WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Mice  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 13th, 2020 06:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 8472
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tamalie wrote: Are the neighbors allowed to have a compost pile? Most places have some basic laws about keeping up property and not allowing garbage to accumulate. I realize there are ramifications for having bad relationships with the neighbors, but could you potentially ask the city to step in and make them clear it out, pointing out the pest issue?

It's not quite the same thing, but a number of years ago I had some neighbors a few doors down from a former residence who set up for a yard sale, had a huge downpour of rain come and drench everything, and then left the now ruined stuff they wanted to sell in their front yard for the next couple of weeks. I finally called the city to report them and within a week all that junk was cleared out. The key was they didn't know I was the guy who reported them. This situation doesn't sound like it would be as easy to get around that, if the compost pile can even be stopped.

This. I would check the bylaws of your area about whether the are allowed a pile of if it must be in a bin where it can be better controlled. Plus some of the things they are throwing on the pile will naturally attract rodents. And they themselves must also have a rodent problem.
And if the guy is 82 he'll fire off a cap gun in the yard or something, giving him a heart attack and sending him on his merry fucking way to the hereafter. Place get sold, compost pile goes away. Hopefully.
Outside is bad enough but if they are getting inside are you able to do or have done by a pro a perimeter search of the outside of your house to see where they are getting in and get that sealed off.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8280
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Around the time I made the original post last year, we were smelling something odd in the new car we bought in March. So, wife and kid were complaining about the smell all summer, and it seemed to get worse as it got warmer, but we were hardly ever in the car, so it was out of sight, out of mind. We had those Febreeze things you can clip to the vents. I sprayed Lysol into the outside air intakes, changed the cabin filter, and the smell kinda went away. Kinda. Fast forward to last week, started to warm up around here, smell is back. Paid for this new car, and it's like we dread even getting inside of it. So, my emotions are partly frustration, partly anger. I finally called the dealer to set up an appointment and get the first oil change (we only put 2,500 miles on the car last year). As I suspected, they found a "rodent nest" somewhere in the motor blower or under the dash. $575 to take everything apart and clean this shit up, and two days without a car. I suspect mice came from next door, part of the same gang that I killed about 30 of last year (which means there's probably 300), and slipped through the gaps between the overhead door and frame of the garage. I mean, it's closed off, but it's not air tight.

Also, 82 year old Bernie Sanders next door threw one of the ziplock bags with dead mice back OVER my fence into my backyard. I noticed this when the snow melted last week.

Wife is trying to calm me down and telling me kicking a senior citizens' ass isn't worth losing my job or the family shame.


Sorry. Had to vent over this. We had a big discussion about getting the kid a new gaming computer for Christmas, and almost didn't make that purchase because it was too much(and he definitely deserves it), and then we end up spending all of this money on stupid stuff that should never happen because people are jerks. These people next door would laugh out loud if they knew this happened.


There is a *slight* chance that the rodent's nest was already in the car when we bought it. We honestly didn't start smelling the smell until about two weeks after quarantine started, and I think the chances that the dealer or Honda is going to eat the cost of this are somewhere between zero and none.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8280
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Angelic Assassin wrote: tamalie wrote: Are the neighbors allowed to have a compost pile? Most places have some basic laws about keeping up property and not allowing garbage to accumulate. I realize there are ramifications for having bad relationships with the neighbors, but could you potentially ask the city to step in and make them clear it out, pointing out the pest issue?

It's not quite the same thing, but a number of years ago I had some neighbors a few doors down from a former residence who set up for a yard sale, had a huge downpour of rain come and drench everything, and then left the now ruined stuff they wanted to sell in their front yard for the next couple of weeks. I finally called the city to report them and within a week all that junk was cleared out. The key was they didn't know I was the guy who reported them. This situation doesn't sound like it would be as easy to get around that, if the compost pile can even be stopped.

This. I would check the bylaws of your area about whether the are allowed a pile of if it must be in a bin where it can be better controlled. Plus some of the things they are throwing on the pile will naturally attract rodents. And they themselves must also have a rodent problem.
And if the guy is 82 he'll fire off a cap gun in the yard or something, giving him a heart attack and sending him on his merry fucking way to the hereafter. Place get sold, compost pile goes away. Hopefully.
Outside is bad enough but if they are getting inside are you able to do or have done by a pro a perimeter search of the outside of your house to see where they are getting in and get that sealed off.

Fortunately, I believe I sealed off their entrance into the living quarters of the house.  We have an old house (like, 110 years old), so we have the classic cellar door with exterior steps that lead down to it with a wood door blocking that off at the surface.  I was setting up traps at the top step, killing a couple of week, basically whenever I added peanut butter and reset the traps.




____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 01:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 7411
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Hate to tell you but the mice will find your car again. I rode around with mouse traps on the passenger floor of my car for 2 years. They would crawl up through the tubes that let fresh air in and work their way into behind the dashboard. It was easy when they got in the air filter, not so much when they were between the back of the engine compartment and in the dash or where the blower motor is. Also - if you can do little things on your own, your blower motor should be right behind the glove compartment and only has a couple screws holding it in - you can take it out and clean inside of it, I did. The cabin air filter is close by too, if they get in, that will need to be changed. Good luck with the fucking mice. I wanted to kill the ones in my shed in 2006, but my kids and wife kept up the “don’t kill Mickey” routine. Now my shed is infested, simply because they keep coming back even after I kill them off, it’s like they smell the place and feel welcome.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 01:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8280
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Superstar wrote: Hate to tell you but the mice will find your car again. I rode around with mouse traps on the passenger floor of my car for 2 years. They would crawl up through the tubes that let fresh air in and work their way into behind the dashboard. It was easy when they got in the air filter, not so much when they were between the back of the engine compartment and in the dash or where the blower motor is. Also - if you can do little things on your own, your blower motor should be right behind the glove compartment and only has a couple screws holding it in - you can take it out and clean inside of it, I did. The cabin air filter is close by too, if they get in, that will need to be changed. Good luck with the fucking mice. I wanted to kill the ones in my shed in 2006, but my kids and wife kept up the “don’t kill Mickey” routine. Now my shed is infested, simply because they keep coming back even after I kill them off, it’s like they smell the place and feel welcome.
Well, that's great news.  We've been at this house for 15 years, never had the issue with mice in the car like this.  I was reading something about Honda using soybean oil in the wire coatings inside the car.
I'll have to be ultra-vigilant about not letting any food be left in the car overnight, and I might just go ultra booby-trap around the garage with poison and traps.  



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 02:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10772
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: Superstar wrote: Hate to tell you but the mice will find your car again. I rode around with mouse traps on the passenger floor of my car for 2 years. They would crawl up through the tubes that let fresh air in and work their way into behind the dashboard. It was easy when they got in the air filter, not so much when they were between the back of the engine compartment and in the dash or where the blower motor is. Also - if you can do little things on your own, your blower motor should be right behind the glove compartment and only has a couple screws holding it in - you can take it out and clean inside of it, I did. The cabin air filter is close by too, if they get in, that will need to be changed. Good luck with the fucking mice. I wanted to kill the ones in my shed in 2006, but my kids and wife kept up the “don’t kill Mickey” routine. Now my shed is infested, simply because they keep coming back even after I kill them off, it’s like they smell the place and feel welcome.
Well, that's great news.  We've been at this house for 15 years, never had the issue with mice in the car like this.  I was reading something about Honda using soybean oil in the wire coatings inside the car.
I'll have to be ultra-vigilant about not letting any food be left in the car overnight, and I might just go ultra booby-trap around the garage with poison and traps.  


My dad feeds deer and often transports corn in his car.  He'd get mice, so he started putting mint in his car.  It smells good & supposedly repels mice.  It worked for him.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10772
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I see I gave you that mint advice earlier.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 6294
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I also put this on the Video Vault thread about the World Class Triple Tower of Doom.     

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 03:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 6294
Status: 
Online
Mana: 







I actually like this version for effectiveness.  Except the part about options to leave out the water and face a bucket of live mice in the morning.



Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 03:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8280
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I’m going to try the mint and some dryer sheets to start. Loving the rolling bucket trap OFG posted.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2021 11:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
glc

 

Joined: Sat Mar 5th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 97
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Not that this is helpful, in any way, shape or form, but I'm surprised the mice haven't attracted snakes

Last edited on Tue Mar 16th, 2021 11:57 am by glc

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:30 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Mice Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems