WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Secondary titles  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 03:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5871
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I’m currently watching an episode of WCWSN where Luger beats Johnny for the tv title 3/6/96 I believe and it got me thinking “does it elevate a secondary title when a former world champion wins it?” Or “does it bring the wrestlers profile down?” I think it can work both ways and I know how I feel but what do you all think? 

In this case back in 96 I thought it helped to build Luger and elevated the title because Luger doubled up with the tag titles and got pushed pretty hard. looking back now they could have done the TV title better by putting it on some of the new talent they had flooding the roster like Guerrero, Benoit, Konnan (I know he just recently had the US title) etc. 

Last edited on Sat Jul 14th, 2018 03:30 am by Franchise



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 1100
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I think it depends on the circumstances, but for the most part I think it brings a wrestler down because they've already reached the highest level.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 06:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
BitterOldMan



Joined: Thu Jun 30th, 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 1052
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
DJP wrote: I think it depends on the circumstances, but for the most part I think it brings a wrestler down because they've already reached the highest level.
I'll disagree with that assumption and go total kayfabe by saying someone could have circumstances come together and win the world title. It may never happen again, think Tommy Rich and Race.

Or circumstances are such that the top belt is on a face and another face is being pushed as well, a top guy. Why would putting the US Title on him if the World belt is also on a face be a letdown?



____________________
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. - John Stuart Mill
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 06:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51099
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It depends mon who you beat and who beats you in the end.

if you bet a nobody (or a nobody beats you for it) then you've been knocked down a peg.


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 10:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
ukfan01

 

Joined: Tue Jul 5th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 120
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
For me it's how the title is won, defended and lost. Luger did nothing for, and very little with, the TV title. It should have been on somebody else, but at the time they just wanted it off Johnny B Badd. In hindsight they could have put it back on Steven Regal sooner and had him feud with Dave Finlay over it. On a similar theme, it didn't take long for Dusty Rhodes to see the World Tag Team title as being beneath him, ranking below the World title and the TV title. They should have let Manny Fernandez choose a new partner.

Last edited on Sat Jul 14th, 2018 10:45 am by ukfan01

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 12:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61563
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It depends. Dusty being TV champ definitely elevated it and he was still booked as a main eventer (he was probably the booker so of course).



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10803
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: It depends. Dusty being TV champ definitely elevated it and he was still booked as a main eventer (he was probably the booker so of course).

Yep. If the booking is good, a secondary title can absolutely be worked into main event storylines. On the other hand, with shitty booking, the main title can end up not being the main event.



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11108
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: It depends. Dusty being TV champ definitely elevated it and he was still booked as a main eventer (he was probably the booker so of course).

Yep. If the booking is good, a secondary title can absolutely be worked into main event storylines. On the other hand, with shitty booking, the main title can end up not being the main event.

This is correct.  If it's booked correctly you'll elevate the title.  If main event level guys are battling for a secondary belt it makes it seem important.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 15th, 2018 03:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61563
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: It depends. Dusty being TV champ definitely elevated it and he was still booked as a main eventer (he was probably the booker so of course).

Yep. If the booking is good, a secondary title can absolutely be worked into main event storylines. On the other hand, with shitty booking, the main title can end up not being the main event.

This is correct.  If it's booked correctly you'll elevate the title.  If main event level guys are battling for a secondary belt it makes it seem important.

Not only that but it keeps main event level guys in the spotlight while not being in the World title chase. It’s the best of both worlds. But so rarely booked right. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
cheapseats



Joined: Thu Jul 8th, 2010
Location: Eastern Panhandle , West Virginia USA
Posts: 1240
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It put him on that small list of guys who won all three of WCW's singles titles (not counting the cruiser weight) and the World Tag team belts. Not a bad place to be when you are in the company of guys like Sting, Steamboat, and Rhodes.



____________________
Never said that I could 100 % substantiate it. And convincing you 100 % is not a concern of mine.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11108
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
There was an angle where Rhodes went after the National Title because he had never won it. I'm pretty sure this was after he had held the World, World Tag, World TV, and US titles. The National Title had lost some luster at this point, but to me, and it just might be me, it made the title seem less important. It felt like he wanted it because it was the final piece in his collection, but not because it was valuable. It should have helped elevate the belt, but I never felt like it did.


Anyone remember this?



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
cheapseats



Joined: Thu Jul 8th, 2010
Location: Eastern Panhandle , West Virginia USA
Posts: 1240
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: There was an angle where Rhodes went after the National Title because he had never won it. I'm pretty sure this was after he had held the World, World Tag, World TV, and US titles. The National Title had lost some luster at this point, but to me, and it just might be me, it made the title seem less important. It felt like he wanted it because it was the final piece in his collection, but not because it was valuable. It should have helped elevate the belt, but I never felt like it did.


Anyone remember this?Was he already working a program with Landell at the time he gave himself the title though?



____________________
Never said that I could 100 % substantiate it. And convincing you 100 % is not a concern of mine.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 11108
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
cheapseats wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: There was an angle where Rhodes went after the National Title because he had never won it. I'm pretty sure this was after he had held the World, World Tag, World TV, and US titles. The National Title had lost some luster at this point, but to me, and it just might be me, it made the title seem less important. It felt like he wanted it because it was the final piece in his collection, but not because it was valuable. It should have helped elevate the belt, but I never felt like it did.


Anyone remember this?Was he already working a program with Landell at the time he gave himself the title though?


I don't remember & to be honest I had to use the googles to find out that he won it from Budro.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
freebirdsforever2001

 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Wasn't that when Landell was fired around that time frame?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 11:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5871
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
And the title “change” was in Albuquerque



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:23 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Secondary titles Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems