WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Nobody Wants To Work Anymore

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Nobody Wants To Work Anymore  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 01:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50225
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Whats your theory on why this has happened?

Are you sticking to the original theory of 'the pandemic and over-stimulus'?

Or is there more to it at this point?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 01:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10649
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
More to it.

Pandemic still playing a part with uncertainty about the virus.

Most extended UC benefits have ended. Stimulus and banked UC only have so much of a shelf life for people paying bills.

I also think people want a living wage.

Several dynamics are involved here. I do not think it is just one issue.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 05:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Big Garea Fan
MR BASKETBALL
 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4417
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I think that a lot of people decided to take retirements earlier than they had planned due to the pandemic, vaccine requirements, etc. This opened up a lot of job opportunities that wouldn't have been available otherwise. Many employers were unable to find qualified job candidates so they had to lower the qualifications to attract applicants. The newly qualified job candidates were able to get better positions / salaries so they left the "bad jobs" that they previously held. The "bad jobs" are struggling to attract workers due to the new expectation that everyone should get at least $15 per hour. This is also causing experienced workers who are barely making above $15 per hour to seek out new jobs since they view it as unfair that new employees with no experience are able to get salaries almost equal to theirs even though they have more experience. They want a pay bump too or else they walk.

Other possible ideas are:
Maybe COVID has increased the number of people unable to work due to "long COVID"?
Currently, approximately 850,000 deaths in the United States have been blamed on COVID. Could a large number of these deaths have been of people in the workforce?
Do some states still have unemployment benefits in place pay better than actually working?

For young people entering the workforce, this could be a great time to build up savings. I am hopeful that this situation is still in place when my son turns 14 and is eligible to work a part-time job. At $15 per hour for about 20 hours per week and while still living at home, he should be able to amass a decent amount of savings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Big Garea Fan
MR BASKETBALL
 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4417
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Big Garea Fan wrote: I think that a lot of people decided to take retirements earlier than they had planned due to the pandemic, vaccine requirements, etc. This opened up a lot of job opportunities that wouldn't have been available otherwise. Many employers were unable to find qualified job candidates so they had to lower the qualifications to attract applicants. The newly qualified job candidates were able to get better positions / salaries so they left the "bad jobs" that they previously held. The "bad jobs" are struggling to attract workers due to the new expectation that everyone should get at least $15 per hour. This is also causing experienced workers who are barely making above $15 per hour to seek out new jobs since they view it as unfair that new employees with no experience are able to get salaries almost equal to theirs even though they have more experience. They want a pay bump too or else they walk.

Other possible ideas are:
Maybe COVID has increased the number of people unable to work due to "long COVID"?
Currently, approximately 850,000 deaths in the United States have been blamed on COVID. Could a large number of these deaths have been of people in the workforce?
Do some states still have unemployment benefits in place pay better than actually working?

For young people entering the workforce, this could be a great time to build up savings. I am hopeful that this situation is still in place when my son turns 14 and is eligible to work a part-time job. At $15 per hour for about 20 hours per week and while still living at home, he should be able to amass a decent amount of savings. It sure beats the $80 per month that I made from my newspaper route and the $100 per weekend that I made as a busboy back in the mid-1980s

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10649
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I am not saying it is right or wrong, but isn’t the whole idea of drastically increasing the entry-level wage is to push a big boost across the table?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50225
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Let me add this to the mix. I am thinking there are other situations similar to this.

In PA, minimum wage is $7.25

Next state over, New Jersey, $13 an hour


Is this a factor?

I do think part of it was the stimulus added to the unemployment and now people want more for their time, energy and effort.  Being at home paid better than working. So now they want more. I don't blame them.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 15th, 2022 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5391
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I think this is a knock-on effect of the 2008 crash. For a few years afterwards people thought there would be a reckoning and a re-setting. And it hasn't happened. The same people who fucked up then are still in charge now - and making coin on the work of those who bear the brunt of every downturn.

I've seen the change in my own working lifetime. When I started in the late nineties there was a sort of employer culture ethos, in that the partners wanted to get out early and bring on the younger staff. But the group between me and the partners basically decided, no, we're going to take control and never let go. They're still there now.

And now we see the reaction every time there is a problem is to sack the workers rather than sack off the bonuses. It's worse now than in the last 50 years. Therefore people are voting with their feet.

Add to that welfare. Right now the younger generations are working to pay for the pensions for the older generations; pensions that are no longer available to current workers; and to older generations that, in many places, have more or less won the lottery, by getting property when it was cheap and now sitting on massive piles of property cash - while the younger workers cannot afford it.

The system is getting more and more bodged just to keep it going. The biggest problem? The restrictions on smoking. 30 years ago an entire generation was dying at 65, having paid their stamp all their lives, and dying before they needed to draw on it. As well as contributing to the exchequer via taxes. Now people are stopping smoking, they're living longer and paying less tax. Bad move.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 12:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5707
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
When your boss can fly William Shatner into space on a whim, and could give every single employee in the company a $50,000 gift while still having 10s of billions of dollars left over, it’s hard to give a fuck.



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5707
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And, capitalists always love a “free market” until it works against them. Supply and demand and all that. Pay some one to work and they’ll show up.



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5707
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And, I don’t want to hear “well what about small business owners?” No one told you to start a business with the hope that motherfuckers would be willing to starve for you.  



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5646
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: And, capitalists always love a “free market” until it works against them. Supply and demand and all that. Pay some one to work and they’ll show up.

A lot of industries will pay in the short term, but it will speed up automation because some things are only worth so much and it will be "automate or go out of business". 

I think as a nation we got sloppy and expected things to be way too accessible and I think when we come out of this, we are going to see a lot less fast-food options, 24hr stores and slower amazon turnaround time amongst other things. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10649
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Franchise wrote: gwlee7 wrote: And, capitalists always love a “free market” until it works against them. Supply and demand and all that. Pay some one to work and they’ll show up.

A lot of industries will pay in the short term, but it will speed up automation because some things are only worth so much and it will be "automate or go out of business". 

I think as a nation we got sloppy and expected things to be way too accessible and I think when we come out of this, we are going to see a lot less fast-food options, 24hr stores and slower amazon turnaround time amongst other things. 


Do you really think that about slower turnaround times?  I see that as a competition point in the market. I see that actually improving. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 01:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5646
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
kargol wrote: Right now the younger generations are working to pay for the pensions for the older generations; pensions that are no longer available to current workers; and to older generations that, in many places, have more or less won the lottery, by getting property when it was cheap and now sitting on massive piles of property cash - while the younger workers cannot afford it.


Some of these 2-tiered systems that have popped up in the union world are pretty brutal especially considering the pension and early retirement were the selling point to a lot of people to put up with the crap hours and back breaking labor. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10649
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: And, capitalists always love a “free market” until it works against them. Supply and demand and all that. Pay some one to work and they’ll show up.

THIS IS TODAY’S WEALTH OF WISDOM POST!    Slam dunk and dropped mic. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 16th, 2022 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5646
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Papa Voo wrote: Franchise wrote: gwlee7 wrote: And, capitalists always love a “free market” until it works against them. Supply and demand and all that. Pay some one to work and they’ll show up.

A lot of industries will pay in the short term, but it will speed up automation because some things are only worth so much and it will be "automate or go out of business". 

I think as a nation we got sloppy and expected things to be way too accessible and I think when we come out of this, we are going to see a lot less fast-food options, 24hr stores and slower amazon turnaround time amongst other things. 


Do you really think that about slower turnaround times?  I see that as a competition point in the market. I see that actually improving. 



I'm seeing more and more delays with Amazon, USPS & UPS post-Christmas then I ever have before.

These companies can only pay so much to drivers, sorters and loaders before it becomes cheaper to push it a day. It's not like we the end user can bill the delivery service because our most recent purchase was delivered a day late.  



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 02:34 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Nobody Wants To Work Anymore Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems