WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Celebrities & Wrestling, pre WrestleMania

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Celebrities & Wrestling, pre WrestleMania  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12119
Status: 
Offline
We all know about the whole celebrity involvement with wrestling after the first WM but I'm talking about before then and not with them being a part of the show a'la Andy Kaufman, etc. I talking about celebrity sightings in the crowd, just there to watch the matches and maybe after the shows paling around with he wrestlers at the local bar or whatever.
I know Bruno Sammartino used to get around with that type crowd a bit after an MSG show, but what about say Bob Backlund? Were there any stories of where he used to frequent in NYC to eat or have a drink after the matches? Did he have any celebrity fans?
Who were some celebrities spotted in the crowd at MSG shows?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
retroken



Joined: Tue Jan 8th, 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1920
Status: 
Offline
Debbie Harry from Blondie was at an August 1979 show that I saw on disc and Vince was starstruck-  this is from an earlier post i wrote about it

"the best part of this house show was Vince TOTALLY HITTING ON Debbie Harry from Blondie (who did look sensational back in '79)  Vince was embarrasing himself and fawning all over her right in front of her guitarist/boyfriend Chris Stein. Harry said her favorite wrestlers were Bob Backlund and Greg Valentine.

Last edited on Wed Oct 29th, 2008 05:58 pm by retroken

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
retroken wrote: Debbie Harry from Blondie was at an August 1979 show that I saw on disc and Vince was starstruck-  this is from an earlier post i wrote about it

"the best part of this house show was Vince TOTALLY HITTING ON Debbie Harry from Blondie (who did look sensational back in '79)  Vince was embarrasing himself and fawning all over her right in front of her guitarist/boyfriend Chris Stein. Harry said her favorite wrestlers were Bob Backlund and Greg Valentine.

didn't she do a broadway play about wrestling that was so bad it only lasted 1 or 2 shows?



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
didn't billy gibbons of ZZ TOP go to alot of mid-south and world class shows in the late 70's-early 80's?



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
HarryG
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sat Jun 28th, 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Posts: 2019
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: retroken wrote: Debbie Harry from Blondie was at an August 1979 show that I saw on disc and Vince was starstruck-  this is from an earlier post i wrote about it

"the best part of this house show was Vince TOTALLY HITTING ON Debbie Harry from Blondie (who did look sensational back in '79)  Vince was embarrasing himself and fawning all over her right in front of her guitarist/boyfriend Chris Stein. Harry said her favorite wrestlers were Bob Backlund and Greg Valentine.

didn't she do a broadway play about wrestling that was so bad it only lasted 1 or 2 shows?

Teaneck Tanzie, I think.  Andy Kaufman was also in it.

NRBQ (who had a cup of coffee with fame) were pals with Jimmy Valiant and Lou Albano.  The mythical Uncle Floyd from NY-area TV was tight with Larry Zybysco.
Bruno was seen with Jilly Rizzo and at times, Sinatra in the 1960's.



____________________
Trying to find my way back....
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Is this the same Jilly Rizzo who would be considered more infamous than famous?  I mean the Colombo-connected one.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 09:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12119
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: Is this the same Jilly Rizzo who would be considered more infamous than famous?  I mean the Colombo-connected one.


Yeah there's a story Larry Z tells in his book where Bruno took Larry, Denucci, Parisi and Angelo Savoldi to Jilly's restaurant in NYC to meet Frank Sinatra. Larry said there were lots of famous Italians there. He said a little old man came up to him and proceeded to tell Larry a Pollock joke(not knowing that Larry was Polish himself)Larry responded with a bad Italian joke: "Why don't Italians have freckles?...They slide off his face."
No one laughed and Larry said Bruno gave him the "WTF did you just do look?" The old guy just turned around and walked away. Bruno later told him that the old guy's name was Carlo Gambino.
I thought that was a great story and tells a lot of who some of the people Bruno schmoozed with back in the day.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
Andy Warhol went to the shows circa 1984 or so.

Last edited on Wed Oct 29th, 2008 10:23 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Andy Warhol went to the shows circa 1984 or so.

that's because it was the "hip" thing at the time.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 29th, 2008 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
In Blassies book he tells a story about Rizzo being backstage at his 1964 Roosevelt Stadium title match with Bruno. Rizzo wasn't smartened up and was about to supposedly threaten Blassie with a gun when Bruno stepped in and said he would take care of Fred later on.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 30th, 2008 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3972
Status: 
Offline
Elvis would watch matches from behind the stage in Memphis in the 50s and 60s. The elder George Bush was a friend of Paul Boesch and would attend matches before his political career.



____________________


"The only area I can think of to avoid in Houston is Houston." - srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 12:51 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Celebrities & Wrestling, pre WrestleMania Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems