WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Alice's Restaurant  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
khawk



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19646
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
They used to bleep faggot out of money for nothing, but now the entire verse is edited out. The whole section of the song.

Pretty ridiculous, but pretty typical.



____________________
"It never hurts to use plain language when people are fucking stupid."--gwlee

"wrestling fans need to start taking showers it makes no sense to smell the way they smell"--kk18

"Lard is a food group in Arkansas."-Raditch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 06:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 62617
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
khawk wrote: They used to bleep faggot out of money for nothing, but now the entire verse is edited out. The whole section of the song.

Pretty ridiculous, but pretty typical.

It's used prominently in "American Idiot" by Green Day as well, also obviously not a knock on gays but mocking the right, and it's 50/50 whether they bleep it or not on the radio.  Some stations have left it.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5881
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
KGB wrote: I can't believe they still allow that word on the radio.  When's the last time you heard the full version of "Money For Nothing" on the radio?  That song led to one of the most ridiculous bits of self-censorship I've ever heard.  Brothers in Arms had only been released a few weeks earlier when Dire Straits played "Money For Nothing" at Live Aid and Marc Knopfler substituted "queenie" for "faggot" despite the fact that back then radio stations all played the song as is.   And it doesn't need to be mentioned that the lyrics are in the third person, so it's not like Knopfler should be accused of hate speech -- a term that didn't even exist in 1985 -- he's merely reading out the speech of an anonymous person.  But the seeds for our demise were already bearing fruit even back then.  
***wrings hands***



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8870
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: I sat down and really listened to the lyrics this year and I must say I'm shocked and appalled. There was no inclusion of any LBGT character. Also, the use of "you" can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant shows a complete disregard for proper pronoun usage. Let me not leave out the inherent racism that frames the entire song. When Arlo goes down for his Army physical, there is not one mention of a person of color especially in a leadership role. Also, I know there was a war on at the time but was the Army going to just give Arlo and company guns and ammo without a ten week waiting period and not only the psych eval he had at the recruiting office but a psych eval that was peer reviewed by three other psychiatrists? Finally, did Alice have a right to choose???She’s a dyke.  Alice eats pussy!  Alice eats pussy!



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York USA
Posts: 8978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: KGB wrote: I can't believe they still allow that word on the radio.  When's the last time you heard the full version of "Money For Nothing" on the radio?  That song led to one of the most ridiculous bits of self-censorship I've ever heard.  Brothers in Arms had only been released a few weeks earlier when Dire Straits played "Money For Nothing" at Live Aid and Marc Knopfler substituted "queenie" for "faggot" despite the fact that back then radio stations all played the song as is.   And it doesn't need to be mentioned that the lyrics are in the third person, so it's not like Knopfler should be accused of hate speech -- a term that didn't even exist in 1985 -- he's merely reading out the speech of an anonymous person.  But the seeds for our demise were already bearing fruit even back then.  
***wrings hands***
***clutches pearls***



____________________
...quite frankly, who the fuck is Ad Santel? - srossi.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 08:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
gwlee7
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5881
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: gwlee7 wrote: KGB wrote: I can't believe they still allow that word on the radio.  When's the last time you heard the full version of "Money For Nothing" on the radio?  That song led to one of the most ridiculous bits of self-censorship I've ever heard.  Brothers in Arms had only been released a few weeks earlier when Dire Straits played "Money For Nothing" at Live Aid and Marc Knopfler substituted "queenie" for "faggot" despite the fact that back then radio stations all played the song as is.   And it doesn't need to be mentioned that the lyrics are in the third person, so it's not like Knopfler should be accused of hate speech -- a term that didn't even exist in 1985 -- he's merely reading out the speech of an anonymous person.  But the seeds for our demise were already bearing fruit even back then.  
***wrings hands***
***clutches pearls***
****gasps****



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Nov 24th, 2022 08:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
khawk



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19646
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: WongLee wrote: gwlee7 wrote: KGB wrote: I can't believe they still allow that word on the radio.  When's the last time you heard the full version of "Money For Nothing" on the radio?  That song led to one of the most ridiculous bits of self-censorship I've ever heard.  Brothers in Arms had only been released a few weeks earlier when Dire Straits played "Money For Nothing" at Live Aid and Marc Knopfler substituted "queenie" for "faggot" despite the fact that back then radio stations all played the song as is.   And it doesn't need to be mentioned that the lyrics are in the third person, so it's not like Knopfler should be accused of hate speech -- a term that didn't even exist in 1985 -- he's merely reading out the speech of an anonymous person.  But the seeds for our demise were already bearing fruit even back then.  
***wrings hands***
***clutches pearls***
****gasps****
***masturbates***



____________________
"It never hurts to use plain language when people are fucking stupid."--gwlee

"wrestling fans need to start taking showers it makes no sense to smell the way they smell"--kk18

"Lard is a food group in Arkansas."-Raditch
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 02:01 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Alice's Restaurant Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems