WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Gimmicks That Killed Careers

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gimmicks That Killed Careers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 11139
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Infamous wrote:
I agree. Even with the polka dots & Sapphire by his side, Dusty Rhodes was right behind Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior in terms of popularity. It could be argued that his career was rejuvenated in the WWF during this period & was much more popular to a wider audience than it had been in JCP in his last couple of years there

No way it "killed" his career


Dusty talked about it on a WWE 24/7 round table discussion. I think it was Gene Okerlund, Dusty Rhodes, Michael Hayes, Mick Foley and Pat Patterson. They pretty much all agreed that if the wrestler believes in the gimmick, and gives it 100%, anything can work (examples being Goldust, Polka Dot Dusty). They blamed the failure of The Red Rooster on Terry Taylor believing that the whole thing was a rib on him, and not giving it his all.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 10:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 5556
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blue Blazer



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
freebirdsforever2001

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Tito Santana = El Matador

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 11139
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
kargol wrote:
Blue Blazer



LOL!

Cue every poster on S&W wondering why they didn't think of that earlier.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8928
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kriss wrote:
kargol wrote:
Blue Blazer



LOL!

Cue every poster on S&W wondering why they didn't think of that earlier.


yep...thread is over!



____________________
Esoteric verbosity culminates in commutative ennui.

De gustibus non est disputandum
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 6th, 2011 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Hammer to Fall



Joined: Wed Nov 7th, 2007
Location: Near An Enigma
Posts: 1860
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
stone2k wrote:
Kriss wrote:
kargol wrote:
Blue Blazer



LOL!

Cue every poster on S&W wondering why they didn't think of that earlier.


yep...thread is over!


Dammit. I was coming over here to post that.



____________________
Cork on the ocean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 03:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 52107
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
LOL @ The Blue Blazer

I never could take The Sheepherders seriously again once they were Bushwhackers

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
BottomlessJack2



Joined: Sat Aug 2nd, 2008
Location: The Isle Of, Tonga
Posts: 1878
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: I never could take The Sheepherders seriously again once they were Bushwhackers

I'll agree I never took them seriously again either, but it didn't kill their careers.


As for Arachnaman, Brad Armstrong had the biggest push of his NWA/WCW career after that gimmick, he had probably his best year with the company under the Bill Watts booking era, the Light Heavyweight Title, and had great TV matches with Liger, Muta, and dozens of others throughout 1992.


I dunno about gimmicks, but I know the extra "Z" certainly killed Tazz, outside of his first couple WWF appearances.

Marc Mero after his knee injury, when he came back with the haircut and "Marvelous" boxer gimmick for no reason.

Greg Gagne, terrible gimmick... Never got over again after the AWA

Bill Irwin as the GOON, though he was finishing up his career.

Tom Brandi just couldn't recover from Salvatore Sincere, though they gave it a quick try in 98.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 07:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
sek69



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 5485
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kriss wrote: Infamous wrote:
I agree. Even with the polka dots & Sapphire by his side, Dusty Rhodes was right behind Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior in terms of popularity. It could be argued that his career was rejuvenated in the WWF during this period & was much more popular to a wider audience than it had been in JCP in his last couple of years there

No way it "killed" his career


Dusty talked about it on a WWE 24/7 round table discussion. I think it was Gene Okerlund, Dusty Rhodes, Michael Hayes, Mick Foley and Pat Patterson. They pretty much all agreed that if the wrestler believes in the gimmick, and gives it 100%, anything can work (examples being Goldust, Polka Dot Dusty). They blamed the failure of The Red Rooster on Terry Taylor believing that the whole thing was a rib on him, and not giving it his all.


Not to mention Dusty knew Vince was trying to embarrass him with the polka dot gimmick (he said as much on that show if you read between the lines, and he's said it directly before), and that made him work that much harder to get it over.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6678
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: LOL @ The Blue Blazer

I never could take The Sheepherders seriously again once they were Bushwhackers

It was a character change, but not a career killer.  The Bushwhackers went for about seven years with that gimmick, and Butch Miller and Luke Williams weren't exactly spring chickens (both were over 40 at the time) when they signed with the WWF.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 01:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
NCJames

 

Joined: Sat Nov 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 357
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Marc Mero has to be the only guy who was actually hurt by dropping a gay gimmick

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Super Snott



Joined: Wed Jan 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 3329
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
LOL

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17574
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tofu_chipmunk wrote: beejmi wrote: LOL @ The Blue Blazer

I never could take The Sheepherders seriously again once they were Bushwhackers

It was a character change, but not a career killer.  The Bushwhackers went for about seven years with that gimmick, and Butch Miller and Luke Williams weren't exactly spring chickens (both were over 40 at the time) when they signed with the WWF.
Plus both said over the years they loved doing the gimmick and even today, they are recognized for it more than as the sheepherders.


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 03:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
cdewar19

 

Joined: Mon Feb 22nd, 2010
Location: In The Ruins Of CanadInns Stadium, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1639
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
More money, less bumps and no cutting yourself open every night. I can see why they preferred being the Bushwhackers. :)



____________________
"Getting promotionally outmaneuvered by TNA is like when Cartman lost all of his events at the Special Olympics." - tofu chipmunk
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 7th, 2011 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
khawk



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19638
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
BottomlessJack2 wrote: Greg Gagne, terrible gimmick... Never got over again after the AWA

Greg was already on the downside of his career when he took on the "Rambo" gimmick. I doubt he would have had any more of a following between 85-90 if he had never done that bit.



____________________
"It never hurts to use plain language when people are fucking stupid."--gwlee

"wrestling fans need to start taking showers it makes no sense to smell the way they smell"--kk18

"Lard is a food group in Arkansas."-Raditch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:46 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Gimmicks That Killed Careers Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems