WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > What Is The Best Stipulation Match?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
What Is The Best Stipulation Match?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18253
Status: 
Offline
Steel cage.

Hell in a Cell (before it just became a Gimmick PPV every year.

War Games (before it became a Yearly thing on The Fall brawl PPV.

2 out 3 falls match.

Streetfight where the wrestlers fight in street clothes.



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6713
Status: 
Offline
My two favorites really have been phased out within the context of 2020 wrestling:

Loser Leaves Town

Hair vs. Hair.

Loser leaves town is somewhat moot now that the territories are gone, and hair vs. hair just doesn't have that importance as it did in the 80s now that it is common to have short hair or shaved heads.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 4538
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: My two favorites really have been phased out within the context of 2020 wrestling:

Loser Leaves Town

Hair vs. Hair.

Loser leaves town is somewhat moot now that the territories are gone, and hair vs. hair just doesn't have that importance as it did in the 80s now that it is common to have short hair or shaved heads.


Loser leaves town is a good one, totally forgot about that stip.

Hair vs Hair is a funny one, it makes sense and seems important but I laugh when I hear that Ricky Morton absolutely would never let his head be shaved. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 704
Status: 
Offline
"No DQ", if done right, can be fun. In the kayfabe era, the "No DQ" was usually meant to prevent the heel from getting intentionally disqualified, but in the 90's it began to evolve into "anything goes". Those can be fun, if they don't turn into a garbage brawl.

I also like the ol' "elimination tag match", aka : "SUrvivor series style".



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
ukfan01

 

Joined: Tue Jul 5th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 91
Status: 
Offline
Falls count anywhere. Depending on the building(s) involved, and so long as the cameras can keep up, anything can happen.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7681
Status: 
Offline
Add me to the Texas Death Match team. I've wondered why Vince never did one. Especially if they were in, ummm...Texas. It would have been taylor made for Cold Stone, Undertaker, the JBL & Eddie feud. They could have done it any way they wanted to. The WWWF way of one fall to a finish but no rules, or the NWA way of sixty seven falls until one guy can't continue.


I've also always been fascinated with Chain Matches also. I believe Bruno had one with Koloff in Boston. Not sure if it was done again in the WW(W)F(E). Strap matches were certainly in vogue but to me that's like kissing your sister. No passion....at least most of the time.....


Hell in the Cell was a fantastic concept but as mentioned it jumped the shark at least ten years ago if not more.


Also a huge fan of the Royal Rumble during the 90's and Aughts. Now, not so much.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 3641
Status: 
Offline
Vince has done Texas Death matches before. Hulk vs. Harley had basically the exact same match at MSG and Boston Garden in 1987.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7681
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: Vince has done Texas Death matches before. Hulk vs. Harley had basically the exact same match at MSG and Boston Garden in 1987.Were they one fall matches or did they go a ton of falls before someone was too exhausted to continue?



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 3641
Status: 
Offline
Pretty sure they were one fall matches. You can watch them back to back on the WWF's Even More Unusual Matches CHV (1987).



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 6815
Status: 
Offline
Bra and Panties matches. Someone had to say it.


Actually just your old fashioned cage match. Whether someone from the outside gets into it or not.


Old style Battle Royales with every one in the ring at the same time. Royal Rumbles was an interesting concept but fairly often during them it's a singles match wearing a disguise. 



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
freebirdsforever2019



Joined: Sat Nov 23rd, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 449
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: Add me to the Texas Death Match team. I've wondered why Vince never did one. Especially if they were in, ummm...Texas. It would have been taylor made for Cold Stone, Undertaker, the JBL & Eddie feud. They could have done it any way they wanted to. The WWWF way of one fall to a finish but no rules, or the NWA way of sixty seven falls until one guy can't continue.


I've also always been fascinated with Chain Matches also. I believe Bruno had one with Koloff in Boston. Not sure if it was done again in the WW(W)F(E). Strap matches were certainly in vogue but to me that's like kissing your sister. No passion....at least most of the time.....


Hell in the Cell was a fantastic concept but as mentioned it jumped the shark at least ten years ago if not more.


Also a huge fan of the Royal Rumble during the 90's and Aughts. Now, not so much.

I LOVED the Texas Death Matches that went 35 falls. Made it seem more realistic as you are "fighting to the death" and suffer so much damage that you can't possibly get to your feet to continue.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 7th, 2020 07:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8001
Status: 
Offline
The first ever eye for an eye match will be the greatest stipulation match ever!

Seriously... WTF?



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jul 7th, 2020 07:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 3641
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: The first ever eye for an eye match will be the greatest stipulation match ever!

Seriously... WTF?
The Haku vs. Jimmy Jack Funk Invitational.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2020 11:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10184
Status: 
Online
I hate drag your opponent around the ring and touch the turnbuckles types of chain matches & strap matches.


There's no logic in what makes the touches consecutive so win is always hazy.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2020 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6713
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: I hate drag your opponent around the ring and touch the turnbuckles types of chain matches & strap matches.


There's no logic in what makes the touches consecutive so win is always hazy.

What was the old explanation that they used....  This may have been from Gorilla.  Momentum can't be broken.  If the momentum is broken, then they have to start over.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:25 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > What Is The Best Stipulation Match? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems