WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Hulk Hogan, the Fighting Irishman

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hulk Hogan, the Fighting Irishman  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 06:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5507
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The idea behind the name Hogan seems to have been to tap into the Irish demographic in New York.  After all, the WWWF had Sammartino, Morales, and Putski as faces for other something-Americans.
But Sammartino was Italian, Morales was Ricano, and so on.  Their ethnic backgrounds were a part of who they were.  The Hulkster though is about as Irish as sushi and always seems to have been the Hulkamania "brother" persona.
Was there ever anything at all about Hogan, bar the name, that had the slightest not towards having Irish heritage?  Did he ever mention St Paddy's Day or start off with green trunks or whatever?



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 07:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Qaenos

 

Joined: Tue Jan 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 1230
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I think Hogan mentioned in his book that Vince Sr wanted him to dye his hair red, but Hogan refused.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 08:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Who was Bruiser Brody for? The English-American fans?

Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2021 08:07 am by Kriss



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote: The idea behind the name Hogan seems to have been to tap into the Irish demographic in New York.  After all, the WWWF had Sammartino, Morales, and Putski as faces for other something-Americans.
But Sammartino was Italian, Morales was Ricano, and so on.  Their ethnic backgrounds were a part of who they were.  The Hulkster though is about as Irish as sushi and always seems to have been the Hulkamania "brother" persona.
Was there ever anything at all about Hogan, bar the name, that had the slightest not towards having Irish heritage?  Did he ever mention St Paddy's Day or start off with green trunks or whatever?

There was never much Irish about him, but the “brother” stuff started off as more of a post-hippie character that said “daddy” and sometimes wore tie-dye and goofy sunglasses, obviously like Superstar Billy Graham. That Hulkamania persona evolved over time, but didn’t change after 1984. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 04:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Wasn't Hogan a heel for his first run in WWF? Seems strange to give him the ethnic-friendly name then want the fans to boo him. Is it possible that the name was for a babyface character, but when they decided that he was going to be a heel, they kept the name, but didn't use the Irish gimmick? Having the alliterative name also worked well with the superhero/villain deal as The Incredible Hulk Hogan.

Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2021 04:32 pm by Kriss



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kriss wrote: Wasn't Hogan a heel for his first run in WWF? Seems strange to give him the ethnic-friendly name then want the fans to boo him. Is it possible that the name was for a babyface character, but when they decided that he was going to be a heel, they kept the name, but didn't use the Irish gimmick? Having the alliterative name also worked well with the superhero/villain deal as The Incredible Hulk Hogan.
I think the plan was always to turn him babyface. Vince Sr. had to see money in him. For some bizarre reason, he got a bug up his ass over the Rocky movie and completely missed the boat on seeing the opportunity there, and that ended the first run prematurely. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Sep 11th, 2021 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10787
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: Wasn't Hogan a heel for his first run in WWF? Seems strange to give him the ethnic-friendly name then want the fans to boo him. Is it possible that the name was for a babyface character, but when they decided that he was going to be a heel, they kept the name, but didn't use the Irish gimmick? Having the alliterative name also worked well with the superhero/villain deal as The Incredible Hulk Hogan.
I think the plan was always to turn him babyface. Vince Sr. had to see money in him. For some bizarre reason, he got a bug up his ass over the Rocky movie and completely missed the boat on seeing the opportunity there, and that ended the first run prematurely. 


I never thought there being a plan of him turning face.  That is interesting. I thought like Brody he was just another big heel signed and sealed as a heel with no plans of him turning into a face.  I would not think they would want to crowd Andre with another monster face. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:21 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Hulk Hogan, the Fighting Irishman Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems