WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > 401k investment strategies

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
401k investment strategies  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JB5



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1018
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My wife has finally convinced me to join my 401k at work. Does anyone have any investment strategies or funds they recommend?



____________________
Some people are born on third base but go through life thinking they hit a Triple- Barry Switzer.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Infamous
必 勝


Joined: Mon Oct 25th, 2010
Location: Slums Of Shaolin
Posts: 2643
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
This should be very interesting

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 01:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 3668
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It is going to depend upon the 401K plans being offered by the employer's plan. A lot of your investing strategy is going to depend upon your age (when you are younger, you can afford to take chances; when you get older, you will be more conservative).

My only advice is:

a) if the employer offers a 401K matching program, invest at least enough to qualify for the 401K match

b) if you can afford it, invest as much as you can (up to a maximum of $16,500, can be higher if you are over 50) in your 401K to reduce your tax bill at the end of the year since 401K contributions are taken from your paycheck pretax.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 02:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JB5



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1018
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Big Garea Fan wrote: It is going to depend upon the 401K plans being offered by the employer's plan. A lot of your investing strategy is going to depend upon your age (when you are younger, you can afford to take chances; when you get older, you will be more conservative).

My only advice is:

a) if the employer offers a 401K matching program, invest at least enough to qualify for the 401K match

b) if you can afford it, invest as much as you can (up to a maximum of $16,500, can be higher if you are over 50) in your 401K to reduce your tax bill at the end of the year since 401K contributions are taken from your paycheck pretax.


The plans are done through Principal.

My employee does match up to 3%. I was going to invest at least that, but possibly up to 5-7%



____________________
Some people are born on third base but go through life thinking they hit a Triple- Barry Switzer.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9996
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
JB5 wrote: Big Garea Fan wrote: It is going to depend upon the 401K plans being offered by the employer's plan. A lot of your investing strategy is going to depend upon your age (when you are younger, you can afford to take chances; when you get older, you will be more conservative).

My only advice is:

a) if the employer offers a 401K matching program, invest at least enough to qualify for the 401K match

b) if you can afford it, invest as much as you can (up to a maximum of $16,500, can be higher if you are over 50) in your 401K to reduce your tax bill at the end of the year since 401K contributions are taken from your paycheck pretax.


The plans are done through Principal.

My employee does match up to 3%. I was going to invest at least that, but possibly up to 5-7%

I second what BGF told you.  Also, before giving advice, I'd have to know a lot more about you and your plan.

*  What are Principal's choice options?  Usually, in 3rd party situations like this, you only get a limited selection to choose from.
*  How old are you?  How many years do you have until retirement?
*  How much to you have in retirement already?

A decent new retirement vehicle for the novice investor is lifecycle funds, which mirrors strategy BGF mentioned.



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 04:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JB5



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1018
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Here are some of the options I have with Principal.

International Equity
OppenheimerFunds Inc- ODMAF fund
Principal Global Investors- Diversified International Separate Account
Principal Global Investors/DFA- Interational SmallCap Separate Account

Small/Mid U.S. Equity
DFA/Vaughan Nelson/LA Capital- SmallCap Value II Separate Account
Goldman Sachs/LA Capital Management- MidCap Value 1 Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- MidCap Blend Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- MidCap S&P 400 Index Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- SmallCap S&P 600 Index Separate Account
Prudential Investments, LLC- Prudential Jennison Small Company A Fund
Turner/Mellon/Jacobs Levy- MidCap Growth III Separate Account

Large U.S. Equity
Capital Research & Management Co- American Funds Fundamental Investors R4 Fund
Edge Asset Management Inc- Equity Income Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- LargeCap S&P 500 Index Separate Account
T.Rowe Price/Brown Advisory- LargeCap Growth I Separate Account

Balanced Asset Allocation
Principle LifeTime Strategic Income Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2010 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2020 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2030 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2040 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2050 Separate Account
Stock Emphasis Balanced Separate Account

Fixed Income
PIMCO- Core Plus Bond I Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- Bond and Mortgage Separate Account
Principal Real Estate Investors- U.S. Property Separate Account

Short Term Fixed Income
Principal Global Investors- Money Market Separate Account
Guaranteed Interest Accound 5 year



____________________
Some people are born on third base but go through life thinking they hit a Triple- Barry Switzer.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 23rd, 2011 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9996
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
JB5 wrote: Here are some of the options I have with Principal.

International Equity
OppenheimerFunds Inc- ODMAF fund
Principal Global Investors- Diversified International Separate Account
Principal Global Investors/DFA- Interational SmallCap Separate Account

Small/Mid U.S. Equity
DFA/Vaughan Nelson/LA Capital- SmallCap Value II Separate Account
Goldman Sachs/LA Capital Management- MidCap Value 1 Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- MidCap Blend Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- MidCap S&P 400 Index Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- SmallCap S&P 600 Index Separate Account
Prudential Investments, LLC- Prudential Jennison Small Company A Fund
Turner/Mellon/Jacobs Levy- MidCap Growth III Separate Account

Large U.S. Equity
Capital Research & Management Co- American Funds Fundamental Investors R4 Fund
Edge Asset Management Inc- Equity Income Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- LargeCap S&P 500 Index Separate Account
T.Rowe Price/Brown Advisory- LargeCap Growth I Separate Account

Balanced Asset Allocation
Principle LifeTime Strategic Income Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2010 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2020 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2030 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2040 Separate Account
Principle LifeTime 2050 Separate Account
Stock Emphasis Balanced Separate Account

Fixed Income
PIMCO- Core Plus Bond I Separate Account
Principal Global Investors- Bond and Mortgage Separate Account
Principal Real Estate Investors- U.S. Property Separate Account

Short Term Fixed Income
Principal Global Investors- Money Market Separate Account
Guaranteed Interest Accound 5 year



I don't know too much about the Principal family of funds, but at a very high level glance, it looks like there's some decent choices.  How actively do you want to manage your investment choices?  Do you want to develop a strategy where you reweight your holdings periodically, or do you just want to pick something and forget about it?

It's tough to say with any level of precision what the "right" strategy is without knowing what your goals are, what your age is, what your level of risk is, and probably a dozen other questions specific to your plan.  Unfortunately, there really is no such thing as a cookie cutter "right" investment strategy; after all, if there was, everybody would be doing it, right?

My best suggestion to you is define your goals, decide what you want to get out of your retirement account, do a bit of research and choose accordingly.  Now, I'm not saying you have to become a a Certified Financial Analyst just to set up your 401k, but even at a very high research level, you should be able to pick some funds that most fit your needs.  If your feeling particularly ambitious, read some books (Jim Cramer, even though he's been proven to be somewhat of a dicey investment picker, has written some decent, easy to follow books that provides some interesting tips for the novice).  But at the very least, look at the funds offered, read the summaries, determine which ones are right for you and choose accordingly.

Last edited on Mon May 23rd, 2011 05:01 pm by dogfacedgremlin34



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 03:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
dr_papufnik

 

Joined: Tue Jul 28th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 255
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
If you're young enough to be doing equities, I've read that only about 25% of managed stock funds beat the S&P 500.  So doing the S&P 500 index fund (fund mirrors the S&P index) seems to make sense.  Right?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17806
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
JB5 wrote:
Big Garea Fan wrote: It is going to depend upon the 401K plans being offered by the employer's plan. A lot of your investing strategy is going to depend upon your age (when you are younger, you can afford to take chances; when you get older, you will be more conservative).

My only advice is:

a) if the employer offers a 401K matching program, invest at least enough to qualify for the 401K match

b) if you can afford it, invest as much as you can (up to a maximum of $16,500, can be higher if you are over 50) in your 401K to reduce your tax bill at the end of the year since 401K contributions are taken from your paycheck pretax.


The plans are done through Principal.




Getting advice from Principal Raditch is sound advice.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 05:34 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > 401k investment strategies Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems