didn't renew a couple seasons ago because we found we weren't going much any more as the games became boring.

I'm sure the purists aren't going to like it, the fault lies with fans and media who need instant gratification and their attention span is incredibly short.
I've watched on YouTube during this plandemic some baseball, hockey and football from the 70's and so wish the games were still played the way they were then.

I likely wasn't going to watch much to begin with but now I'll likely not watch at all. I'll check standings and stats for shits and giggles but that is about it.

I think they do the runner on second deal in all levels of the minors/independent ball. They do it in the Pacific Coast League, I saw it in the game I went to in Reno last year. The thinking is, it cuts down on games going deep into extra innings.I always found those really deep extra innings games kind of cool.
Maybe this is just a one year thing to speed up the games? Games sound like they'll be packed in tighter than a normal season even with such a short sprint of games, so ending the games quicker makes sense...for one year.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: BuddyPSHayes wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: srossi wrote: Jesus Christ, they’re going to play extra inning games with a runner starting on 2nd. They’re making a joke of the game. What does this have to do with Covid?

They do that in the American Association for my hometown Winnipeg Goldeyes. Just stupid but a further example of how absolutely unwatchable most sports have become.

If I'm not mistaken when  they have to play doubleheaders it's 2 7 inning games.


Even though it's a near 2 hour drive in we used to have season tickets because the girlfriend has a couple nephews who couldn't really afford to go so sometimes we'd go with them or friends or gave tickets to friends when we weren't going to go.


Didn't renew a couple seasons ago because we found we weren't going much any more as the games became boring.

I'm sure the purists aren't going to like it, the fault lies with fans and media who need instant gratification and their attention span is incredibly short.
I've watched on YouTube during this plandemic some baseball, hockey and football from the 70's and so wish the games were still played the way they were then.

I likely wasn't going to watch much to begin with but now I'll likely not watch at all. I'll check standings and stats for shits and giggles but that is about it.

I think they do the runner on second deal in all levels of the minors/independent ball. They do it in the Pacific Coast League, I saw it in the game I went to in Reno last year. The thinking is, it cuts down on games going deep into extra innings.I always found those really deep extra innings games kind of cool.
Maybe this is just a one year thing to speed up the games? Games sound like they'll be packed in tighter than a normal season even with such a short sprint of games, so ending the games quicker makes sense...for one year.

Where does it stop though? The powers that be will like this new rule and then they'll decide its still not fast enough and next it will be the team in the field has to wear their gloves on the wrong hand. Outfielders have to face the outfield walls until they hear the crack of the bat at which point they can turn but must do so with a perfect pirouette.


Maybe the hitters can start their at bats with a full count. Or hit one handed.
The overtime rules in football are dumb as donkey shit.
The NHL isn't quite as bad but is still the drizzling shits.
Those near brain dead idiots who dribble balls I guess have the most normal OT I guess but how long before they are deciding games with a game of HORSE?

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16318
Status: 
Online
Oh I don't disagree with most of what you've just said, I am hoping that baseball being the most "traditionalist" of the major sports, might be able to go back when a normal season happens next.
for how long, who knows? eventually the short attention spans of people will win out. But I think Baseball will hold out for a bit longer than the rest.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
The American Association of Independent Baseball, the league I referenced above actually started their season on Friday with little fanfare since I never heard about it until today.Of course I didn't look in Saturday's paper at all. Not MLB and I won't be paying much attention anyways.

We had to go into the city this morning as the gf had an appointment at HSC.  Since only the person with the appointment can go through the checkpoint I did a bit of roaming around. Crossed the street to the Shoppers Drug Mart and noticed NFL mags on the racks.


Picked up the Lindy's Pro Football as they do a good job of covering the draft.Then I was thinking of whether I even remember seeing baseball mags out at all. Pretty sure they would have been out in February predating the plandemic. 

Does anyone remember seeing baseball mags out at all? I checked when we got back and it looks like I never bought one, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

While there is a wealth of info online I still like the idea of a hard copy magazine.

As an aside this area of the country always gets the Lindy's with a Seattle Seahawk on the cover. 

brodiescomics



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3352
Status: 
Offline
I was accidentally watching the NASCAR race this weekend and saw an NFL ad that said Chiefs vs. Texans, September 10th. (At least that is what I remember seeing.)

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13644
Status: 
Offline
brodiescomics wrote: I was accidentally watching the NASCAR race this weekend and saw an NFL ad that said Chiefs vs. Texans, September 10th. (At least that is what I remember seeing.)CBS showed that game yesterday.

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6601
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote:
Does anyone remember seeing baseball mags out at all? I checked when we got back and it looks like I never bought one, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

While there is a wealth of info online I still like the idea of a hard copy magazine.


Yes.  Baseball mags were definitely out.  I remember seeing several versions on the newstand for both Fantasy Baseball and regular preview mags.  But they come out super early - like the 3rd week in January, and then they sit on the shelf until about the 2nd week in March.  I'm old school and still pick up a copy of Lindy's or Athlon or SI, whatever looks good and has a cool cover shot.   I know 99% of the info is online, and it's kind of a waste of money and space, but it takes me back to being a kid and buying the preview mags at the drug store and keeping it as a reference all year.



Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote:
Does anyone remember seeing baseball mags out at all? I checked when we got back and it looks like I never bought one, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

While there is a wealth of info online I still like the idea of a hard copy magazine.


Yes.  Baseball mags were definitely out.  I remember seeing several versions on the newstand for both Fantasy Baseball and regular preview mags.  But they come out super early - like the 3rd week in January, and then they sit on the shelf until about the 2nd week in March.  I'm old school and still pick up a copy of Lindy's or Athlon or SI, whatever looks good and has a cool cover shot.   I know 99% of the info is online, and it's kind of a waste of money and space, but it takes me back to being a kid and buying the preview mags at the drug store and keeping it as a reference all year.




I actually found the baseball mags I'd bought. Lindy's of course and The Fantasy Baseball Guide. They are in virtually mint condition so I didn't look at them much before filing them away.  Normally the mags for whatever sport is in season are close at hand in the den where I  typically watch sports and I am constantly rifling through them 

What I did notice about Lindy's Football Guide is last year I paid $9.99 Canadian and this year's is $12.99, quite a jump.

Tomorrow I may take a look at all my old Street & Smith magazines. I always really liked the covers on the baseball ones. 



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems