WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
R.I.P. Regis  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2020 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52692
Status: 
Offline
He’s probably one of the guys who deserves his own thread. Always a very likable guy and of course a good friend of wrestling. 

Legendary talk show host Regis Philbin dead one month shy of his 89th birthday. 

https://people.com/tv/regis-philbin-dead/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=peoplemag%20&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=link_breakingnews

Last edited on Sat Jul 25th, 2020 07:19 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2020 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7675
Status: 
Offline
A true son of the Bronx. Definitely a good friend of wrestling. From his start with Blassie in the sixties in San Diego to his being an important cog for Vince to spread his product after the expansion. He never belittled any wrestler who came on his show and always spoke respectively of them when they weren't there. He gave a truly heartfelt little eulogy to Blassie when he passed away on Live! with Regis and Kelly. I feel it was Regis himself who made Who Wants to be a Millionaire such a monster hit. He lived a good life.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 25th, 2020 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Spread Eagle, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 6357
Status: 
Online
He was one of those guys that you didn’t hear a bad word uttered. I think he realized early on that he was fortunate to be in the position he was in - no matter what job he was working. And he always worked hard. I knew he was old but 89 is unbelievable. I really hope his last words were “Fuck Michael Strahan”. RIP Reege..



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 26th, 2020 04:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52692
Status: 
Offline
It's mind-boggling that WWE could write about Regis and not mention his relationship with Blassie, who was a huge part of WWE storylines up until the Invasion angle in 2001.  As the years go by, WWE's grasp on their own history shrinks to nothing more than a few years in the mid-'80s and the Attitude Era.  Unbelievable.

WWE has issued the following statement:

WWE is saddened to learn that legendary entertainment figure Regis Philbin has passed away at age 88.

WWE Superstars were frequent guests on Philbin's morning show, "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee," including Ultimate Warrior, "Ravishing" Rick Rude, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, John Cena and many more. Philbin even battled the massive Yokozuna in an epic tug-of-war on an episode.

The TV icon was also a memorable presence at WrestleMania VII where he conducted backstage interviews and provided commentary for the main event showdown between WWE Champion Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan. Regis also appeared on the historic Raw 1000, sending a classy congratulatory message to WWE.

WWE extends its condolences to Philbin's family, friends and fans.

Last edited on Sun Jul 26th, 2020 04:32 am by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 26th, 2020 08:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Heenan Fan
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 3610
Status: 
Offline
RIP Regis.

I'm looking forward to srossi's RIP post to you on the DP thread 10 months from now.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 26th, 2020 12:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Infamous
必 勝


Joined: Mon Oct 25th, 2010
Location: Slums Of Shaolin
Posts: 2549
Status: 
Offline
Regis Philbin had some Albanian roots/heritage in him (so do I) & was always spoken of & looked upon as positive success story for as long as I can remember


R.I.P.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 26th, 2020 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6696
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: It's mind-boggling that WWE could write about Regis and not mention his relationship with Blassie, who was a huge part of WWE storylines up until the Invasion angle in 2001.  As the years go by, WWE's grasp on their own history shrinks to nothing more than a few years in the mid-'80s and the ...

I’m sure they had some 22 year old intern write that, with research consisting of searching through YouTube links.  Yeah, it’s unbelievable, but it’s not.  It’s sad.  The one difference between WWE and other sports (real sports) is that WWE rarely ever has recognized history.  Watch a baseball game and they’ll talk about Reggie Jackson or Bob Gibson or Whitey Ford.  This would be the equivalent of mentioning Backlund, Buddy Rogers, or Eduardo Carpentier.  Just not going to happen.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 26th, 2020 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52692
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: srossi wrote: It's mind-boggling that WWE could write about Regis and not mention his relationship with Blassie, who was a huge part of WWE storylines up until the Invasion angle in 2001.  As the years go by, WWE's grasp on their own history shrinks to nothing more than a few years in the mid-'80s and the ...

I’m sure they had some 22 year old intern write that, with research consisting of searching through YouTube links.  Yeah, it’s unbelievable, but it’s not.  It’s sad.  The one difference between WWE and other sports (real sports) is that WWE rarely ever has recognized history.  Watch a baseball game and they’ll talk about Reggie Jackson or Bob Gibson or Whitey Ford.  This would be the equivalent of mentioning Backlund, Buddy Rogers, or Eduardo Carpentier.  Just not going to happen.

I have no doubt all that is true and it really is sad. Back when Finkel was alive it would’ve been nice if they just texted him these things to review before posting and you could add an oversight like this in 5 seconds. But they didn’t. And now he’s dead and they’re clearly not checking with anyone else who has the slightest degree of subject matter knowledge. I’d take the job for $100 a piece just for fun and you’d see a noticeable difference overnight. All of text back here is “Google Regis and Blassie, dumbass” and the kid would figure it out and add a sentence or two. But you don’t know what you don’t know so these kids don’t even know how to research this stuff properly. 

Last edited on Sun Jul 26th, 2020 07:23 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1556
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote:  He gave a truly heartfelt little eulogy to Blassie when he passed away on Live! with Regis and Kelly. 
Christ, Blassie died right on the show!!?



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 27th, 2020 10:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
BitterOldMan



Joined: Thu Jun 30th, 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 375
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: WongLee wrote:  He gave a truly heartfelt little eulogy to Blassie when he passed away on Live! with Regis and Kelly. 
Christ, Blassie died right on the show!!?

Blassie's body wasn't even a bit cold when Regis started his tribute.Gelman was totally  verklempt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jul 28th, 2020 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
wittman2

 

Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 753
Status: 
Offline
The WWE had a really nice tribute to him on RAW last night.



____________________
CM Punk wrote on Twitter - "my twitter account was hacked", is the new: "I'm a sloppy drunk douche".
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 09:34 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > R.I.P. Regis Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems