WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
What Are You Reading?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 08:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
151st Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 56353
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Halfway through another classic, "The Age of Innocence".

Just started reading a really bizarre book that I stumbled upon at the library that will no doubt appeal to everyone's sensibility here.  "I Have Fun Everywhere I Go: Savage Tales of pot, Porn, Punk Rock, Pro Wrestling, Talking Apes, Evil Bosses, Dirty Blues, American Heroes, and the Most Notorious Magazines in the World" by Mike Edison. 

With a title like that, how could I not pick it up?  Anyone remember this Mike Edison guy?  He was the editor of "Wrestling's Main Event", one of the non-Apter mags of the mid-'80s, and then he went on to be editor for "High Times".  In between he somehow played drums in a punk band that opened for The Ramones, Sonic Youth, and Soundgarden, among others.  I'm only a few chapters in but there's some crazy stories in here.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
152nd Post
Chrisstlouis

 

Joined: Thu Jun 11th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2397
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Finished Pipers book, what a piece of shit

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
153rd Post
Road Warrior Yajuta



Joined: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010
Location: D'Iberville, Ms, USA
Posts: 4765
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marvel Classic What If Volume 5
Marvel Super Hero Team Up

Also been re-reading the Potter books. I am on The Half Blood Prince right now.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2012 08:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
154th Post
tystates



Joined: Sun May 18th, 2008
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 405
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Finished the latest George R.R. Martin Wild Cards novel "Fort Freak." Now I'm reading the novelization of DC comics' Countdown crossover by Greg Cox.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed May 30th, 2012 09:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
155th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Last 3:
Steven Tylers Autobiography-he's insane.

Ray Manzarek's Autiobiography-he tells a good story of the Doors and in particular hates Oliver Stone. He is WAY too descriptive of his early sexual escapades to the point I skipped to where he meets Morrison.

Keith Richards Autobiography-"Life: So far, very good. I'm at about page 130 and they are just hitting it big. Very cool fact was the Beatles gave the Stones their first song "I Wanna Be Your Man" but it was recorded and made a hit by Maryanne Faithfull first.
Other facts:
-they and the Beatles were tight and would call each other to space out their upcoming singles
-they were not inclined to write songs until their manager forced Keith & Mick into a kitchen one night and wouldn't let them out until. They walked out with "As Tears Go By".
-Brian Jones could not write songs.

More to come...........



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2012 09:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
156th Post
Count Grog
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15707
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dick Beyers book



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2012 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
157th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12192
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm on the fourth book of Bernard Cornwell's "Richard Sharpe" novels. I got into them a couple months ago and like I said I am now on the 4th in the series of I think 21 as of now called "Sharpe's Trafalgar."
This is from the same author of the book "The Fort" which I reccommended in this thread a few months ago.
Some may be familiar with the Richard Sharpe character from the the series of movies the BBC(I believe) made in the 90's and were shown here in North America on PBS. It is great historical fiction about Sharpe's rise through the British Army and the battles they had in India and Europe in the early 1800's. Great reading.

I'm also ready to start the second book in the trilogy of horror novels written in the last couple years by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. The first book was released in '09 I believe and the third just came out I believe at the end of '11. It is a story about a virus plague which turns people into vampires that starts in Manhattan and quickly spreads around the world. It follows a doctor and his assistant from the CDC who team up with a NYC rat catcher and a old man who owns a pawn shop and has vast knowledge on the vampires and how the virus spreads after first encountering them when he was a prisoner in the concentration camps of WWII.
Really great reading so far and as I said I'm starting the second volume tonight.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2012 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
158th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 56353
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: Just started reading a really bizarre book that I stumbled upon at the library that will no doubt appeal to everyone's sensibility here.  "I Have Fun Everywhere I Go: Savage Tales of pot, Porn, Punk Rock, Pro Wrestling, Talking Apes, Evil Bosses, Dirty Blues, American Heroes, and the Most Notorious Magazines in the World" by Mike Edison. 

With a title like that, how could I not pick it up?  Anyone remember this Mike Edison guy?  He was the editor of "Wrestling's Main Event", one of the non-Apter mags of the mid-'80s, and then he went on to be editor for "High Times".  In between he somehow played drums in a punk band that opened for The Ramones, Sonic Youth, and Soundgarden, among others.  I'm only a few chapters in but there's some crazy stories in here.

Just finished this book yesterday and for the handful who have taken book recommendations from me before, trust me, this is one you will enjoy.  If GG Allin and Al Goldstein stories, mixd with a healthy dose of toking up with Rob Van Dam after ECW shows, are your idea of a good time, you'll want to check this out.  And it's actually a really well-written book with polysyllabic words and everything, something hard to come by when reading about porn, punk, pot, and wrestling.

Last edited on Thu Jun 7th, 2012 02:20 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jun 12th, 2012 03:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
159th Post
BlueThunder

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The China Study. It's truly an interesting book if one is interested in the subject of cancer prevention. It's a rather easy read with some good graphs.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jun 17th, 2012 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
160th Post
katook



Joined: Tue Sep 21st, 2010
Location: In A Trailerpark Filled With Rednecks, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3386
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
just finished a very good novel, EXILE, by Richard North Patterson that deal with an accused mastermind of a suicide bombing involving the Palestinians and Isreal and the United States, and the jewish lawyer assigned to defend the accused.

Patterson's books are fiction but are pageturners that are hard to put down, you want to keep reading just to see what happens next, even if it is 3 AM and you have to work the next day.



____________________
since there doesn't seem to be a way to be vocal about being an Atheist without coming across as a condescending cock opening about it, you might as well go all the way with it.--Sek69
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2012 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
161st Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12192
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: srossi wrote: Just started reading a really bizarre book that I stumbled upon at the library that will no doubt appeal to everyone's sensibility here.  "I Have Fun Everywhere I Go: Savage Tales of pot, Porn, Punk Rock, Pro Wrestling, Talking Apes, Evil Bosses, Dirty Blues, American Heroes, and the Most Notorious Magazines in the World" by Mike Edison. 

With a title like that, how could I not pick it up?  Anyone remember this Mike Edison guy?  He was the editor of "Wrestling's Main Event", one of the non-Apter mags of the mid-'80s, and then he went on to be editor for "High Times".  In between he somehow played drums in a punk band that opened for The Ramones, Sonic Youth, and Soundgarden, among others.  I'm only a few chapters in but there's some crazy stories in here.

Just finished this book yesterday and for the handful who have taken book recommendations from me before, trust me, this is one you will enjoy.  If GG Allin and Al Goldstein stories, mixd with a healthy dose of toking up with Rob Van Dam after ECW shows, are your idea of a good time, you'll want to check this out.  And it's actually a really well-written book with polysyllabic words and everything, something hard to come by when reading about porn, punk, pot, and wrestling.

This book is definitely right up my alley(besides the pot smoking) and I'm totally intrigued now. Thanks for the heads up about this book Rossi.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2012 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
162nd Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17609
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Just started reading the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe books, currently on the second book now(Restaurant at the end of the Universe)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2012 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
163rd Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 56353
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
mike3775 wrote: Just started reading the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe books, currently on the second book now(Restaurant at the end of the Universe)

These are great books, read them all a number of years ago.

Right now I'm halfway through "The Ascent of George Washington", which is pretty fascinating and will make you think differently about him, for better and worse.  I also just started "Hunted Down: The Detective Stories of Charles Dickens", which should be a fun read.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2012 06:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
164th Post
Road Warrior Yajuta



Joined: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010
Location: D'Iberville, Ms, USA
Posts: 4765
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Essential Wolverine Volume 3
The Many Armors of Iron Man
Classic What If? Volume 2



Books a million has a crazy deal where they have many TPB for $5.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jun 26th, 2012 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
165th Post
thunderbolt
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6188
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Just bought and am reading a book called "Corpus Juris Humorous" which isn't so much a work of authorship, but a collection of reported appellate court rulings which, mostly because of the absurdity of the subjects or  the issues presented by 'esteemed' counsel, are inherently funny.   May be a vanity press thing, but I find myself laughing regularly.



____________________
The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic. ~ HL Mencken
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 12:10 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > What Are You Reading? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems