WowBB Forums Home 

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost


 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
I enjoyed the NHL thread about a random guy you remember from some point and time, so how about an NBA one?

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43338
Status: 
Offline
Wilt the Stilt

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
World B Free

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
Kevin Porter is one of the great forgotten NBA stars of the 1970s. He played with the Bullets from 1972-73 to 1974-75, then for the Pistons from 1975-76 to early in 1977-78, spent most of 1977-78 with the Nets, then went back to the Pistons for 1978-79, and finished up with the Bullets again from 1979-80 to 1982-83.

During those 11 seasons, Porter led the NBA in assists 4 times and at one time held the single game assist record, but never made an All Star Game and has largely been ignored historically.


freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: World B Free
never passed up a shot that he couldn't make.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Bobby Jones

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
George McGinnis

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
sedale threatt

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
Speaking of Bobby Jones and George McGinnis, they were traded for one another after the 1977-78 season with Jones going to the 76ers and McGinnis going the other way to the Nuggets. Big George had been an All Star level performer with the Pacers in the ABA and then in the NBA for the Sixers. He averaged 22.6 ppg and 11.4 rpg in his first year in Denver, but then fell apart and was out of basketball after the 1981-82 season. In Philly, Jones ended up winning a title in 1982-83 and was 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team on another occasion.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Billy Paultz

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: Kevin Porter is one of the great forgotten NBA stars of the 1970s. He played with the Bullets from 1972-73 to 1974-75, then for the Pistons from 1975-76 to early in 1977-78, spent most of 1977-78 with the Nets, then went back to the Pistons for 1978-79, and finished up with the Bullets again from 1979-80 to 1982-83.

During those 11 seasons, Porter led the NBA in assists 4 times and at one time held the single game assist record, but never made an All Star Game and has largely been ignored historically.



Barely remember him.  My dad used to talk about how good he was.  I think he got into some fisticuffs with the Pistons coach (Herb Brown maybe?).

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Fat Lever
Swen Nater
Chuck Nevitt
Ernie DiGregorio

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13225
Status: 
Offline
John Brisker
Billy Knight
Cazzie Russell
Bobby Dandrige
Donald "Slick" Watts

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Fat Lever
Swen Nater
Chuck Nevitt
Ernie DiGregorio


Fat Level was awesome.

Swen Nater played for the clippers

Chuck Nevitt was like 7'5" and was the 12th man on the Pistons

never heard of Ernie DiGregorio

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: Speaking of Bobby Jones and George McGinnis, they were traded for one another after the 1977-78 season with Jones going to the 76ers and McGinnis going the other way to the Nuggets. Big George had been an All Star level performer with the Pacers in the ABA and then in the NBA for the Sixers. He averaged 22.6 ppg and 11.4 rpg in his first year in Denver, but then fell apart and was out of basketball after the 1981-82 season. In Philly, Jones ended up winning a title in 1982-83 and was 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team on another occasion.
the Sixers got the better end of that trade for sure.  McGinnis and DR.J could get along and Jones was a shutdown defensive foward and could score 15ppg. i think that Jones even made the all star team, even though he was a back up for the Sixers.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
i got 2 words for you:

Granville Waiters

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13225
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: LAF wrote: Fat Lever
Swen Nater
Chuck Nevitt
Ernie DiGregorio


Fat Level was awesome.

Swen Nater played for the clippers

Chuck Nevitt was like 7'5" and was the 12th man on the Pistons

never heard of Ernie DiGregorio


Ernie D was a scrawny white boy who played for the Buffalo Braves.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Wasn't Ernie D involved in some point shaving/gambling scandal in college?

stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
Scott Hastings

David Greenwood

Detlef Schrempf

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Wasn't Ernie D involved in some point shaving/gambling scandal in college?

I'm not sure who you're thinking about, but Ernie DiGregorio was clean. As a hometown boy made good, he was probably Providence's biggest hometown sports hero for many years, even after leaving the NBA. He was on Providence's Final Four team in 1973 and was the NBA Rookie of the Year with the Buffalo Braves in 1973-74 when he led the league in assists and free throw percentage after being the #3 pick in the draft. Ernie D got tagged as Ernie No D early on due to his poor defensive play. He faded quickly after that rookie season and was out of the NBA after the 1977-78 season.

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43338
Status: 
Offline
The shortest player ever to win a slam dunk contest..........

Spud Webb. He was fun to watch.



 



 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Joe Barry Carroll

Alex English

Jamaal Wilkes

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
nyhack56 wrote: Joe Barry Carroll

Joe Barely Caring

Sidney Wicks
Brian Winters
Blair Rasmussen
Alexander Volkov (first Russian NBA player)
Paul Mokeski
 

Last edited on Tue Feb 24th, 2009 11:17 pm by LAF

thunderbolt
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6205
Status: 
Offline
A few random thoughts -

Ernie Digregorio had the blackest game for a white guy ever.  But alas, he earned the nickname "Ernie No-D".  He played at Providence with noted headcase and ubertalent Marvin "Bad News" Barnes and Kevin Stacom, who became the Celtics designated thug off the bench.

When I would see him in the ABA, Swen Nater was a hothead with a short temper who was never shy about responding to a provocation or throwing a punch.  For a big guy, he could really fight.  Somewhere along the way, probably during his Milwaukee years right after the merger, he became born again and pacified and had totally lost that edge by the time he came to the Lakers.

Dennis Awtrey had a long NBA career based primarily on the fact that he got the better of Lew Alcindor - Kareem Abdul Jabbar at least twice on national television.  Not in basketball, in fights.  The guy was tough.

Sidney Wicks was hampered by being in the closet for his entire career.  Having the living shit beaten out of him by 5'9" Calvin Murphy on national television didn't help matters, but Murphy beat the shit out of a lot of guys.

Moses Malone and Bobby Jones are probbaly my two favorite players ever who aren't Dr. J, and that '83 Sixers team is by far my favorite team ever.

You have to be really old to remember how very good Billy Cunningham was as a player.  Very few white guys could jump like he could Tom Chambers and Bobby Jones comparing to him in that regard.




gwlee7



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5301
Status: 
Offline
Both Chuck Nevitt and Spud Webb played here at NC State.  Nevitt was just a tall duffus while Webb could really freaking play.

WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Bay Shore, New York
Posts: 7006
Status: 
Offline
ABA version

Larry Kenon

Fly Williams

David Thompson

Dan Issel

Billy Knight

Marvin Barnes

Mack Calvin

Freddie Lewis

Louis Dampier

Brian Taylor

Gone_Fishing

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 851
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Fat Lever
Swen Nater
Chuck Nevitt
Ernie DiGregorio

anyone got a count on how many rings Chuck Nevitt won?


thunderbolt
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6205
Status: 
Offline
Gone_Fishing wrote: LAF wrote: Fat Lever
Swen Nater
Chuck Nevitt
Ernie DiGregorio

anyone got a count on how many rings Chuck Nevitt won?


Just one, with the Lakers in 1985.

Nevitt was the subject of the first quote which made me realize Jim Valvano was actually a pretty bright guy.  Nevitt weighed like 190 his freahman year at NC State and was injuredduring practice.  During a press briefing Valvano said " It's a muscle pull, so the bad news is he'll be out for a little while.  The good news is it confirms he has a muscle."

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
I think that Gone_Fishing is thinking of Mike Smrek, a Canisius College grad who was a 12th man 7'0 white guy on a couple of those Lakers teams in the 80s as well.

Last edited on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 02:25 am by LAF

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Joe Kleine

Tree Rollins

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
Does anyone remember Leon Wood? He was an off guard from Cal State-Fullerton and a member of the gold medal winning team from the 1984 Olympics. The 76ers made him the 10th overall pick in the 1984 draft with a choice aquired from the Nuggets. He never ended up being more than a journeyman player and his career ended after the 1991-92 season. He has been an NBA referee since 1995-96 and is one of only three persons to both play and officiate in the league.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: Does anyone remember Leon Wood? He was an off guard from Cal State-Fullerton and a member of the gold medal winning team from the 1984 Olympics. The 76ers made him the 10th overall pick in the 1984 draft with a choice aquired from the Nuggets. He never ended up being more than a journeyman player and his career ended after the 1991-92 season. He has been an NBA referee since 1995-96 and is one of only three persons to both play and officiate in the league.
He was a stiff. waste of a draft pick.

Hammer to Fall



Joined: Wed Nov 7th, 2007
Location: Near An Enigma
Posts: 1860
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote:

Tree Rollins


Tree was from Cordele.

Cordele was a racial hotbed until they realized that Tree could play some basketball. Everybody gets along fine over there now.

He was or still is a coach in the WNBA.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Hammer to Fall wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote:

Tree Rollins


Tree was from Cordele.

Cordele was a racial hotbed until they realized that Tree could play some basketball. Everybody gets along fine over there now.

He was or still is a coach in the WNBA.

where's Cordele located at ?

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
I have a copy of the game where Tree Rollins bit Danny Ainge during a Hawks-Celtics playoff series in 1983. "Tree Bites Man."

carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11666
Status: 
Offline
Jerry Sichting

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Scott Brooks

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13225
Status: 
Offline
Marvin "the human eraser" Webster

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Manute Bol

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Manute Bol

he was a 3pt. specialist.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Jawaan Oldham

Hammer to Fall



Joined: Wed Nov 7th, 2007
Location: Near An Enigma
Posts: 1860
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote:
Hammer to Fall wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote:

Tree Rollins


Tree was from Cordele.

Cordele was a racial hotbed until they realized that Tree could play some basketball. Everybody gets along fine over there now.

He was or still is a coach in the WNBA.

where's Cordele located at ?


Not quite midway between Macon and the Florida line.

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
Hammer to Fall wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote:
Hammer to Fall wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote:

Tree Rollins


Tree was from Cordele.

Cordele was a racial hotbed until they realized that Tree could play some basketball. Everybody gets along fine over there now.

He was or still is a coach in the WNBA.

where's Cordele located at ?


Not quite midway between Macon and the Florida line.

When Tree was looking at colleges, apart from getting him a car and about $60,000, Clemson head coach Tates Locke actually invented a phony black fraternity in order to fool Tree into thinking he'd have a social life on the mostly white campus that had only been integrated a decade earlier.

Last edited on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 04:50 pm by tamalie

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
stingmark wrote: Scott Hastings

David Greenwood


First two obscure guys I thought of too.  The glory days of the Bad Boys.  Those two never got off the bench unless the Pistons played the Bulls.  Then they each come in and knock Jordan on his ass twice and go back to the bench.

I toss out Walker D. Russell.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Michael Ray Richardson.  he had the world in his hands and he blew it up his nose.

Last edited on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 08:48 pm by freebirdsforever2001

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: tamalie wrote: Speaking of Bobby Jones and George McGinnis, they were traded for one another after the 1977-78 season with Jones going to the 76ers and McGinnis going the other way to the Nuggets. Big George had been an All Star level performer with the Pacers in the ABA and then in the NBA for the Sixers. He averaged 22.6 ppg and 11.4 rpg in his first year in Denver, but then fell apart and was out of basketball after the 1981-82 season. In Philly, Jones ended up winning a title in 1982-83 and was 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team on another occasion.
the Sixers got the better end of that trade for sure.  McGinnis and DR.J could get along and Jones was a shutdown defensive foward and could score 15ppg. i think that Jones even made the all star team, even though he was a back up for the Sixers.

 Jones was the NBA's first 6th man of the year winner while he was with the 76ers.

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Fennis Dembo

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Fennis Dembo

Good one.

Caldwell Jones

Herb Williams

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: LAF wrote: Fennis Dembo

Good one.

Caldwell Jones

Herb Williams

Caldwell went to Houston in the trade that brought Moses Malone to Philly.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Fennis Dembo
Another Bad Boys Era Piston who never got off the bench.  I liked his name.

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: LAF wrote: Fennis Dembo

Good one.

Caldwell Jones

Herb Williams

Caldwell went to Houston in the trade that brought Moses Malone to Philly.

Caldwell also had three brothers, Wil, Major, and Charles, who, like him, played college basketball at Albany State in Georgia and then in the NBA and ABA. Near the end of his career, Charles picked up a title ring as a bench player for the Rockets.

Last edited on Fri Feb 27th, 2009 04:37 pm by tamalie

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
I liked Major Jones.  He played for the Pistons for a while.  He was a real hot dog, but fun to watch.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Darryl Dawkins

Clint Richardson

Franklin Edwards

Hammer to Fall



Joined: Wed Nov 7th, 2007
Location: Near An Enigma
Posts: 1860
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote:
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: LAF wrote: Fennis Dembo

Good one.

Caldwell Jones

Herb Williams

Caldwell went to Houston in the trade that brought Moses Malone to Philly.

Caldwell also had three brothers, Wil, Major, and Charles, who, like him, played college basketball at Albany State in Georgia and then in the NBA and ABA. Near the end of his career, Charles picked up a title ring as a bench player for the Rockets.


In 1991, Dad took me to a Braves game. We stopped at the McDonald's on Cleveland Avenue for a meal.

He left me at a table while he went to order. Several minutes later, he comes back with the food and a story.

Dad's 6'5". Another tall guy in line out of the blue started talking to him.

Guy: You ever play basketball?

Dad: No. Did you?

Guy: Albany State.

Dad: Did you ever play with the Taylor boys?

Guy: Do you know Miss Mattie?

Dad apparently confirmed it. The guy starts talking about going with the Taylor brothers to their home in Enigma. Their mother - Miss Mattie - can cook and she'd feed anybody who walked in the door.

The Taylor boys are our local legends. We're friends with the family, as Dad worked with Miss Mattie at Enigma Elementary.

This story does have a bit of a point.

Last year, Dad ran into one of the Taylor boys. He hadn't seen him in years. He happened to remember the meeting in Atlanta and asked him who it could've been.

Wayne told him it was probably one of the Jones brothers. Based on the years they all played at Albany State and how tall he was, we figure it was probably Wil.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
Orlando Woolridge

Xavier McDaniel

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Tyrone Corbin
Chuck Nevitt
Dennis Awtrey
Larry Kenon
John Mengelt

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13225
Status: 
Offline
Larue Martin
Geoff petrie
Happy Hairston
Spencer haywood

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Maurice Lucas
Bobby Dandridge
Scott Skiles
Kevin Edwards
Sherman Douglas

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Scott Skiles


I've always wondered how many points he would have averaged in college if there was a three point line.  He used drill shots from well behind the NBA line.

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Scott Wedman
Billy "The Whopper" Paultz
Roy Hinson

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Jeff Ruland

Marc Iavaroni

Pearl Washington

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Jeff Ruland


 

He was a bad ass.  He and Mahorn were bad mofos.  He had a cup of coffee with the Pistons at the end of his career.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Ed Nealy
Steve Kerr
Fred Downtown Brown
Gus Williams
Jack Sikma

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
Kelly Tripuka

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Kelly Tripuka
white boy afro.

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
Mike Sanders

Mitchell Wiggins

Christian Whelp

James Donaldson

Terry Teagle

Last edited on Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 11:46 pm by BayouBoogie

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Ed Nealy

Jack Sikma


Neely keot bouncing between the Suns and Bulls.

I always think of the big man draining threes and free throws when I think of Sikma.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: Kelly Tripuka
white boy afro.

One of my favorite players ever.

LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Tripucka is now an occasional color analyst for the Knicks. Used to do Nets games.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9831
Status: 
Offline
Uwe Blab

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43338
Status: 
Offline
Bo Outlaw
Carlos Boozer
God Shammgod
Moochie Norris

retroken



Joined: Tue Jan 8th, 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1906
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Scott Wedman
Billy "The Whopper" Paultz
Roy Hinson


Scot Wedman, Jerry Sichting and (sixth man of the year) Bill Walton were the greatest white-guy bench of the modern era and brought the Celtics their 16th banner in 1986

Wedman and Sichting were deadeye shooters

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4398
Status: 
Offline
How about the 1986 NBA draft? This was one of the worst ever.

#2 pick Len Bias OD'd on cocaine the next night. #3 Chris Washburn, #6 William Bedford, and #7 Roy Tarpley all ruined their careers due to cocaine. #12 John Williams ate himself out of a promising career. There were also tons of busts like #5 Kenny Walker, #9 Brad Sellers, and #13 Pearl Washington.

Of first rounders, only #1 Brad Daugherty ever made the All Star Game. Some other good picks were #4 Chuck Person, #8 Ron Harper, and #24 Arvydas Sabonis. Guys like #10 Johnny Dawkins, #11 John Salley, #15 Dell Curry, and #22 Scott Skiles had solid careers too.

The big shock was the second round which featured four All Stars, #25 Mark Price, #27 Dennis Rodman, #33 Kevin Duckworth, and #46 Jeff Hornacek. The second round also featured decent players like #28 Larry Krystkowiak, #29 Johnny Newman, #30 Nate McMillan, #44 David Wingate. Drazen Petrovic went #60 in the third round.

Last edited on Tue Mar 3rd, 2009 08:14 pm by tamalie

thunderbolt
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6205
Status: 
Offline
The first round of the 86 draft was by far the most talented and stupidest collection overall ever assembled.  Harper by far ended up having the best career of the first rounders.  Had Sabonis come stateside a few years earlier, he would have been a perenniel all star in the NBA; when he was 19 he was the best basketball player I ever saw in my life.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Bo Kimble

David Wingate

Walter Davis

Alvin Adams

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6875
Status: 
Offline
Darnell Hillman - best AFRO ever.  Not just in sports but ever.

 

Attachment: 76Darnell(120).jpg (Downloaded 37 times)

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Mike No Neck Brown
Tom Boerwinkel
Chet Walker
Bob Love
Wilbur Holland

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43338
Status: 
Offline
Mugsy Bogues.
Everyone in Toronto loved this guy when he played for the Raptors.

 



 

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13225
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Mugsy Bogues.
Everyone in Toronto loved this guy when he played for the Raptors.

 



 

Warrior fans loved him as well.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Andrew Toney  AKA " The Boston Strangler"

would've been a HOF player with his Feet didn't go on him.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6875
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Andrew Toney  AKA " The Boston Strangler"

would've been a HOF player with his Feet didn't go on him.

Harold Katz accused him of dogging it.  This was in the infancy of MRI's.  Finally, the University of Penn developed a machine that found the mutliple stress fractures in his feet.  Toney was awesome when healthy and played both ways.   The most underrated Sixer of all time.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6875
Status: 
Offline
Larry Brown in the ABA.   He is known for his fine attire now but it was not always that way:

Attachment: LarryBrownOveralls.jpg (Downloaded 9 times)



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems