WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Terms People Use That You Would Rather They Didn't

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50237
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The next guy to call me buddy, pal, big guy, bro or chief is gonna get it.

Have your cake and eat it too - um, okay what else should I do with it?


JB5



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1019
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It's all good

Count Grog
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15704
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: The next guy to call me buddy, pal, big guy, bro or chief is gonna get it.

Have your cake and eat it too - um, okay what else should I do with it?




how about Pally can we call you that?

I am not a fan of white people using rap expressions.  I know its cool to be multicultural and such but you sound stupid

DaNkinator



Joined: Tue Oct 23rd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 6072
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: The next guy to call me buddy, pal, big guy, bro or chief is gonna get it.

Have your cake and eat it too - um, okay what else should I do with it?



"I'm not your buddy, Friend".

"I'm not your friend, Guy"

"I'm not your guy, buddy!"



I hate the cake quote too...for exactly the same reason.

I hate also when people screw up the "Couldn't care any less..." by saying "I could care less..."

Then care less....I don't give a shit. 

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47117
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"It is what it is". Pro athletes use it a lot.
Use of the word 'like" in every sentence.

PeteF3

 

Joined: Thu Dec 6th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1474
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Somehow the cake thing got corrupted over time.  The proper phrase is "eat your cake and have it, too" which makes more sense.

"It is what it is" needs to go away.

Absolutely no one in this country knows what "irony" means anymore.  This is particularly prevalent among sportscasters who describe any weird circumstance as "ironic."  Irony is not the same thing as coincidence, either.

Ditto on "could care less."

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50237
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
my bad

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9985
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
lobo316 wrote: "It is what it is". Pro athletes use it a lot.

YES!

PeteF3 wrote:
Absolutely no one in this country knows what "irony" means anymore.  This is particularly prevalent among sportscasters who describe any weird circumstance as "ironic."  Irony is not the same thing as coincidence, either.


YES!!!

It's absolutely maddening to hear folks misuse this.  Usually they're using it as a substitue for "coincidentally" or something like that.  9 times out of 10, if you hear the term "ironically" bandied about, it's not ironic.  At all.  See Morissette, Alanis for further discussion on this topic.

As far as annoying terms as I see it, any variation of "That being said", "That said", "Having said that" etc., when used to tie two thoughts together, could go away tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it at all. 

Last edited on Mon Aug 30th, 2010 01:57 pm by dogfacedgremlin34

whatever



Joined: Wed May 21st, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 983
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"Irregardless"

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 60552
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
If we're talking about expressions that don't make sense, "You made your bed, now lie in it" is right up there.  To express the sentiment they're going for, I think it should be "You laid in your bed, now make it".

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50237
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
circle back with me in a couple week Srossi

Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 10650
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Git-R-Done

 



"At the end of the day,..."

Last edited on Mon Aug 30th, 2010 02:42 pm by Papa Voo

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47117
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
happy camper

khawk
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19046
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"Obviously", used by 99% of pro hockey players answering any question from any media.

Also the phrase "talking point", used liberally on some interweb forums, is old. I could do without ever reading it again.

 

Last edited on Mon Aug 30th, 2010 03:08 pm by khawk

amerorig



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Fresno, California USA
Posts: 2995
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Papa Voo wrote:

 
"At the end of the day,..."



Came here to say THIS!!!

amerorig



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Fresno, California USA
Posts: 2995
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"My Thing Is....."

The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11024
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Literally...when it's figuratively. People also seem to think it means extremely. I'm not sure when this started happening, but it pisses me off.

Middle school kids are using "random" incorrectly a lot now thanks to iCarly and Sunny With a Chance. They seem to think it means strange.

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 60552
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Literally...when it's figuratively. People also seem to think it means extremely. I'm not sure when this started happening, but it pisses me off.

Literal Championship Wrestling.  Goodbye lawsuits, hello great new name.

DevilsMoJo



Joined: Fri Feb 26th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 132
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"Close of play" in relation to work

pjstef



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2199
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:

It's absolutely maddening to hear folks misuse this.  Usually they're using it as a substitue for "coincidentally" or something like that.  9 times out of 10, if you hear the term "ironically" bandied about, it's not ironic.  At all.  See Morissette, Alanis for further discussion on this topic.
 

Athletes, sports analysts and many celebs also misuse "surreal" for anything that they found to be "unreal" or simply difficult to believe.

Last edited on Mon Aug 30th, 2010 04:46 pm by pjstef

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9985
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Middle school kids are using "random" incorrectly a lot now thanks to iCarly

Completely off topic, but is there any show marketed as being a kids' show that is actually detrimental to kids more than "iCarly".  There's absolutely nothing redeeming about that piece of shit program.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 50237
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
..... from "soup to nuts"

HUH?

DaNkinator



Joined: Tue Oct 23rd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 6072
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I could probably google "iCarly".  But I'm too lazy....what is that?

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9985
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
DaNkinator wrote: I could probably google "iCarly".  But I'm too lazy....what is that?

Nickelodian Kids show that consists of a bunch of wise ass, nearly feral kids and dopey/bumbling/evil adults getting up to various shenanigans.  I'm not kidding when I say this show has absolutely no redeeming qualities, be it for kids or otherwise.  It makes "You Can't Do that on Television" look like "Sesame Street".

Last edited on Mon Aug 30th, 2010 05:52 pm by dogfacedgremlin34

DaNkinator



Joined: Tue Oct 23rd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 6072
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Gotcha.  I thought it was some iPhone app.  :D

And I completely agree with whomever mentioned "surreal".  I had to correct my 18 19 year old niece on that one recently. 

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47117
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"get-go". So many people use the the phrase 'from the get-go".

victhestick



Joined: Mon Apr 27th, 2009
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 2492
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"That's how I roll".  Your gonna roll down a hill after I crack your skull with a bat.

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47117
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
victhestick wrote: "That's how I roll".  Your gonna roll down a hill after I crack your skull with a bat.

 

So, you're not a peep :)

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 15151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I hate when people put "ish" at the end of a word.

What time is it? Its  five-ish.:X

wittman2

 

Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 917
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"I know, right"


No, you do NOT know

Mick



Joined: Thu Nov 8th, 2007
Location: Wichita, Kansas USA
Posts: 666
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
lobo316 wrote:
"It is what it is"

YES

The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11024
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
wittman2 wrote:
"I know, right"


No, you do NOT know


That may be another iCarlyism. That's where I heard it first, and now every kid on the planet says it.

victhestick



Joined: Mon Apr 27th, 2009
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 2492
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"You know what I'm saying?" Listen to any interview with a rapper and you'll hear this 10-15 times in a minute long interview.

stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Prolly

I Aint mad @ ya

You know(every other word)

Yep yep

Holmes/dog/G/Pimp/Playa/Fool

Bling

jurry(wtf are you trying to say, Jewelry? than just say it).

Diva(every fucking woman now is a Diva)

Aint no bout a doubt it....just stop, please!!!!

Last edited on Tue Aug 31st, 2010 04:27 am by stingmark

stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
victhestick wrote: "You know what I'm saying?" Listen to any interview with a rapper and you'll hear this 10-15 times in a minute long interview.
Most athletes say it every other word....I just want to smack them. No, we dont know..thats why we're asking fuckface.

freebirdsforever2001

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Peace Out Homie.
anytime a wanna be White Boy tries to talk " street" .

Last edited on Tue Aug 31st, 2010 05:39 am by

clawmaster
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48214
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Count Grog wrote: beejmi wrote: The next guy to call me buddy, pal, big guy, bro or chief is gonna get it.

Have your cake and eat it too - um, okay what else should I do with it?




how about Pally can we call you that?


That was one of my dad's expressions. One of his friends would call on the phone and he would say how are you doing Pally.

gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5710
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"Reverse Psychology"...   I have never liked the use of this term.  How the hell are you going to use reverse psychology on someone?  Hold a mirror up to them?

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 60552
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: Middle school kids are using "random" incorrectly a lot now thanks to iCarly

Completely off topic, but is there any show marketed as being a kids' show that is actually detrimental to kids more than "iCarly".  There's absolutely nothing redeeming about that piece of shit program.

I'm hopelessly out of the loop on tween TV I guess (thank God).  What the hell is this iCarly thing?  And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 

Last edited on Tue Aug 31st, 2010 02:02 pm by srossi

stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Also, 'He plays the ame the right way" as opposed to what, the wrong way? If he played the game the wrong way, he wouldn't be playing it would he?

khawk
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19046
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 
Got a few years to go before this happens, I think...

cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3566
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And I quote....

Portalesman
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 7872
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm taking notes here.  Notes and names.

tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6678
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"trine ta"
"innit?"
"de debbil Kevin Sullivan"
"Tinnosea"
"So long from the Sunshine State"

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6898
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I didn't read the thread at all but did anyone mention the overuse of the phrase, "at the end of the day"?

One of my salesmen used that term 12 times in a presentation 1 time.   I told him I would give him a $100 if he could go an entire presentation without saying it once.  Nothing else mattered.

He couldn't do it.

 

 

The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11024
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
khawk wrote: srossi wrote: And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 
Got a few years to go before this happens, I think...

She's probably 16 or so.  She and some friends do a web show, and teen aged hilarity ensues...blah blah blah.

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47117
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Ultimark wrote: I didn't read the thread at all but did anyone mention the overuse of the phrase, "at the end of the day"?

One of my salesmen used that term 12 times in a presentation 1 time.   I told him I would give him a $100 if he could go an entire presentation without saying it once.  Nothing else mattered.

He couldn't do it.

 

 


 

Ditto. Another phrase that gets over used.........."the fact of the matter is".

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 60552
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: khawk wrote: srossi wrote: And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 
Got a few years to go before this happens, I think...

She's probably 16 or so.  She and some friends do a web show, and teen aged hilarity ensues...blah blah blah.

So she's already experienced with web cams.  Sounds like she has potential.

Last edited on Thu Sep 2nd, 2010 03:04 pm by srossi

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 9985
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: khawk wrote: srossi wrote: And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 
Got a few years to go before this happens, I think...

She's probably 16 or so.  She and some friends do a web show, and teen aged hilarity ensues...blah blah blah.

So she's already experienced with web cams.  Sounds like she has potential.

My dad is creeped out by that show, and especially by iCarly herself.  He's convinced she's nothing more that a miniaturized version of Jeanne Tripplehorn, which isn't too far from the truth.  See for yourself:



Ms. Tripplehorn



Ms. Carly

Not too far off...creepy show, creepy 16 year old.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6898
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: khawk wrote: srossi wrote: And more importanly when is she legal so we we can start anticipating the sex video of her eating out Hannah Montana? 
Got a few years to go before this happens, I think...

She's probably 16 or so.  She and some friends do a web show, and teen aged hilarity ensues...blah blah blah.

So she's already experienced with web cams.  Sounds like she has potential.

My dad is creeped out by that show, and especially by iCarly herself.  He's convinced she's nothing more that a miniaturized version of Jeanne Tripplehorn, which isn't too far from the truth.  See for yourself:



Ms. Tripplehorn



Ms. Carly

Not too far off...creepy show, creepy 16 year old.

That pic of Tripplehorn has got to be at least 5 years old.  She is not that hot anymore. 

thunderbolt
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6177
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.

stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thunderbolt wrote: Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.

Or, 'No offense"...you know...you're about to hear something possibly offensive..

clawmaster
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48214
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thunderbolt wrote: Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.


Yep I pulled out the with all due respect line in response to Jason Hart, Gary's son, on KM. Had to break it to him that Kerry and Fritz were biggers stars than Kevin Von Erich. For that matter so were the Funk Brothers, Daddy Funk and Pepper Gomez. This was in a discussion about the greatest wrestler ever to wrestle in Texas. Jason tried to claim Kevin was the greatest.

BigJ



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: The Bottom Of Lake Millerton
Posts: 6932
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
AMerorig will back me up on my answer.

"hye"

amerorig



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Fresno, California USA
Posts: 2995
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
BigJ wrote:
AMerorig will back me up on my answer.

"hye"


/facepalm

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6898
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thunderbolt wrote: Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.


This.  Everyone knew that was my code (and still is) for your an asshole and you have no fucking clue.

stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"lets get this show on the road", WTF?

Heretic



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3875
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I know I won't win many friends here, but "retarded" as a pejorative.

tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6678
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Heretic wrote: I know I won't win many friends here, but "retarded" as a pejorative.

What about "tape tarders"?

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5394
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"Momentarily" to mean "in a moment" rather than "lasting a moment".

"Football" when referring to gridiron.

"Aluminum" when referring to a metal.  It's "aluminium", like all non-prehistoric metals it ends in -ium. You don't hear about sodum or lithum, do you?

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote:
"Aluminum" when referring to a metal.  It's "aluminium", like all non-prehistoric metals it ends in -ium. You don't hear about sodum or lithum, do you?

I believe it was actually named "aluminum" by the scientist who first officially identified it. Then other scientists wanted to change it to "aluminium" because it seemed to follow the standard you pointed out in the names "lithium" and "sodium."  But it comes from the word "alumina" so the "um" seems to be proper (like "platinum"), given that other names ending in "ium" came from mineral names that already had the "i" in place.  So different authorities went with different spellings/pronunciations.  In the US and Canada, "aluminum" is preferred by the standards of the scientific community, though it is recognized that UK and Australia use "aliuminium." 



Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2010 07:12 pm by BayouBoogie

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
clawmaster wrote: thunderbolt wrote: Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.


Yep I pulled out the with all due respect line in response to Jason Hart, Gary's son, on KM. Had to break it to him that Kerry and Fritz were biggers stars than Kevin Von Erich. For that matter so were the Funk Brothers, Daddy Funk and Pepper Gomez. This was in a discussion about the greatest wrestler ever to wrestle in Texas. Jason tried to claim Kevin was the greatest.

Off subject, but I've read a couple of wild things from Jason Hart. He said some ridiculous things about Al Perez.  In particular, he claimed Perez was going to win the World title from Flair but he didn't feel like waiting for the date that it was going to happen so he told them he would just take it in a shoot at some house show.  This got him in trouble with the company and his planned World Title run was scrapped. How can anyone even repeat that crap with a straight face??




Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2010 07:09 pm by BayouBoogie

thunderbolt
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6177
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I have always understood this difference to be one of practical application only.  The element on the periodic table is Aluminium, while the metal commonly used in industrial application is most often called Aluminum, since it is actually not a pure rendering of the element, but is technically an alloy.

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thunderbolt wrote: I have always understood this difference to be one of practical application only.  The element on the periodic table is Aluminium, while the metal commonly used in industrial application is most often called Aluminum, since it is actually not a pure rendering of the element, but is technically an alloy.


I thought the same way you did, T-Bolt, but doing a little quick research on the wiki and a couple of science related reference sites (ALWAYS back the wiki up with its sources), it looks like it goes deeper than that. Like I said in the other post, the element was named "aluminum" by the inventor who named it.  He got the name by putting the standard "um" suffix on the word "alumina," but other scientists felt like "aluminium" fit the naming precedents.  The argument against that was that the words those names were derived from ended in "ia" rather than "a".  There was a debate and different organizations of scientific authority chose different spellings. The international spelling (as well as that in Australia and UK) is "aluminium" though "aluminum" is an accepted variant according to IUPAC.

in the US and Canada, it is the other way around, with "aluminum" being the standard and "aluminium" being an accepted variant (though it is rarely used in the US).


Btw, my American spell check tells me "aluminium" not spelled correctly.

Last edited on Sat Sep 11th, 2010 07:41 pm by BayouBoogie

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5394
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It was Humphrey Davy who first isolated aluminium, and, as he got it from alum, he called it alumium.  But aluminium was being used within a year of discovery.  As far as I can tell, Davy only used aluminum once, and that might have been a typo in the chemical paper.

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote: It was Humphrey Davy who first isolated aluminium, and, as he got it from alum, he called it alumium.  But aluminium was being used within a year of discovery.  As far as I can tell, Davy only used aluminum once, and that might have been a typo in the chemical paper.

Regardless, he called it aluminum and several authorities still use that term, although the international standard is aluminium (while allowing aluminum as an accepted variant).  So neither is "wrong," just different practices, like the differences in Koran and Quran, etc.

kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5394
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Koran/Quran is just different approaches to transliteration, like the ex-Soviet leader being called Gorbatschow in Germany.  "Aluminum" is just wrong, I don't care that the IUPAC considers it an acceptable alternative, they're the cunts who think sulphur is spelt with an f.

Heretic



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3875
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Aren't you from that stupid country that puts unnecessary "u"s in everything (labour, colour, etc.)?

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote: Koran/Quran is just different approaches to transliteration, like the ex-Soviet leader being called Gorbatschow in Germany.  "Aluminum" is just wrong, I don't care that the IUPAC considers it an acceptable alternative, they're the cunts who think sulphur is spelt with an f.


 

 

But why is it "wrong" when several authorities on the subject accept it?  It's just preference as to which style you prefer. And like I said, my spell check doesn't even accept aluminium, so in this counrty "aluminum" is "correct".


The "um" suffix is actually more in line with proper spelling because of the source word "alumina".  The "ium" suffix was only preferable to many because it seems to fit the naming trend of the day.  Seems that one spelling was based on grammatical tradition and the other on "sounding/looking right" based on a naming trend.

Last edited on Mon Sep 13th, 2010 02:00 pm by BayouBoogie

Road Warrior Yajuta



Joined: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010
Location: D'Iberville, Ms, USA
Posts: 4754
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
thunderbolt wrote: Every time you hear the phrase "with all due respect", you can be certain you are  about to be called an asshole.
 
Best line ever from a video game comes from Mass Effect:

Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"?~ Chief Ashley Williams


kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5394
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
BayouBoogie wrote: kargol wrote: Koran/Quran is just different approaches to transliteration, like the ex-Soviet leader being called Gorbatschow in Germany.  "Aluminum" is just wrong, I don't care that the IUPAC considers it an acceptable alternative, they're the cunts who think sulphur is spelt with an f.


 

 

But why is it "wrong" when several authorities on the subject accept it?  It's just preference as to which style you prefer. And like I said, my spell check doesn't even accept aluminium, so in this counrty "aluminum" is "correct".


The "um" suffix is actually more in line with proper spelling because of the source word "alumina".  The "ium" suffix was only preferable to many because it seems to fit the naming trend of the day.  Seems that one spelling was based on grammatical tradition and the other on "sounding/looking right" based on a naming trend.

And as I said Davy originally called it "alumium" because it came from alum.  I live quite near a district called Alum Rock.  (Great name for a music genre.)   Given that everyone in the English-speaking world calls it "aluminium", why does the US go against that out of sheer randomness?

Heretic wrote: Aren't you from that stupid country that puts unnecessary "u"s in everything (labour, colour, etc.)?
Yes, on the basis that we don't speak Latin.  (The u IS necessary from an historical phonetic perspective, "labor" would be pronounced "labbor" - as in "laboratory".)

But if you think that's daft, check out Australia.  Labor, but neighbour.

Portalesman
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 7872
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: kargol wrote: Koran/Quran is just different approaches to transliteration, like the ex-Soviet leader being called Gorbatschow in Germany.  "Aluminum" is just wrong, I don't care that the IUPAC considers it an acceptable alternative, they're the cunts who think sulphur is spelt with an f.


 

 

But why is it "wrong" when several authorities on the subject accept it?  It's just preference as to which style you prefer. And like I said, my spell check doesn't even accept aluminium, so in this counrty "aluminum" is "correct".


The "um" suffix is actually more in line with proper spelling because of the source word "alumina".  The "ium" suffix was only preferable to many because it seems to fit the naming trend of the day.  Seems that one spelling was based on grammatical tradition and the other on "sounding/looking right" based on a naming trend.

And as I said Davy originally called it "alumium" because it came from alum.  I live quite near a district called Alum Rock.  (Great name for a music genre.)   Given that everyone in the English-speaking world calls it "aluminium", why does the US go against that out of sheer randomness?

Heretic wrote: Aren't you from that stupid country that puts unnecessary "u"s in everything (labour, colour, etc.)?
Yes, on the basis that we don't speak Latin.  (The u IS necessary from an historical phonetic perspective, "labor" would be pronounced "labbor" - as in "laboratory".)

But if you think that's daft, check out Australia.  Labor, but neighbour.
This is America you jackass.  Lurn to speak the language or gtfo.

broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3449
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
At work we had a 40 something gentleman who would constantly say "Cool Beans" to something afirmative, and "Weak Sauce" when he was upset with something.

We canned him.

Heretic



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3875
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
You canned the cool beans, huh?

broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3449
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
With weak sauce, even.

He was a completely useless motherfucker.  Only reason he lasted as long as he did was we needed someone tall to reach things before we got new shelves at work (he was legit 6'5)

tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6678
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
broke wrote: With weak sauce, even.

He was a completely useless motherfucker.  Only reason he lasted as long as he did was we needed someone tall to reach things before we got new shelves at work (he was legit 6'5)

Did you bill him as 6'8" in the kayfabed company newsletter?

BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6849
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tofu_chipmunk wrote: broke wrote: With weak sauce, even.

He was a completely useless motherfucker.  Only reason he lasted as long as he did was we needed someone tall to reach things before we got new shelves at work (he was legit 6'5)

Did you bill him as 6'8" in the kayfabed company newsletter?


LMAO!!  I was wondering the same thing. If he's a legit 6'5", what was his billed height?

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 60552
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
This thread would've been so much better if the subject was:

turms people use that you
would rather they didnt

broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3449
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tofu_chipmunk wrote: broke wrote: With weak sauce, even.

He was a completely useless motherfucker.  Only reason he lasted as long as he did was we needed someone tall to reach things before we got new shelves at work (he was legit 6'5)

Did you bill him as 6'8" in the kayfabed company newsletter?


We did refer to him as "Andrew the Giant"

tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6678
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
broke wrote: tofu_chipmunk wrote: broke wrote: With weak sauce, even.

He was a completely useless motherfucker.  Only reason he lasted as long as he did was we needed someone tall to reach things before we got new shelves at work (he was legit 6'5)

Did you bill him as 6'8" in the kayfabed company newsletter?


We did refer to him as "Andrew the Giant"

Did he consider his nickname cool beans or weak sauce?

broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3449
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
too oblivious to realize he had a nickname during his 39 days of gainful employment.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems