WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > I Saw the Wrestler Part 2

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
I saw the movie this Afternoon. I thought it was a great movie. If Mickey Rourke does not get the Oscar this year then its a damn shame.

I like how it doesnt have the Hollywood ending. Doesnt get the girl,daughter still and always will hate him.

Marisa Tomei does a great job as the stripper.  It was a little hard thinking she was a washed up stripped cause she has a great body, how ever when there was a close up of her I thought you could see it.

As for the ending I liked how it went to black like it did. I got the feeling that if he didnt die then he would die in the ring sometime in the future.

Portalesman
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 7785
Status: 
Offline
Thats a lie.  There is no Wrestler part 2.  The first one is still in theatres.

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16091
Status: 
Offline
I get the impression that this film will never make it to the theaters in a small burg like this one. I hope it isn't too long getting to dvd.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: I get the impression that this film will never make it to the theaters in a small burg like this one. I hope it isn't too long getting to dvd.
I heard its coming out in April

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
It finally made it to a theater near me. I'm checking it out this afternoon.

CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
bpickering wrote:
I like how it doesnt have the Hollywood ending. Doesnt get the girl,daughter still and always will hate him.


As for the ending I liked how it went to black like it did. I got the feeling that if he didnt die then he would die in the ring sometime in the future.

Thanks for saving me 12 bucks. :(

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: bpickering wrote:
I like how it doesnt have the Hollywood ending. Doesnt get the girl,daughter still and always will hate him.


As for the ending I liked how it went to black like it did. I got the feeling that if he didnt die then he would die in the ring sometime in the future.

Thanks for saving me 12 bucks. :(

Sorry I thought people would know that spoilers would be talked about in this thread just like the 1st one.

Last edited on Sat Jan 24th, 2009 06:42 pm by bpickering

sek69



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 5509
Status: 
Offline
In related news, ever since Rourke won the Golden Globe and was nominated for the Oscar, Vince has done a turnaround on the movie and now wants to use it as their mainstream tie-in for Wrestlemania and somehow get Rourke involved.


Hell, I'm sure Earnest Miller doesn't have anything else planned, why not have Randy the Ram vs The Ayatollah at Mania?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51205
Status: 
Offline
I was pretty shocked at "The Wrestler" being promoted on SD! last night.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  "The Wrestler" has more buzz surrounding it than anything WWE has done in 8 years so it's bandwagon jumping time.  By the time Vince tries to re-write history, he'll be claiming it's a WWE Films production and the straight-to-DVD "Behind Enemy Lines 36" commercial will say "From the makers of the Academy-Award winning film 'The Wrestler...'"

CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
bpickering wrote: CanadianHorseman wrote: bpickering wrote:
I like how it doesnt have the Hollywood ending. Doesnt get the girl,daughter still and always will hate him.


As for the ending I liked how it went to black like it did. I got the feeling that if he didnt die then he would die in the ring sometime in the future.

Thanks for saving me 12 bucks. :(

Sorry I thought people would know that spoilers would be talked about in this thread just like the 1st one.

Ah man - I was just kidding. :D

Cory17



Joined: Sat Oct 20th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 812
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: I get the impression that this film will never make it to the theaters in a small burg like this one. I hope it isn't too long getting to dvd.
It made it too Edmonton, so it can pretty much make it anywhere.

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16091
Status: 
Offline
Cory17 wrote: khawk wrote: I get the impression that this film will never make it to the theaters in a small burg like this one. I hope it isn't too long getting to dvd.
It made it too Edmonton, so it can pretty much make it anywhere.

Edmonton is the Big City compared to Thunder Bay. Seriously.

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
Got to it today. Loved it. Necro sucks balls even in a movie.

Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
I just back from seeing it and loved it.  I live that shot about 30  days a year still, though I have NEVER seen EMT stiching guys up at the American Legion Hall or high school gym.  I never saw Necro Butcher work before so he was older than I anticipated but that played perfect.  I knew a lot of those guys in the dressing room scenes (Andy Anderson, Kevin Matthews, Judas Young, Pete Nixon) Itwas funny hearing people in the theater groan when Rouke is making his blade and then juicing himself.  A very accurate depiction of indy wrestling and its lifestyle, payoffs, and guys like Ricky Morton, Bobby Eaton, Buddy Landell, Manny Fernandez and others this is probably hitting close to home.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Count Grog wrote: I just back from seeing it and loved it.  I live that shot about 30  days a year still, though I have NEVER seen EMT stiching guys up at the American Legion Hall or high school gym.  I never saw Necro Butcher work before so he was older than I anticipated but that played perfect.  I knew a lot of those guys in the dressing room scenes (Andy Anderson, Kevin Matthews, Judas Young, Pete Nixon) Itwas funny hearing people in the theater groan when Rouke is making his blade and then juicing himself.  A very accurate depiction of indy wrestling and its lifestyle, payoffs, and guys like Ricky Morton, Bobby Eaton, Buddy Landell, Manny Fernandez and others this is probably hitting close to home.
eaton never saved too much of his money grog?

Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
If any old guys are still working that is a sign they didn't save their money.  The exceptions being Larry Zbyszko, Abdullah, and Bill Eadie.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51205
Status: 
Offline
I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7407
Status: 
Offline
I don't know how well Muraco was doing because after he retired from sports entertaining full time in the mid-90's he is on record as saying that he was very lucky that he got a job as a longshoreman in Hawaii.

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.

Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
I saw alot more steriod druug use/abuse in the 1990's than I do today in indy locker rooms.  Maybe I traveled more back then and most of the guys I woirk with now realize this is as good as it will get.  The dealer scenes were very common in the 1990's and some guys with no chance of going to WWF, WCW and ECW were on the juice back then.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51205
Status: 
Offline
Kid_Naitch wrote: The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.

The drug dealer was a bodybuilder that Darren Aronofsky met in a Florida club.  He just liked his look and introduced himself and gave him the part.  He had never acted before but Aronfsky was impressed with how well he delivered some pretty complicated dialogue.  The guy has since picked up a handful of other small roles.

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Kid_Naitch wrote: The steroids/drug purchasing scene was one of the most interesting to me. Here's a guy (the massive dealer) who obviously seems to be on roids playing an enabler in a movie. I take it he was an acutal indy guy? The scene seems to describe how rife drug abuse is in wrestling and it's complicity in Ram's downward spiral. Yet the scene also shows Ram praising the deal. I just thought it was a good contradication, and one of those things a wrestling fan can appreciate perhaps more than the general audience.

The drug dealer was a bodybuilder that Darren Aronofsky met in a Florida club.  He just liked his look and introduced himself and gave him the part.  He had never acted before but Aronfsky was impressed with how well he delivered some pretty complicated dialogue.  The guy has since picked up a handful of other small roles.

Ah. I think the contradiction works even though not a wrestler. Here's a guy who comes across as a real life user and is in a scene selling stuff he really uses that is part of the main character's downfall. Certainly not the first time this has happened in cinematic history, but it was the first time I thought about it.

WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7407
Status: 
Offline
I'm being nitpicky here but what bothered me most about the locker room scene was that the "dealer" had every single drug under the sun at his instant disposal. When I was on the gas I had some dynamite connections. However, the steroids that you did was determined simply by what was around at that point in time. Sometimes there was no deca around anywhere for 6 months, sometimes no winstrol, sometimes no d-bol. Also, the guys who sold the roids never dabbled in coke or pain-killers. That was another group of people you dealt with. Everyone I knew got vicoden and percs from two different sources who worked in a pharmacy. The pharmacy guys had no idea about steroids. Coke was again a completely different set of people you dealt with.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51205
Status: 
Offline
I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: I don't know how well Muraco was doing because after he retired from sports entertaining full time in the mid-90's he is on record as saying that he was very lucky that he got a job as a longshoreman in Hawaii.
pretty sure that muraco said in an interview that the reason that he worked as a longshoreman was for the workout and the great medical insurance that they receive. he acted that he didn't need it for the money.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

i'm pretty sure that storm saved his money pretty well also, the same for the funk brothers.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 51205
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: srossi wrote: I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

i'm pretty sure that storm saved his money pretty well also, the same for the funk brothers.

That was my point.

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

I didn't pick that up, but I'll have to pay more attention when I see it again.

One Fan Gang

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
 

Hey Grog-  how close is it for you to watch the parallels of the tracking shot of "Robin" walking through the Acme Foods breakroom and stock room en route to the staging area of the deli counter?  It reminded me of the Spinal Tap guys for a few seconds, too :D

When he's on the pier with his daughter and they discover the ballroom, once again my thought process kicks in:

 

1.  Wow, this is a great looking room... or was at one time.

2.  I wonder if they ever held wrestling shows in here.

3.  I wonder what the rent is for this dump; some group ought to try running here.  Now, where would the boys have to enter from...

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

 

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

Me too, considering the follow up scene in Ram working out, and he's wearing the same clothes that he was during the buy.  Also that lockerroom looked like every meat-head gym lockerroom I've ever been in. 

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: srossi wrote: I think some of them are in better shape than others and just don't know what else to do with their lives.  Guys like Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Lance Storm, Tito Santana, and Don Muraco don't strike me as destitute, more like they live for the pop and have a wrestling obsession.  Obviously Mick Foley we know is extremely wealthy and he falls into that category and will continue to have comeback matches forever.  People forget that before Foley came back with either WWE or TNA, he was seriously thinking about wrestling Samoa Joe on a little ROH show for peanuts.

i'm pretty sure that storm saved his money pretty well also, the same for the funk brothers.

That was my point.

i know, i just made a statement.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
As of Sunday Jan 25



Domestic:
 $9,512,000
   85.8%

+ Foreign:
 $1,580,478
   14.2%




= Worldwide:
 $11,092,478

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
The theater I saw it at Sat. afternoon was packed.

Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15714
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: srossi wrote: I want to point out that this was NOT a wrestling locker room, it was supposed to be a gym.  No one got that, but that's what Aronofsky said.  The biggest criticism from the wrestlers who saw it was that they've never seen anything like that in a wrestling locker room, but that's not where they were supposed to be.  It wasn't made clear though.


I thought it was pretty clear that they were at a gym.

Me too, considering the follow up scene in Ram working out, and he's wearing the same clothes that he was during the buy.  Also that lockerroom looked like every meat-head gym lockerroom I've ever been in. 

yeahI have seen that in a wrestling locker room.  Maybe not that much stuff at once but pretty close.  If Cueball Carmicheal's book ever comes out (which knowing Cueball is never) it paints a very telling scene of 1990's steriod use in the indy wrestling world (and WWE-WCW).  I've know guys like Spellbinder who could have easily palyed that role in the movie.

Super Snott



Joined: Wed Jan 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 3329
Status: 
Offline
I liked it. Probably the best movie I saw in the last year next to The Dark Knight.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
bpickering wrote: As of Sunday Jan 25



Domestic:
 $9,512,000
   85.8%

+ Foreign:
 $1,580,478
   14.2%




= Worldwide:
 $11,092,478

considering that their budget was only 6 million for the movie, i think that it's doing quite well.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
As of Sunday Feb 1





Domestic:
 $13,089,000
   81.4%

+ Foreign:
 $2,984,877
   18.6%




= Worldwide:
 $16,073,877
 

sportatorium roach



Joined: Tue Oct 16th, 2007
Location: Southern IL
Posts: 1050
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: bpickering wrote: As of Sunday Jan 25



Domestic:
 $9,512,000
   85.8%

+ Foreign:
 $1,580,478
   14.2%




= Worldwide:
 $11,092,478

considering that their budget was only 6 million for the movie, i think that it's doing quite well.


Plus, there are people who live in a small town full of crackers (like me) who can't see it yet.  I'll probably have to wait for the DVD.

Last edited on Fri Feb 6th, 2009 04:48 am by sportatorium roach

sek69



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 5509
Status: 
Offline
I think Grog's the first person involved in THA BIZ in any capacity that copped to the drug buying scene having any accuracy.

I mean, we all knew it was probably pretty accurate but the way guys like Mick Foley tripped over themselves to make it clear they felt that scene was exaggerated made it clear how spot on it really was.

Bix



Joined: Tue Nov 20th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1607
Status: 
Offline
Yeah even though it was supposed to be in the gym I've heard enough jacked up indy guys as drug dealers stories that I'm sure that being at a show's lockerroom would've been accurate too.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
As of Feb 8




Domestic:
 $16,193,000
   80.1%

+ Foreign:
 $4,019,722
   19.9%




= Worldwide:
 $20,212,722
 
 

pwinsider
Mickey Rourke tonight won a BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) for Leading Actor. He dropped a couple of f-bombs in his acceptance speech, something not normally done at the BAFTA's but everyone loved him. I believe last year all four acting awards went to the same actors in both the BAFTA's and Oscars.....signs are good.

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
I was kinda disappointed that The Boss was even nominated for a Grammy for the title track he penned.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18050
Status: 
Offline
Kid_Naitch wrote: I was kinda disappointed that The Boss was even nominated for a Grammy for the title track he penned.
He is not even nominated for a oscar..



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems