WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Piper exagerating again?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Piper exagerating again?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 09:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1573
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Born Roderick George Toombs 57 years ago in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Piper broke into the wrestling profession during a time when rookies were treated harshly and the weak were quickly separated from the strong.

“The guys who broke Greg and myself in were the guys that were at the end of the Gorgeous George era,” explains Piper. “They were absolutely brutal. They were so cruel to me for the first four years of my career. But I understand it because they felt like they got cheated out of their main events because the business got exposed back then. They were 35, 37 years old, well into the business, with nowhere else to go. They had broken into the territories. And here comes a young kid with bagpipes. They told me to get out.”

Piper’s first pro match, as a 15-year-old, 167-pound amateur against veteran 300-pound heavyweight Larry “The Axe” Hennig, lasted all of 10 seconds. His second bout, a televised match against Superstar Billy Graham, “might have broken the 10-second rule,” he jokes.


So my question is. Did Winnipeg do their own TV tapings? Or did they use Vernes tapings? The only way this could be true with Piper and Graham would be at a TV taping in Winnepeg from what I am seeing. Anyone else ever hear of this TV match?

Last edited on Sun Jul 31st, 2011 09:47 pm by Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 10:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
BottomlessJack2



Joined: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008
Location: The Isle Of, Tonga
Posts: 1878
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'll let someone like Khawk verify or go more in depth on this, but in short, yes, Winnipeg had it's own AWA tapings, but I don't believe that was until like 1984... Before then, I think Winnipeg used the squash matches from the US version for the most part...



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
clawmaster
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48214
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Piper broke in for Tony Condello in Winnipeg during 1973. Came down a few times with the Winnipeg jobber crew to the AWA tapings in Minnesota during late 73 and early 74. I think he wrestled Flair in an AWA TV match on All Star Wrestling. He hit Kansas City and East Texas before getting his first break in Los Angeles. He became a big star in Portland. Then he went to Crockett. The rest is history.

Greg Oliver might know the most about Piper's training with Condello.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
sek69



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 5488
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Considering Larry Hennig had little patience for the youngin's, I wouldn't be surprised if Piper's story was more or less accurate.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 31st, 2011 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
clawmaster
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48214
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
For years Winnipeg had a secondary promotion that featuring guys like Bobby Jones, Frenchy Champaign, Stan Mykatowich aka Stan The Moose & Moose Morowski, Fred Puppy Dog Peloquin, Bob Tuck, Jake Banman, John Banman and a host of other guys including Bob Brown and even Piper. They ran weekly at the Madison something or other.

Vance Nevada would know a bunch about this promotion too. I'm sure AndyO and Vance have a ton of listings for it.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 56796
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Piper's been telling that Hennig story since the mid-'80s if not earlier.  As far as I remember based on research that people have done, the match happened as he says it did but he had been in the business for 1-2 years at that point.

Last edited on Mon Aug 1st, 2011 12:39 am by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 12:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1573
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thats why i am wondering. I know they met in Texas. But that wasnt till:

April 15, 1975 Dallas, TX
Superstar Billy Graham defeated Roddy Piper

Dallas wasnt the TV tapings. Ft Worth was. And they didnt meet in Ft Worth.

So im debating that it jsut might have happened in 1974

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 387
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
srossi wrote: Piper's been telling that Hennig story since the mid-'80s if not earlier.  As far as I remember based on research that people have done, the match happened as he says it did but he had been in the business for 1-2 years at that point.

Exactly. I called him on it once, and he just glared at me. He has basically chosen to ignore Tony Condello and Al Tomko (in whose gym he slept) being key figures in his early wrestling career/life in favor of bigger names.

That's fine, it's his right.

It's also my job as a historian/author to get the story right.

Here's the results page we have for him (which doesn't get updated, by the way)
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/ResultsArchive/Wrestlers/piper-roddy.html

The Hennig match definitely lasted longer than he talks about too:

[size="-0"](Winnipeg Free Press; April 27, 1974)
One of the shortest matches in Winnipeg history saw Larry “The Axe” Hennig dispose of Roddy Piper in just under two minutes. It was almost a matter of the bell ringing to start the fight and then immediately echoing back to end the match.



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, http://www.SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 02:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
the squared circle



Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8264
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Wow, never heard this story (from Slam...)

Wrestler Stabbed
(Syracuse Post-Standard; August 5, 1982)


RALEIGH, N.C. – Professional wrestler Roddy Piper was stabbed in the chest Tuesday night by a fan of another wrestler who had defeated Piper earlier in the evening, police said.
Piper, 31, who police said often plays the role of “bad guy” in the ring, was treated for the chest wound and a hand injury and released about 2 a.m., according to Wake County Medical Center officials.
William Isom, 43, or Hartsville, S.C., was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, police said.
Piper said a man confronted him in a stairwell at the Raleigh Civic Center and began shouting obscenities while slashing at him with a pocket knife and that he picked up a pipe to defend himself, police said.


 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 04:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12206
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
On topic, but about a year or two after the time frame of Piper's supposed "debut"
Here's a link to a great thread @ KM regarding Piper's run in The Maritime territory, 'Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling' in the Summer and Fall of 1975.
There is also a scan of a clipping from a Halifax newspaper from May 2003 hyping Monday's Raw and Tuesday's taping of SD there in which Piper is interviewed and he talks about his run there in 1975. Good read. Also Claw lists Piper's results that Vance Nevada compiled from that run.

http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=46714

Check it out!

*EDIT** Actually just going back and reading that newspaper article in that thread again Piper mentions the night Leo Burke challenged Jack Brisco for the NWA World Title.
(Here's the card...credit Vance Nevada via Claw)

10/28/75 Halifax, NS @ The Halifax Forum
Jack Brisco (NWA World) vs. Leo Burke (NA)
Beast & Rudy Kay vs. Bob Brown & Patriot
Gilles Poisson vs. Steve Bolus
Danny Warcloud vs. Bob Boucher
Bobby Bass vs. Herbert Gallant
Roddy Piper vs. Paul Peller

Piper's direct quote in that article which you can read yourself on that KM link is:
"Leo Burke (wrestled) against Jack Brisco in the Halifax arena. I wrestled Gene Kiniski. It was one of the first semi-main event matches I ever had."
Now if there was another Burke-Brisco main event in Halifax that I'm not aware of please correct me, but I see neither Gene Kiniski on that card, or Piper wrestling him 'nor anyone in the semi-main event. The guy he did wrestle 'Stompin' Paul Pellar was a local guy who stuck around the Martimes much of his career, although he did wrestle in Stampede and I'm sure T.O. and Montreal too in the Winters. He was sort of The Maritimes version of  the AWA's Jake 'The Milkman' Milliman. He did get a bit of a push in the late 80's when he turned face after being a heel for as long as I remember and doing a bit of a 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan gimmick by carrying a 2x4 around.

Last edited on Mon Aug 1st, 2011 04:49 am by carpetbeggar

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12206
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
the squared circle wrote: Wow, never heard this story (from Slam...)

Wrestler Stabbed
(Syracuse Post-Standard; August 5, 1982)


RALEIGH, N.C. – Professional wrestler Roddy Piper was stabbed in the chest Tuesday night by a fan of another wrestler who had defeated Piper earlier in the evening, police said.
Piper, 31, who police said often plays the role of “bad guy” in the ring, was treated for the chest wound and a hand injury and released about 2 a.m., according to Wake County Medical Center officials.
William Isom, 43, or Hartsville, S.C., was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, police said.
Piper said a man confronted him in a stairwell at the Raleigh Civic Center and began shouting obscenities while slashing at him with a pocket knife and that he picked up a pipe to defend himself, police said.


 

Wasn't that the time he has talked about in interviews and shoots and maybe even on his WWE DVD documentary that he was coming to the aid of some kids and got stabbed?
That was Piper who the "saving the wrestling fan kids from the guy with a knife" story was attributed too wasn't it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 04:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 56796
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
carpetbeggar wrote: the squared circle wrote: Wow, never heard this story (from Slam...)

Wrestler Stabbed
(Syracuse Post-Standard; August 5, 1982)


RALEIGH, N.C. – Professional wrestler Roddy Piper was stabbed in the chest Tuesday night by a fan of another wrestler who had defeated Piper earlier in the evening, police said.
Piper, 31, who police said often plays the role of “bad guy” in the ring, was treated for the chest wound and a hand injury and released about 2 a.m., according to Wake County Medical Center officials.
William Isom, 43, or Hartsville, S.C., was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, police said.
Piper said a man confronted him in a stairwell at the Raleigh Civic Center and began shouting obscenities while slashing at him with a pocket knife and that he picked up a pipe to defend himself, police said.


 

Wasn't that the time he has talked about in interviews and shoots and maybe even on his WWE DVD documentary that he was coming to the aid of some kids and got stabbed?
That was Piper who the "saving the wrestling fan kids from the guy with a knife" story was attributed too wasn't it?

Piper's talked about getting stabbed so many times I've lost track, but there's definitely more than one story that he's told over the years.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 1st, 2011 10:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2760
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
His autobiography is almost as hilariously lie-filled as Hogan's is.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Dec 30th, 2013 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
RockRims

 

Joined: Tue Jul 16th, 2013
Location:  
Posts: 58
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kudos on your approach to the Piper story about his debut Greg Oliver.  I know from my own experience talking to some of the retired workers, that they don't enjoy someone calling them on one of their often told stories if the facts indicate they aren't all that accurate LOL   :)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Dec 30th, 2013 06:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
BigJ



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: The Bottom Of Lake Millerton
Posts: 6932
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
clawmaster wrote: Piper broke in for Tony Condello in Winnipeg during 1973. Came down a few times with the Winnipeg jobber crew to the AWA tapings in Minnesota during late 73 and early 74. I think he wrestled Flair in an AWA TV match on All Star Wrestling. He hit Kansas City and East Texas before getting his first break in Los Angeles. He became a big star in Portland. Then he went to Crockett. The rest is history.

Greg Oliver might know the most about Piper's training with Condello.
Flair and Piper in 73??  That'd be awesome to see

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:21 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Piper exagerating again? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems