WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Obscures Angelo Mosca jr Photo

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Obscures Angelo Mosca jr Photo  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 8th, 2021 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7726
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Was reading Greg Oliver's interview with Angelo Mosca jr re: his father's passing. Didn't realize he'd also played college football at Concordia University in Montreal, and was actually a co-captain of the team a few years before he started his short wrestling career. Found this archived photo of him and the other captains from 1980


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Nov 8th, 2021 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 446
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
What a great photo!



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, https://SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 9th, 2021 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
The Ultimate Sin
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10965
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I realize he was pretty bland, and correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen much of his work, but he was an average at best worker, but why was his career so short?


Those aspects never stopped guys from having long careers during the territory days. Especially with Vince grabbing talent you'd think promotors would grab him for name recognition. I read a lot about him in the Apter mags, and as a kid I assumed he was really good.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 9th, 2021 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 10382
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 




You can see based on the territories both Angelo Jr. and Senior worked together that it was really a family affair, and with Angelo's name value the promoters could produce some angles that might draw money.   They liked traveling together and in essence, King Kong was for the first time playing on the offensive line, opening holes for Junior to make his modest gains.  After the Florida, Mid-Atlantic and WWF runs, when opportunities were drying up, Angelo Jr. moved on to his next line of work.   Giving him a brief career push was worth a try.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 12:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3471
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: I realize he was pretty bland, and correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen much of his work, but he was an average at best worker, but why was his career so short?


Those aspects never stopped guys from having long careers during the territory days. Especially with Vince grabbing talent you'd think promotors would grab him for name recognition. I read a lot about him in the Apter mags, and as a kid I assumed he was really good.

If only he was average at best. He was bad. His promos were even worse. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8777
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Spatulapup wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: I realize he was pretty bland, and correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen much of his work, but he was an average at best worker, but why was his career so short?


Those aspects never stopped guys from having long careers during the territory days. Especially with Vince grabbing talent you'd think promotors would grab him for name recognition. I read a lot about him in the Apter mags, and as a kid I assumed he was really good.

If only he was average at best. He was bad. His promos were even worse. 

Mosca Jr probably falls somewhere between Erik Watts and post-stroke Mike Von Erich on the scale of most-over-pushed wrestling kids in history.   

That's not to say he may not have grown into a better worker at some point, but seeing him beat Ivan Koloff for the Mid-Atlantic belt when he was green as a cucumber was just really bad.  He needed to be working in a small territory for a couple of years before going to Crockett.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 02:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8777
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
That's probably kinda harsh, I just think he got pushed into a bad situation too early. I think a year or two in Calgary would have been helpful.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3471
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
He won the Mid Atlantic belt about 5 months into his pro career. That was fast. lol whoever was booking whether it was Dory Funk, Ernie Ladd, Gary Hart, pushed him hard as a favor to Mosca Sr maybe. There is a match against Ivan Koloff and Mosca Jr is trying to put the figure four on him and he does not know how to do it. Ivan sells it anyway and even tries to  help him. Poor Ivan. I hope he got a bonus for having to wrestle him for months. But he was only in wrestling for about a year and a half if that. He should not have been pushed that hard so fast. He may have improved if he stuck around.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 9381
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: Spatulapup wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: I realize he was pretty bland, and correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen much of his work, but he was an average at best worker, but why was his career so short?


Those aspects never stopped guys from having long careers during the territory days. Especially with Vince grabbing talent you'd think promotors would grab him for name recognition. I read a lot about him in the Apter mags, and as a kid I assumed he was really good.

If only he was average at best. He was bad. His promos were even worse. 

Mosca Jr probably falls somewhere between Erik Watts and post-stroke Mike Von Erich on the scale of most-over-pushed wrestling kids in history.   

That's not to say he may not have grown into a better worker at some point, but seeing him beat Ivan Koloff for the Mid-Atlantic belt when he was green as a cucumber was just really bad.  He needed to be working in a small territory for a couple of years before going to Crockett.


Watched that match on YT earlier to refresh my memory.  Just terrible. Ivan should have just pinned himself. Would have been more interesting.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 04:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5420
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
In my limited exposure to him he was the complete package; boring in the ring, boring interview and bad look.



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 11:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Posts: 446
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
In my interview with him
https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2021/11/08/angelo-mosca-jr-shares-laughs-and-lessons-from-his-father/
he admits he wasn't cut out for the wrestling business and just wasn't comfortable out there.



____________________
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, https://SlamWrestling.net
Author, http://www.OliverBooks.ca
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 03:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3471
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I was watching a promo of him talking about Assassin 1 and Mosca Jr calls him Jody. His real name. Pretty bad. Lol 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Blazer
MR HOCKEY


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 8777
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
That botched figure-four….I just watched that earlier this summer.
Just awful. WrestleCrap bad.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2953
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: That botched figure-four….I just watched that earlier this summer.
Just awful. WrestleCrap bad.


I just watched it...ouch.  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 10th, 2021 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3471
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
He started in Florida in 1983. Had some matches in Kansas City/St.Louis, Went to Mid Atlantic until September 1984. Went back to Florida for a bit and then had around 4 or 5 matches in the WWf into 1985.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 07:46 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Obscures Angelo Mosca jr Photo Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems