WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Worst Replacement Singer in a Major Band

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Worst Replacement Singer in a Major Band  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TXM



Joined: Fri Jul 29th, 2011
Location: Dubuque, Iowa USA
Posts: 929
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Johnny Solinger in Skid Row.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Gary Cherone-VH
EVERY Journey singer after Steve Perry
The current singer of Warrant



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
TXM



Joined: Fri Jul 29th, 2011
Location: Dubuque, Iowa USA
Posts: 929
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I thought about naming Cherone, but the guy can sing. I think it was more of a timing thing, more than anything else. I always thought cherone would have been the ideal replacement for Freddie Mercury in Queen,

Also, the little Filipino dude who sings for Journey now is a monster.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
TXM wrote:
I thought about naming Cherone, but the guy can sing. I think it was more of a timing thing, more than anything else. I always thought cherone would have been the ideal replacement for Freddie Mercury in Queen,

Also, the little Filipino dude who sings for Journey now is a monster.


Of course Cherone can sing, but you asked for worst replacement singer, and he was. Good in his own right, horrible replacement choice for VH.

From a die hard Journey fan: Pineda can sing, but hes a tribute band singer, nothing more. If they werent trotting out Perry clone, after Perry clone, like they have w/3 singers now, &continuing to call it Journey? I wouldnt feel that way. Guys good, but how did he get the job? Imitating/sounding like someone else. Just like Augeri &JSS did.

Augeri's voice nearly gave out, trying to imitate Perry.



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
tamalie
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5157
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Gary Cherone might have worked in Van Halen if not for the fact that many fans were mad about both the manner of Sammy Hagar's exit and that they were teased with the return of David Lee Roth only for it to either fall through or turn out to be never really been in the cards. Eddie Van Halen had long been a big babyface as a personality to Van Halen fans, and music fans in general. These twin debacles made him out to be the worst kind of heel and his rep still hasn't recovered after 15 years. No one was buying Cherone after that mess.

Last edited on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 05:58 pm by tamalie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TXM



Joined: Fri Jul 29th, 2011
Location: Dubuque, Iowa USA
Posts: 929
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tamalie wrote: Gary Cherone might have worked in Van Halen if not for the fact that many fans were mad about both the manner of Sammy Hagar's exit and that they were teased with the return of David Lee Roth only for it to either fall through or turn out to be never really been in the cards. Eddie Van Halen had long been a big babyface as a personality to Van Halen fans, and music fans in general. These twin debacles made him out to be the worst kind of heel and his rep still hasn't recovered after 15 years. No one was buying Cherone after that mess.

That's what I meant by saying it was bad timing. No one wanted to hear Cherone fronting Van Halen, especially at that particular point in time. As a stand-alone album, it was borderline passable. Not just something a VH fan would want to hear.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Hymie Itsu



Joined: Mon Oct 10th, 2011
Location: Birthplace Of Dean Martin
Posts: 3170
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Johnny Edwards and Ray Wilson




____________________
Imagine a magical planet where people dont hang out on the Bouji board 24/7. ~ Portsalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
TXM



Joined: Fri Jul 29th, 2011
Location: Dubuque, Iowa USA
Posts: 929
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
stingmark wrote: TXM wrote:
I thought about naming Cherone, but the guy can sing. I think it was more of a timing thing, more than anything else. I always thought cherone would have been the ideal replacement for Freddie Mercury in Queen,

Also, the little Filipino dude who sings for Journey now is a monster.


Of course Cherone can sing, but you asked for worst replacement singer, and he was. Good in his own right, horrible replacement choice for VH.

From a die hard Journey fan: Pineda can sing, but hes a tribute band singer, nothing more. If they werent trotting out Perry clone, after Perry clone, like they have w/3 singers now, &continuing to call it Journey? I wouldnt feel that way. Guys good, but how did he get the job? Imitating/sounding like someone else. Just like Augeri &JSS did.

Augeri's voice nearly gave out, trying to imitate Perry.

But here's the thing, Journey is basically a nostalgia act now. Have been since Perry left. They make their money from touring. In that respect it's in their best interest to find someone who can mimic Perry. No one is going to a Journey show to hear some singer doing his own take on the classic Journey catalog. They want to hear something resembling what is on the albums.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
TXM wrote:
tamalie wrote: Gary Cherone might have worked in Van Halen if not for the fact that many fans were mad about both the manner of Sammy Hagar's exit and that they were teased with the return of David Lee Roth only for it to either fall through or turn out to be never really been in the cards. Eddie Van Halen had long been a big babyface as a personality to Van Halen fans, and music fans in general. These twin debacles made him out to be the worst kind of heel and his rep still hasn't recovered after 15 years. No one was buying Cherone after that mess.

That's what I meant by saying it was bad timing. No one wanted to hear Cherone fronting Van Halen, especially at that particular point in time. As a stand-alone album, it was borderline passable. Not just something a VH fan would want to hear.


I know what you were saying&agree w/both of you. That album got them dropped by their label. It was a bad attempt to save face. It was always assumed it was all DLR/Sammys faults....only years later, did fans start to realize, some of the things Dave/Sammy were saying about how bad Eddie was, did they start believing it.

Imo, its going to blow up in their face again, this current lineup.



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
TXM wrote:
stingmark wrote: TXM wrote:
I thought about naming Cherone, but the guy can sing. I think it was more of a timing thing, more than anything else. I always thought cherone would have been the ideal replacement for Freddie Mercury in Queen,

Also, the little Filipino dude who sings for Journey now is a monster.


Of course Cherone can sing, but you asked for worst replacement singer, and he was. Good in his own right, horrible replacement choice for VH.

From a die hard Journey fan: Pineda can sing, but hes a tribute band singer, nothing more. If they werent trotting out Perry clone, after Perry clone, like they have w/3 singers now, &continuing to call it Journey? I wouldnt feel that way. Guys good, but how did he get the job? Imitating/sounding like someone else. Just like Augeri &JSS did.

Augeri's voice nearly gave out, trying to imitate Perry.

But here's the thing, Journey is basically a nostalgia act now. Have been since Perry left. They make their money from touring. In that respect it's in their best interest to find someone who can mimic Perry. No one is going to a Journey show to hear some singer doing his own take on the classic Journey catalog. They want to hear something resembling what is on the albums.


So, that was my point somewhat? A nostalgia act, fronted by a tribute band singer? A guy singing someone elses songs? Dont call it Journey
then, as its not. I continue to laugh to this day, that Perry still gets paid from the band, yet hasnt been a member for over 10 yrs. He deserves to be, Neals such an ass.

Last edited on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:22 pm by stingmark



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Hymie Itsu



Joined: Mon Oct 10th, 2011
Location: Birthplace Of Dean Martin
Posts: 3170
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
stingmark wrote: TXM wrote:
stingmark wrote: TXM wrote:
I thought about naming Cherone, but the guy can sing. I think it was more of a timing thing, more than anything else. I always thought cherone would have been the ideal replacement for Freddie Mercury in Queen,

Also, the little Filipino dude who sings for Journey now is a monster.


Of course Cherone can sing, but you asked for worst replacement singer, and he was. Good in his own right, horrible replacement choice for VH.

From a die hard Journey fan: Pineda can sing, but hes a tribute band singer, nothing more. If they werent trotting out Perry clone, after Perry clone, like they have w/3 singers now, &continuing to call it Journey? I wouldnt feel that way. Guys good, but how did he get the job? Imitating/sounding like someone else. Just like Augeri &JSS did.

Augeri's voice nearly gave out, trying to imitate Perry.

But here's the thing, Journey is basically a nostalgia act now. Have been since Perry left. They make their money from touring. In that respect it's in their best interest to find someone who can mimic Perry. No one is going to a Journey show to hear some singer doing his own take on the classic Journey catalog. They want to hear something resembling what is on the albums.


So, that was my point somewhat? A nostalgia act, fronted by a tribute band singer? A guy singing someone elses songs? Dont call it Journey
then, as its not. I continue to laugh to this day, that Perry still gets paid from the band, yet hasnt been a member for over 10 yrs. He deserves to be, Neals such an ass.

The real irony of the situation is IIRC Journey was going to be a Santana-esque type group 'til Perry came along.



____________________
Imagine a magical planet where people dont hang out on the Bouji board 24/7. ~ Portsalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 7327
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tamalie wrote:
Gary Cherone might have worked in Van Halen if not for the fact that many fans were mad about both the manner of Sammy Hagar's exit and that they were teased with the return of David Lee Roth only for it to either fall through or turn out to be never really been in the cards. Eddie Van Halen had long been a big babyface as a personality to Van Halen fans, and music fans in general. These twin debacles made him out to be the worst kind of heel and his rep still hasn't recovered after 15 years. No one was buying Cherone after that mess.This. Cherone was actually a GREAT replacement, don't blame him, blame Eddie and Alex..Gary was doomed from the start. That said, the tour they did with him, nobody went, but damn, they were on FIRE, Eddie was playing great and Gary sang his ass off, he not only pulled off the old classics but nailed the Hagar stuff as well and that's not easy to do..



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Yep. You could say, if not for Perry, Journey wouldnt exist today? They were going to get dropped, due to poor album sales. Perry comes aboard &we all know the rest. Guys got a golden voice.



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
stingmark

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9440
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Married Jo wrote:
tamalie wrote:
Gary Cherone might have worked in Van Halen if not for the fact that many fans were mad about both the manner of Sammy Hagar's exit and that they were teased with the return of David Lee Roth only for it to either fall through or turn out to be never really been in the cards. Eddie Van Halen had long been a big babyface as a personality to Van Halen fans, and music fans in general. These twin debacles made him out to be the worst kind of heel and his rep still hasn't recovered after 15 years. No one was buying Cherone after that mess.This. Cherone was actually a GREAT replacement, don't blame him, blame Eddie and Alex..Gary was doomed from the start. That said, the tour they did with him, nobody went, but damn, they were on FIRE, Eddie was playing great and Gary sang his ass off, he not only pulled off the old classics but nailed the Hagar stuff as well
and that's not easy to do..


True dat. Jo, Im probably one of the few, who are in the same camp as you, in that I actually didnt think that record was bad? It was ok.....but Cherone can sing his ass off, no question. He definitely got a bad rap, while making the best of a bad situation.



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 7327
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I like HALF of that album. The only real problem with it is Eddie was spewing the "yeah, all Roth and Hagar sang about was partying and screwing, we're above that now" and had half the album full of political crap, please.  That said, personally, I think "Without You" was as good as any song VH had ever done and SHOULD have been on their greatest hits album...hopefully one day they give at least that song a little respect.

btw, somewhere I've got a great soundboard bootleg from that tour and Cherone kills it..I'll hunt for it and put up a download link for it next week for anyone that wants it, it's great.



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 11:17 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Worst Replacement Singer in a Major Band Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems