WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Advice on joining an FFL auction league

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Advice on joining an FFL auction league  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 20th, 2016 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17802
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My old fraternity league changed their rules to where it's a normal league and asked me to come back, which I accepted. I'd left a few years ago because their rules were archaic (9 total moves all year/play everyone every week/there's a salary cap/2 QBs!, etc....).  The one caveat-they are implementing an auction format this year, which is new for everyone.

Anybody have any advice on drafting in this format? I've never done it.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Aug 21st, 2016 04:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3825
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
start small, bid low. The guys you want can be gotten later in the draft. Don't overspend early. Kind of like bidding on eBay



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2016 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17802
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
yellowdog wrote: start small, bid low. The guys you want can be gotten later in the draft. Don't overspend early. Kind of like bidding on eBayThere are 14 people in this league. If I decide that's too many, it will be a one year experiment.  10 teams are the optimal amount.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2016 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
tamalie
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'm in five fantasy football leagues of which two are snake drafts, two are conventional auctions, and one is a dynasty league with a free agent auction that is obviously limited as far as the available talent. I enjoy the auctions more than anything else all season. We turn them into a party on a Saturday night with drinking, food, and large amounts of trash talk. Here are my thoughts on fantasy football auctions in general. Hopefully some of this will help.

- Are you going to do an analog auction with guys shouting out bids or raising bid cards, or will you be using the online auction room of a service like ESPN, Yahoo or CBS? If it's the latter, it is very much to the advantage and enjoyment of everyone if ALL team owners are logged in and placing bids themselves for the entirety of the auction as opposed to going to a movie that night and letting the computer auto bid.

The computer knows no subtlety. The following applies to ESPN, but may as well to other services. If the best player available happens to be Aaron Rodgers when it's the turn of the person who's auto bidding, but it might not be timely for Rodgers to be on the block, the computer will bid for him. If the person who is auto bidding has an open starting RB spot, already has Todd Gurley and needs a QB and WR, but someone else nominates Adrian Peterson, the computer will start bidding big bucks for Peterson. The computer will always bid to the average value of any nominated player if the person auto bidding needs to fill that position. It's extremely annoying and after going through this one year when someone just decided not to come to the auction and do something else instead, my auction leagues all set a firm rule, with punishment by dismissal if broken, that all parties participate in the auction.

- Too many people treat an auction like a draft. The person who bids first nominates Todd Gurley. The next person nominates Adrian Peterson. Then the next person puts out Odell Beckham. And so on. That's foolish thinking. The last thing anyone should do in the early part of an auction is nominate the elite players. Not only will the best guys go off the board, but anyone who gets them will spend a ton of dough while everyone else has a depleted talent pool to swim in. The best thing to do is nominate mid level guys who people will overbid for due to the rush of the auction starting while the top players remain available while people have less dough to spend.

- On that note, the player you nominate doesn't have to be and often shouldn't be someone you want. Just because it's your turn, you need a WR, and Julio Jones is available, that's no reason to nominate him if the circumstances aren't right. I often just toss out some WR2 or WR3 or maybe a K that I wouldn't mind getting or wouldn't care about losing. It's all about timing.

- Yellowdog is right on about budgeting. If you go big for an elite QB, WR, and RB, but then find yourself with no money left and then a bunch of scrubs, it's not doing yourself a favor in the long run.

- Spend all your money if possible. It's okay to be frugal, but if you have $200 to spend and are left with $28 left over dollars, you'll end up with a weaker team than you could have had.

- Regarding league size, my two traditional auction leagues are set up as follows:

10 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D/ST, and six bench spots.

12 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D/ST, and eight bench spots.

You want neither too many teams nor too many roster spots, or worse to have both. The reason is you need people to be engaged and run their teams. The worst thing is when the guy who's 1-6 or who has lost a key guy to injury then checks out and winds up starting injured guys or people on bye. The key to keeping people involved is hope that a turnaround is possible. To turn things around good players must be available for pick up. If there are 14 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D/ST, and ten bench spots, everyone loses because with rare exception like Devonta Freeman last year or Josh Gordon a few years ago, there's no one to pick up who will make any difference. At that point the owners of teams that suck will bail and it harms the guys who care. What if you're going for a wildcard spot and are playing a guy whose .500 and doing his best, but your wildcard spot rival is playing a team with 7 straight losses and has no QB because that team owner never bothered to bench the guy due to not checking his team for the past few weeks?

I'll post some more stuff if it comes to me. Sorry if any of this is too obvious or makes me come off like a Matthew Berry wannabe.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2016 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
cdewar19

 

Joined: Mon Feb 22nd, 2010
Location: In The Ruins Of CanadInns Stadium, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1639
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
My league did an auction format one year, and it was awesome. I kept putting up names I didn't want right off the bat, and half the league blew their salary caps going after the big names.



____________________
"Getting promotionally outmaneuvered by TNA is like when Cartman lost all of his events at the Special Olympics." - tofu chipmunk
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Aug 22nd, 2016 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tamalie
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The first time you have an auction, when no one really gets the nuances and is overcome by false strategy and adrenaline, is always the most insane and fun.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2016 01:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5234
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Tamalie what the hell is a snake draft?

It sounds like the best part of an auction draft is tricking the other people in the league to blow their wad on shit players by nominating knuckle heads and then slide in after and score an all pro team.

Has anyone been in an auction league with a bunch of people that don't fall for the great shitty player trick? What happens then?



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2016 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
cdewar19

 

Joined: Mon Feb 22nd, 2010
Location: In The Ruins Of CanadInns Stadium, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1639
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Franchise wrote: Tamalie what the hell is a snake draft?

It sounds like the best part of an auction draft is tricking the other people in the league to blow their wad on shit players by nominating knuckle heads and then slide in after and score an all pro team.

Has anyone been in an auction league with a bunch of people that don't fall for the great shitty player trick? What happens then?

Not tamalie, but a "snake draft" is where you dranft 1-10 in the first round, then 10-1 in the second round. Unless they do something crazy in Minneapolis.



____________________
"Getting promotionally outmaneuvered by TNA is like when Cartman lost all of his events at the Special Olympics." - tofu chipmunk
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2016 06:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
tamalie
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
We do crazy stuff in Minneapolis, but not when it comes to fantasy football drafts. That's a snake draft in these parts, as it is elsewhere.

The people in my two traditional auction leagues have settled down to the point that people don't go as crazy as they used to during auctions. That makes it harder to get people to go crazy with bidding, but sometimes people get caught up in the heat of the moment. When people keep their cool, you just need to pick your spots and put your foot in the water when it comes to bidding on players that interest you. If you get down to the last elite or very good player at a particular position and many owners have holes to fill. All hell can break loose.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2016 08:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17802
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
tamalie wrote: I'm in five fantasy football leagues of which two are snake drafts, two are conventional auctions, and one is a dynasty league with a free agent auction that is obviously limited as far as the available talent. I enjoy the auctions more than anything else all season. We turn them into a party on a Saturday night with drinking, food, and large amounts of trash talk. Here are my thoughts on fantasy football auctions in general. Hopefully some of this will help.

- Are you going to do an analog auction with guys shouting out bids or raising bid cards, or will you be using the online auction room of a service like ESPN, Yahoo or CBS? If it's the latter, it is very much to the advantage and enjoyment of everyone if ALL team owners are logged in and placing bids themselves for the entirety of the auction as opposed to going to a movie that night and letting the computer auto bid.

The computer knows no subtlety. The following applies to ESPN, but may as well to other services. If the best player available happens to be Aaron Rodgers when it's the turn of the person who's auto bidding, but it might not be timely for Rodgers to be on the block, the computer will bid for him. If the person who is auto bidding has an open starting RB spot, already has Todd Gurley and needs a QB and WR, but someone else nominates Adrian Peterson, the computer will start bidding big bucks for Peterson. The computer will always bid to the average value of any nominated player if the person auto bidding needs to fill that position. It's extremely annoying and after going through this one year when someone just decided not to come to the auction and do something else instead, my auction leagues all set a firm rule, with punishment by dismissal if broken, that all parties participate in the auction.

- Too many people treat an auction like a draft. The person who bids first nominates Todd Gurley. The next person nominates Adrian Peterson. Then the next person puts out Odell Beckham. And so on. That's foolish thinking. The last thing anyone should do in the early part of an auction is nominate the elite players. Not only will the best guys go off the board, but anyone who gets them will spend a ton of dough while everyone else has a depleted talent pool to swim in. The best thing to do is nominate mid level guys who people will overbid for due to the rush of the auction starting while the top players remain available while people have less dough to spend.

- On that note, the player you nominate doesn't have to be and often shouldn't be someone you want. Just because it's your turn, you need a WR, and Julio Jones is available, that's no reason to nominate him if the circumstances aren't right. I often just toss out some WR2 or WR3 or maybe a K that I wouldn't mind getting or wouldn't care about losing. It's all about timing.

- Yellowdog is right on about budgeting. If you go big for an elite QB, WR, and RB, but then find yourself with no money left and then a bunch of scrubs, it's not doing yourself a favor in the long run.

- Spend all your money if possible. It's okay to be frugal, but if you have $200 to spend and are left with $28 left over dollars, you'll end up with a weaker team than you could have had.

- Regarding league size, my two traditional auction leagues are set up as follows:

10 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D/ST, and six bench spots.

12 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, D/ST, and eight bench spots.

You want neither too many teams nor too many roster spots, or worse to have both. The reason is you need people to be engaged and run their teams. The worst thing is when the guy who's 1-6 or who has lost a key guy to injury then checks out and winds up starting injured guys or people on bye. The key to keeping people involved is hope that a turnaround is possible. To turn things around good players must be available for pick up. If there are 14 teams with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, Flex, K, D/ST, and ten bench spots, everyone loses because with rare exception like Devonta Freeman last year or Josh Gordon a few years ago, there's no one to pick up who will make any difference. At that point the owners of teams that suck will bail and it harms the guys who care. What if you're going for a wildcard spot and are playing a guy whose .500 and doing his best, but your wildcard spot rival is playing a team with 7 straight losses and has no QB because that team owner never bothered to bench the guy due to not checking his team for the past few weeks?

I'll post some more stuff if it comes to me. Sorry if any of this is too obvious or makes me come off like a Matthew Berry wannabe.
Thanks a bunch for the detailed advice.  I believe it's an automated situation but will confirm.  We have 14 teams with 13 spots so it's 182 picks total. That is in contrast to my other league of 8 teams with 16 picks. Quite the difference in number drafted.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:48 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Advice on joining an FFL auction league Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems