WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Verne Gagne vs. Adrian Adonis

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Verne Gagne vs. Adrian Adonis  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
Billed as Verne's 2nd retirement match supposedly.


Amphitheater in Chicago 11/21/81 

Did this match in fact take place? Anywhere where the match or the card is discussed?.It is listed in Claw's AWA thread with Gagne winning of couse. 

Anybody on this board there?

Someone who "knows" alot about the AWA seems to doubt it's validity.

Also was Verne in a 6 man tag with Crusher and Mad Dog in Utah 84 against the Sheiks. 



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 816
Status: 
Offline
The match between Gagne and Adonis happened. I was there with a few of my friends.
It got a big buildup on the TV shows leading up to this card.
I remember the match where the Kelly Twins beat Bruiser & Snyder on the same card.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: The match between Gagne and Adonis happened. I was there with a few of my friends.
It got a big buildup on the TV shows leading up to this card.
I remember the match where the Kelly Twins beat Bruiser & Snyder on the same card.

Thanks. I won't mention any names but somehow George Schire seems to doubt the match ever happened. He doesn't have it on his mater list.

I honestly can't remember AWA tv and being in Winnipeg it might not have been mentioned or I've completely forgotten it.
Is there a clipping out there in someone's collection or anything video wise that might have survived.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7978
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: Also was Verne in a 6 man tag with Crusher and Mad Dog in Utah 84 against the Sheiks. 

Greg definitely was...

Attachment: utah.jpg (Downloaded 84 times)



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7978
Status: 
Offline
Results

Attachment: results.jpg (Downloaded 85 times)



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: Results

Thanks Kriss. Do you feel then that any listing that has Verne is just incorrect and was meant to say Greg.

In Claw's archives and WrestleData it is Verne that is listed.

And lol to Sabisco.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4598
Status: 
Offline
Verne worked a farewell series of matches after Wrestlerock 86 if you are trying to pinpoint his actual last match.

I think it was after June 22nd of 86 that he hung up the tights. In Green Bay, he worked a six-man tag with Ray Stevens and Greg against the Sheik, Nord and Boris IIRC.

As Greg was in the ring, Verne was leaning back on the apron using the ropes to balance himself and pull back toward the ring, only at some point he forgot to grab the rope and crashed to the floor. Chants of SENILE followed and I don't think he "gave a lot of fun to one more turn" at this point.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16391
Status: 
Online
He also worked a 6-man bout with Greg and Snuka, I think in Denver...possibly the same night as Hansen's walk out. Video exists from World Pro Wrestling out of Japan. That may have been the last bout Verne wrestled in, if it was the Denver show it was June 29th.The Oakland battle by the Bay card from June 28th has a lot of promos for Denver matches that the Japanese taped from the Verne card that seemed to be the same. While that doesn't preclude the bouts being the same matchups around the horn, it's always been enough for me to believe that the Denver show was Verne's last hurrah.

Last edited on Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:57 pm by khawk

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16391
Status: 
Online
Oh also...here's what our buddy George had to say on his FB page about Clawmaster's archives when asked about the above Adonis vs. Gagne bout...

"Jim Zordani was a friend of mine and much respected. However, with no disrespect to him, I can tell you that his results records did have flaws in them from time to time. Reason being Jim relied on others for his information and most often did not personally research results himself. Myself and a few others spent hours upon hours actually going to libraries and old newspapers across the country compiling results. And also in my case I've either got the programs and/or clippings from cards to assist in my research. Finally, in many cases I also attended the actual cards."

Every once in a while George reminds us what an uptight sanctimonious cunt he can be, at the thought of someone else with an interest in the AWA being a source or knowing something he doesn't. Nice of him to call down Jim's results in that bit, especially since from what I recall Jim said the same things about how George got a lot of his records (and would not share his own with anyone).

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7978
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: Kriss wrote: Results

Thanks Kriss. Do you feel then that any listing that has Verne is just incorrect and was meant to say Greg.

In Claw's archives and WrestleData it is Verne that is listed.

And lol to Sabisco.


From a cursory check of AWA cards in Salt Lake City in the 80s, Verne's name was all over them, but I don't think he ever stepped in the ring. He's not even listed as being in the big battle royals with Andre in 1982. He gets a "produced by" credit in the early ads.

A lot of stuff that was put onto WrestlingData was taken straight from claw's posts or Cawthon's site. The territory stuff that's being added now is mostly original research, so these mistakes get corrected, but it's a very long task. I might take a look at these AWA in SLC this weekend.

Last edited on Thu Jun 4th, 2020 08:07 pm by Kriss



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7978
Status: 
Offline
The Chicago Tribine is a horrible source for wrestling results. It was patchy even in the 50s when pretty much every wrestling show in North America was covered in reasonable detail by a local newspaper. By 1981, there weren't even adverts, let alone articles. Had the Observer started by November 81?



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: Oh also...here's what our buddy George had to say on his FB page about Clawmaster's archives when asked about the above Adonis vs. Gagne bout...

"Jim Zordani was a friend of mine and much respected. However, with no disrespect to him, I can tell you that his results records did have flaws in them from time to time. Reason being Jim relied on others for his information and most often did not personally research results himself. Myself and a few others spent hours upon hours actually going to libraries and old newspapers across the country compiling results. And also in my case I've either got the programs and/or clippings from cards to assist in my research. Finally, in many cases I also attended the actual cards."

Every once in a while George reminds us what an uptight sanctimonious cunt he can be, at the thought of someone else with an interest in the AWA being a source or knowing something he doesn't. Nice of him to call down Jim's results in that bit, especially since from what I recall Jim said the same things about how George got a lot of his records (and would not share his own with anyone).

LoL.  Word for word his response to me. He is a sanctimonious prick really. Since we have con firmation here of the Adonis match ( I never doubted it and had it been in Winnipeg I would have remembered better I'm sure) how is it that the "Authority" would not have this result in his exhaustive results of the AWA. Its not a random card held in some hole in the wall town with a plpulation of 16, all interbred.
I'm willing to acknowledge that Shire knows more than most about the AWA but why he feels the need to sound like he's calling people stupid in his responses is beyond me. He and the Crimson Moron might be related.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: Kriss wrote: Results

Thanks Kriss. Do you feel then that any listing that has Verne is just incorrect and was meant to say Greg.

In Claw's archives and WrestleData it is Verne that is listed.

And lol to Sabisco.


From a cursory check of AWA cards in Salt Lake City in the 80s, Verne's name was all over them, but I don't think he ever stepped in the ring. He's not even listed as being in the big battle royals with Andre in 1982. He gets a "produced by" credit in the early ads.

A lot of stuff that was put onto WrestlingData was taken straight from claw's posts or Cawthon's site. The territory stuff that's being added now is mostly original research, so these mistakes get corrected, but it's a very long task. I might take a look at these AWA in SLC this weekend.

Yeah no kidding it would be a monumental task. Not denigrating the site at all either. Pretty much not a day goes by I'm not on it and if I see something I try and locate a couple other sources before I rely to someone so I don't come off sounding like George. 😂😂😂
Too bad Superstar Billy Graham wasn't on any of the cards. Ron would have a clipping, or search till he found one.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16391
Status: 
Online
Angelic Assassin wrote: khawk wrote: Oh also...here's what our buddy George had to say on his FB page about Clawmaster's archives when asked about the above Adonis vs. Gagne bout...

"Jim Zordani was a friend of mine and much respected. However, with no disrespect to him, I can tell you that his results records did have flaws in them from time to time. Reason being Jim relied on others for his information and most often did not personally research results himself. Myself and a few others spent hours upon hours actually going to libraries and old newspapers across the country compiling results. And also in my case I've either got the programs and/or clippings from cards to assist in my research. Finally, in many cases I also attended the actual cards."

Every once in a while George reminds us what an uptight sanctimonious cunt he can be, at the thought of someone else with an interest in the AWA being a source or knowing something he doesn't. Nice of him to call down Jim's results in that bit, especially since from what I recall Jim said the same things about how George got a lot of his records (and would not share his own with anyone).

LoL.  Word for word his response to me. He is a sanctimonious prick really. Since we have con firmation here of the Adonis match ( I never doubted it and had it been in Winnipeg I would have remembered better I'm sure) how is it that the "Authority" would not have this result in his exhaustive results of the AWA. Its not a random card held in some hole in the wall town with a plpulation of 16, all interbred.
I'm willing to acknowledge that Shire knows more than most about the AWA but why he feels the need to sound like he's calling people stupid in his responses is beyond me. He and the Crimson Moron might be related.Lol yeah I C and P'ed his reply from that FB group...I know who you are there now! lol

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jun 5th, 2020 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6786
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: khawk wrote: Oh also...here's what our buddy George had to say on his FB page about Clawmaster's archives when asked about the above Adonis vs. Gagne bout...

"Jim Zordani was a friend of mine and much respected. However, with no disrespect to him, I can tell you that his results records did have flaws in them from time to time. Reason being Jim relied on others for his information and most often did not personally research results himself. Myself and a few others spent hours upon hours actually going to libraries and old newspapers across the country compiling results. And also in my case I've either got the programs and/or clippings from cards to assist in my research. Finally, in many cases I also attended the actual cards."

Every once in a while George reminds us what an uptight sanctimonious cunt he can be, at the thought of someone else with an interest in the AWA being a source or knowing something he doesn't. Nice of him to call down Jim's results in that bit, especially since from what I recall Jim said the same things about how George got a lot of his records (and would not share his own with anyone).

LoL.  Word for word his response to me. He is a sanctimonious prick really. Since we have con firmation here of the Adonis match ( I never doubted it and had it been in Winnipeg I would have remembered better I'm sure) how is it that the "Authority" would not have this result in his exhaustive results of the AWA. Its not a random card held in some hole in the wall town with a plpulation of 16, all interbred.
I'm willing to acknowledge that Shire knows more than most about the AWA but why he feels the need to sound like he's calling people stupid in his responses is beyond me. He and the Crimson Moron might be related.Lol yeah I C and P'ed his reply from that FB group...I know who you are there now! lol



That's scary. 😂😂😂



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:06 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Verne Gagne vs. Adrian Adonis Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems