WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
RIP Butch Reed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 7989
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: khawk wrote: 85 AWA was still doing good business so I imagine the payoffs were still ok.
Oh yeah, Spring '85 AWA was still doing ok.  
Reed was in and out though.  Without looking it up, it felt like maybe a month or two.



April, May and June of 1985, with some Mid South appearances sprinkled in and in Quebec for a few shows.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2868
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
AWA was still fine through the end of 1985 but when they Lost Rick Martel, The Road Warriors, The Freebirds, Jimmy Garvin all around the same time it cut out a good chunk of top level talent. And it was never the same. The popular opinion is that the AWA was done when Hogan, Okerland, Ventura, Patera left but that's not true.

Last edited on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:19 am by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17408
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: khawk wrote: 85 AWA was still doing good business so I imagine the payoffs were still ok.
Oh yeah, Spring '85 AWA was still doing ok.  
Reed was in and out though.  Without looking it up, it felt like maybe a month or two.

Yeah, sporadic is a good word. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3385
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
83 Reed in Mid South as a heel - absolute money



____________________
Comic Saaaaaannnsss
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 4065
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Angelic Assassin wrote: GregOliver wrote: I searched and searched, but I think his NFL claims were ballyhoo. Hard to imagine anything like that would be exaggerated in pro wrestling, eh? Anyone know different?

A Tony Reed played RB for the Chiefs from 1977 to 1980.


And a James Reed DT in 2006 and 2007.


Butch may have had a tryout with them but he never made it to the active roster.  Would likely be impossible to find training camp rosters for the years that might fit.

There's no Bruce Reed or Butch Reed listed in Pro-Football-Reference.
His feud with JYD was legendary. RIP

Last edited on Sun Feb 7th, 2021 01:59 am by BuddyPSHayes



____________________


"The only area I can think of to avoid in Houston is Houston." - srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 361
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm actually running a rant tomorrow on Super Bowl Sunday about how no one did any due diligence on his football career, and I did, and it was fairly typical wrestling hype.



BuddyPSHayes wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: GregOliver wrote: I searched and searched, but I think his NFL claims were ballyhoo. Hard to imagine anything like that would be exaggerated in pro wrestling, eh? Anyone know different?

A Tony Reed played RB for the Chiefs from 1977 to 1980.


And a James Reed DT in 2006 and 2007.


Butch may have had a tryout with them but he never made it to the active roster.  Would likely be impossible to find training camp rosters for the years that might fit.

There's no Bruce Reed or Butch Reed listed in Pro-Football-Reference.
His feud with JYD was legendary. RIP



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, http://www.SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7327
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'd like to know what he did for the 8/9 months between leaving WWF and hitting WCW

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 04:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 14233
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
BuddyPSHayes wrote: Angelic Assassin wrote: GregOliver wrote: I searched and searched, but I think his NFL claims were ballyhoo. Hard to imagine anything like that would be exaggerated in pro wrestling, eh? Anyone know different?

A Tony Reed played RB for the Chiefs from 1977 to 1980.


And a James Reed DT in 2006 and 2007.


Butch may have had a tryout with them but he never made it to the active roster.  Would likely be impossible to find training camp rosters for the years that might fit.

There's no Bruce Reed or Butch Reed listed in Pro-Football-Reference.
His feud with JYD was legendary. RIP
Only thing I could find is signed in May and cut in July in 1976 by the chiefs.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 05:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Portalesman
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 7884
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Such a good rassler to be remembered mostly for saying DAAMMMNNN a lot.



____________________
http://www.wrestlingfanssuck.com

Sixk of Portalsman and he is a total fucking loser and mark for himself. A bore. Dude has never been laid in his life.

Total piece of garbage and a reason I have left wrestling forums. drdelaware
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 361
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Generally, I don't let myself "rant" when it comes to pro wrestling, as it's not worth the hassle. But this was something different, and has to do with facts and Butch Reed's non-existent NFL days. Take the time to read the column at SlamWrestling.net, to comment, and feel free to pass it on to any site you see repeating the error.

https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2021/02/07/mat-matters-its-football-so-get-the-facts-right-on-reed/

And thanks to those on here who sort of poked me to look even deeper.



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, http://www.SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7859
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
GregOliver wrote: Generally, I don't let myself "rant" when it comes to pro wrestling, as it's not worth the hassle. But this was something different, and has to do with facts and Butch Reed's non-existent NFL days. Take the time to read the column at SlamWrestling.net, to comment, and feel free to pass it on to any site you see repeating the error.

https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2021/02/07/mat-matters-its-football-so-get-the-facts-right-on-reed/

And thanks to those on here who sort of poked me to look even deeper.

You do great work, so I don’t mean to sound picky here.  Wasn’t  it fairly common practice to make claims about 70s and 80s wrestlers playing in the NFL even if it was just a stint in Training Camp.  I think we’ve verified Wahoo played in an actual NFL or AFL game, but what about guys like Neidhart, Tito, Luger (USFL? CFL?), etc. I’m missing others, I’m sure.  I always assumed these were guys that had a cup of coffee in camp or the practice squad.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 361
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm fine with whatever they claimed during their pro wrestling days, especially in the kayfabe world pre-1987-ish. But if you are writing an obituary, the facts need to be facts. Period.

Luger played in the CFL and USFL. In fact, he and Ron Simmons were on the same teams, first in Montreal, and then in Tampa Bay in the USFL, and we have Simmons talking about that in this piece: https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2015/07/03/its-damn-hard-being-ron-simmons/

When I get to talk to these guys, I love to get their memories of playing football too. My Santana piece, where he played 13 games for the B.C. Lions in the CFL as a tight end:
https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/1998/07/20/santana-relishes-relaxed-schedule/

Roman Reigns detailed his CFL days for us too:
https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2013/10/10/football-was-roman-reigns-first-love/

The rant is really more about all the insta-re-posters that are out there, running their little wrestling sites, who have zero journalism training, and their main skills appear to be copying from other sites. Unfortunately, it's not just in pro wrestling, but that is our world.



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, http://www.SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 7989
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: GregOliver wrote: Generally, I don't let myself "rant" when it comes to pro wrestling, as it's not worth the hassle. But this was something different, and has to do with facts and Butch Reed's non-existent NFL days. Take the time to read the column at SlamWrestling.net, to comment, and feel free to pass it on to any site you see repeating the error.

https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2021/02/07/mat-matters-its-football-so-get-the-facts-right-on-reed/

And thanks to those on here who sort of poked me to look even deeper.

You do great work, so I don’t mean to sound picky here.  Wasn’t  it fairly common practice to make claims about 70s and 80s wrestlers playing in the NFL even if it was just a stint in Training Camp.  I think we’ve verified Wahoo played in an actual NFL or AFL game, but what about guys like Neidhart, Tito, Luger (USFL? CFL?), etc. I’m missing others, I’m sure.  I always assumed these were guys that had a cup of coffee in camp or the practice squad.


With Wahoo, Tito, Luger and others there is verifiable evidence of the claims they played pro football in one league or another.

With Bruce Reed and Jim Neidhart and countless others they may have been in NFL, CFL, USFL or other pro leagues through training camp and even a pre season game but since little records exist of pre season football game rosters and stats other than the scores anyone could reasonably make such a claim. The car jumper Crimson Mask might have been a pro football player.

Somewhere on the interwebs I seem to remember seeing a thread or two that discussed who's pro football claims were real or bogus. Can't remember where.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 2868
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
it's too bad we don't have more footage of Butch from Georgia and Florida.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2021 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4866
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My recollection is during his early promotional push in the Magazines, they told the story of him defeating Gene kiniski in his debut match, which I assume would be up in Vancouver in 1979. I remember the report of him being a Co winner of a Battle Royal with Andre the Giant in St Louis as my first awareness of Reed.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:55 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > RIP Butch Reed Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems