WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Mickey Mantle 643 Foot Home Run

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Mickey Mantle 643 Foot Home Run  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2021 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7949
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
So this pops up on my Facebook feed today. I saw that some guy estimated that Mantle hit a 643 foot home run. That's on the fly. I think that's virtually impossible. Some guy figured it out using, get this, the Pythagorian Theorm. What do you plebians think?



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2021 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55754
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
We have about 50 years of recorded history, some of it during the steroid era, with bigger, stronger athletes involved in state-of-the-art training techniques they weren’t imaginable decades ago. Not one has come close to a 650 foot home run, even in batting practice. There’s no way Mantle or Ruth or Josh Gibson did this, even though the anecdotes about their prodigious bombs are legendary and have been repeated so often people just accept it. 

Sometimes I watching a monster shot and I’m like, “Holy shit, that must’ve gone 550.”  Then the official statcast measurement comes back at 405 or something relatively miniscule. The human eye and some creative tape measuring led to some interesting yarns from the ‘20s-‘60s. 

Last edited on Fri Feb 12th, 2021 11:47 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 12:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2295
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: So this pops up on my Facebook feed today. I saw that some guy estimated that Mantle hit a 643 foot home run. That's on the fly. I think that's virtually impossible. Some guy figured it out using, get this, the Pythagorian Theorm. What do you plebians think?



Weird.  Earlier today I watched a video purporting to be the 10 longest HR's in history.  It was a fairly shitty video, even by the standards of Youtube, but even it didn't allege anything like this.  What's the link?  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7327
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Biggest shot I ever saw live was the Jose Canseco 5th deck shot in the 89 ALCS vs the Jays at the Skydome. That is listed as being @ 480 ft. Doubt Mantle cranked one another 170 ft further.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 45893
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
If Pythagoras had known someone would use his 'theorem' to determine the length of homerun shots he would have said "no, you're not using it right'

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7859
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: So this pops up on my Facebook feed today. I saw that some guy estimated that Mantle hit a 643 foot home run. That's on the fly. I think that's virtually impossible. Some guy figured it out using, get this, the Pythagorian Theorm. What do you plebians think?


I've watched thousands of a games over the years.  I've attended hundreds in person.  The only way anyone comes close to 643-ft is if the ball bounced and then rolled down a hill by gravity before coming to a stop due to friction.  

The longest homer in US Cellular Field/Guaranteed Rate Field history (opened in '91 at the very beginning of the steroid era) was 504-ft by Joe Borchard.

Video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3osc8qUqA&feature=emb_logo

Borchard was a tank.  It happened late in the summer.  

Do I think Mantle could have hit something about 25% longer than this?  No way in hell.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7949
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: There’s no way  Josh Gibson did this, even though the anecdotes about their prodigious bombs are legendary and have been repeated so often people just accept it. 


Racist much? Denigrating the black mans struggle during Black History Month. No wonder you always lose POTY. 



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55754
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: srossi wrote: There’s no way  Josh Gibson did this, even though the anecdotes about their prodigious bombs are legendary and have been repeated so often people just accept it. 


Racist much? Denigrating the black mans struggle during Black History Month. No wonder you always lose POTY. 

Your clever editing actually made even me think that I singled out the black man. I spent the last 10 minutes watching gay black porn to redeem myself. But now I see that was unnecessary and you tricked me. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17408
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote:
Your clever editing actually made even me think that I singled out the black man. I spent the last 10 minutes watching gay black porn to redeem myself.

Starring DeAndre Von Erich and Keyshawn Von Erich, no doubt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 03:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55754
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: WongLee wrote: So this pops up on my Facebook feed today. I saw that some guy estimated that Mantle hit a 643 foot home run. That's on the fly. I think that's virtually impossible. Some guy figured it out using, get this, the Pythagorian Theorm. What do you plebians think?


I've watched thousands of a games over the years.  I've attended hundreds in person.  The only way anyone comes close to 643-ft is if the ball bounced and then rolled down a hill by gravity before coming to a stop due to friction.  

The longest homer in US Cellular Field/Guaranteed Rate Field history (opened in '91 at the very beginning of the steroid era) was 504-ft by Joe Borchard.

Video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3osc8qUqA&feature=emb_logo

Borchard was a tank.  It happened late in the summer.  

Do I think Mantle could have hit something about 25% longer than this?  No way in hell.

I didn’t Google anything but I’ve watched a lot of baseball, and I can barely remember ever seeing a 500 foot home run in my lifetime. Every time I think one might make it, the official number falls far short. 500 is a true rarity, 550 is almost impossible, and I think much more than that might literally be impossible. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 04:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 45893
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
What if there's a year where the ball is juiced, the batter is juiced and the batter has an illegal bat. Pitcher throws fastball down the middle.



Its had to have happened at some point.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 08:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8911
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Not to get too nerdy, but you can't use Pythagoras' Theorun here. Baseballs travel in a parabola, and with spin, wind and air resistance factored in, it's impossible to calculate this with any accuracy that could give you ay kind of useful answer. I'd like to see his working. If this is legit, the error is likely +/- 100, and that's a low estimate.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 12:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7949
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a moment. The only slim chance I can see of this being true, we have to look at Reggie Jackson's home run in the 1971 All Star Game. Same ballpark, Reggie's shot hit the light tower. The diagram shows Mantle's shot seemingly going OVER the light tower. If Reggie's shot was a little left or right or higher, wondering where that would have ended up.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7859
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a moment. The only slim chance I can see of this being true, we have to look at Reggie Jackson's home run in the 1971 All Star Game. Same ballpark, Reggie's shot hit the light tower. The diagram shows Mantle's shot seemingly going OVER the light tower. If Reggie's shot was a little left or right or higher, wondering where that would have ended up.
I thought about the Reggie homer too.  There's a clip on Youtube.  It doesn't show the homer hitting the transformer on the light tower, but a few moments after Reggie rounds the bases, they show where the transformer is.  It was basically just above the roof.  Hard to tell without video, but I'm guessing Reggie's homer trajectory was on the way down and just barely cleared the facade of the roof before hitting that box.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kS5pwH0hM


Contrasting that, the Mantle homer by the diagram looks like the trajectory would have been 50-ft higher, above the entire light tower.

Fun to think about.

Last edited on Sat Feb 13th, 2021 02:16 pm by Blazer



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Feb 13th, 2021 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55754
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: WongLee wrote: I'm going to play Devils Advocate for a moment. The only slim chance I can see of this being true, we have to look at Reggie Jackson's home run in the 1971 All Star Game. Same ballpark, Reggie's shot hit the light tower. The diagram shows Mantle's shot seemingly going OVER the light tower. If Reggie's shot was a little left or right or higher, wondering where that would have ended up.
I thought about the Reggie homer too.  There's a clip on Youtube.  It doesn't show the homer hitting the transformer on the light tower, but a few moments after Reggie rounds the bases, they show where the transformer is.  It was basically just above the roof.  Hard to tell without video, but I'm guessing Reggie's homer trajectory was on the way down and just barely cleared the facade of the roof before hitting that box.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kS5pwH0hM


Contrasting that, the Mantle homer by the diagram looks like the trajectory would have been 50-ft higher, above the entire light tower.

Fun to think about.

I’m not sure how distances are calculated exactly these days, but they take into account obstructions. So even if if hits something, they can calculate how far it would’ve traveled if it didn’t. And nothing has been estimated within 100 feet of 650. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 05:07 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Mickey Mantle 643 Foot Home Run Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems