WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > I Saw the Wrestler Part 2

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
I Saw the Wrestler Part 2  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 05:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
If any old guys are still working that is a sign they didn't save their money.  The exceptions being Larry Zbyszko, Abdullah, and Bill Eadie.



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 05:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51228
Status: 
Offline
I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7410
Status: 
Offline
I don't know how well Muraco was doing because after he retired from sports entertaining full time in the mid-90's he is on record as saying that he was very lucky that he got a job as a longshoreman in Hawaii.



____________________
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) October 8, 2009
hello @Paula_Deen you have midget pig dick and dead dog tits I hope I see you I break your fucking fat neck bitch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
I saw alot more steriod druug use/abuse in the 1990's than I do today in indy locker rooms.  Maybe I traveled more back then and most of the guys I woirk with now realize this is as good as it will get.  The dealer scenes were very common in the 1990's and some guys with no chance of going to WWF, WCW and ECW were on the juice back then.



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 05:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51228
Status: 
Offline
Kid_Naitch wrote: The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.

The drug dealer was a bodybuilder that Darren Aronofsky met in a Florida club.  He just liked his look and introduced himself and gave him the part.  He had never acted before but Aronfsky was impressed with how well he delivered some pretty complicated dialogue.  The guy has since picked up a handful of other small roles.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Kid_Naitch wrote: The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.

The drug dealer was a bodybuilder that Darren Aronofsky met in a Florida club.  He just liked his look and introduced himself and gave him the part.  He had never acted before but Aronfsky was impressed with how well he delivered some pretty complicated dialogue.  The guy has since picked up a handful of other small roles.

Ah. I think the contradiction works even though not a wrestler. Here's a guy who comes across as a real life user and is in a scene selling stuff he really uses that is part of the main character's downfall. Certainly not the first time this has happened in cinematic history, but it was the first time I thought about it.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7410
Status: 
Offline
I'm being nitpicky here but what bothered me most about the locker room scene was that the "dealer" had every single drug under the sun at his instant disposal. When I was on the gas I had some dynamite connections. However, the steroids that you did was determined simply by what was around at that point in time. Sometimes there was no deca around anywhere for 6 months, sometimes no winstrol, sometimes no d-bol. Also, the guys who sold the roids never dabbled in coke or pain-killers. That was another group of people you dealt with. Everyone I knew got vicoden and percs from two different sources who worked in a pharmacy. The pharmacy guys had no idea about steroids. Coke was again a completely different set of people you dealt with.



____________________
— The Iron Sheik (@the_ironsheik) October 8, 2009
hello @Paula_Deen you have midget pig dick and dead dog tits I hope I see you I break your fucking fat neck bitch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51228
Status: 
Offline
I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: I don't know how well Muraco was doing because after he retired from sports entertaining full time in the mid-90's he is on record as saying that he was very lucky that he got a job as a longshoreman in Hawaii.
pretty sure that muraco said in an interview that the reason that he worked as a longshoreman was for the workout and the great medical insurance that they receive. he acted that he didn't need it for the money.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 08:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

i'm pretty sure that storm saved his money pretty well also, the same for the funk brothers.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51228
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: srossi wrote: I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

i'm pretty sure that storm saved his money pretty well also, the same for the funk brothers.

That was my point.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

I didn't pick that up, but I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 09:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
One Fan Gang

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
 

Hey Grog-  how close is it for you to watch the parallels of the tracking shot of "Robin" walking through the Acme Foods breakroom and stock room en route to the staging area of the deli counter?  It reminded me of the Spinal Tap guys for a few seconds, too :D

When he's on the pier with his daughter and they discover the ballroom, once again my thought process kicks in:

 

1.  Wow, this is a great looking room... or was at one time.

2.  I wonder if they ever held wrestling shows in here.

3.  I wonder what the rent is for this dump; some group ought to try running here.  Now, where would the boys have to enter from...

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:22 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > I Saw the Wrestler Part 2 Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems