WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > YOUR OPINION: THE ELECTRONIC STRIKE ZONE

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
YOUR OPINION: THE ELECTRONIC STRIKE ZONE  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2265
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Franchise wrote: They should place sensors in the batters uniform and around the plate and use the intersection to create a personal strike zone for each batter

How does the pitcher know where that zone is when he wants to paint the corner?  As it stands now, pitchers and umps have a symbiotic relationship and can adjust their performance accordingly.  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 3446
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
khawk wrote: Franchise wrote: They should place sensors in the batters uniform and around the plate and use the intersection to create a personal strike zone for each batterThat is more along the lines of how I thought they would do this. If not, they should consider it if their method fails, it's a good solution, as long as the players can't access their uniform sensors and fudge them to make the zone smaller lol.


If the sensor is in the uniform, the batter could just squat down when the pitch is thrown or when the ball crosses the plate to get a ball called.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17356
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Big Garea Fan wrote: khawk wrote: Franchise wrote: They should place sensors in the batters uniform and around the plate and use the intersection to create a personal strike zone for each batterThat is more along the lines of how I thought they would do this. If not, they should consider it if their method fails, it's a good solution, as long as the players can't access their uniform sensors and fudge them to make the zone smaller lol.


If the sensor is in the uniform, the batter could just squat down when the pitch is thrown or when the ball crosses the plate to get a ball called.
Yeah, I see that could happen.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17356
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
KGB wrote: As it stands now, pitchers and umps have a symbiotic relationship and can adjust their performance accordingly.  that's what baseball wants to get rid of though, isn't it?
This is the slope that instant replay started...the rush to take human error out of the equation will lead to more "innovations" like this to get fit into all pro sports.


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 45799
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I believe tennis has it (video replay) right.


There's an issue, it's reviewed, its quick. Play ball.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 24th, 2021 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 17356
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: I believe tennis has it (video replay) right.


There's an issue, it's reviewed, its quick. Play ball.

Different in the sense that the lines in Tennis are fixed in one place, so the camera system doesn't have to adjust to individual players in any way. Ball hits the line or it doesn't is the entire call.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2021 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 7951
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: I'm definitely not opposed to it, especially if it eliminates the ridiculous "pitch framing" that has come to the forefront in recent years. I think it's something catcher's have always tried, to varying extents, but now it's actually regarded in a statistical sense - which to me is crazy. Catchers are actually rated on their pitch-framing ability.

I'm not sure how the technology is supposed to work, but hopefully it's better than the "Fox Box" or the CF camera with an outline. The camera angles are always skewed a bit depending on where they are set up and sometimes misrepresent the strike zone.


I picked up Lindy's Baseball Annual. Virtually every single catcher the blurb involves their pitch framing ability. There were even catchers who were good hitters and did well in every facet but in the playoffs lost games or at bats because their pitch framing was not considered acceptable.

Won't be long before pitch framing is integrated into fantasy baseball stats somehow. 



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:21 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > YOUR OPINION: THE ELECTRONIC STRIKE ZONE Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems