WowBB Forums Home 

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Phils manager. I was waiting for it. They upgrade every offseason and still go nowhere.


22-29 , 12 games out. Pfffft.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8742
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: Phils manager. I was waiting for it. They upgrade every offseason and still go nowhere.


22-29 , 12 games out. Pfffft.
Do you truly believe the Phillies have built a contender?  Outside of Bryce Harper, everything they've gotten is second rate.  Zack Wheeler is a great SP, but he's not and never will be a #1 SP.  Your closer was a designated OPENER last season for a shithole Colorado squad, and he hasn't been successful as a closer in about seven years.  He closed in Milwaukee two or three closers prior to Josh Hader.  Kyle Schwarber is what he is, a .215 hitter that can mash for short stretches of time and carry your team for two weeks.  Jean Segura is not special, Zach Eflin is less than that.  To blame this on Girardi is so "Philly Sports Radio" it's not funny.  The Phillies are a .500 team, that's all.

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47506
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Rebuild ?  Trade Harper for some young players / prospects ?What sayeth you Phillie fans ?



srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Did he wind up being better or worse than Gabe Kapler? I know Girardi's bullpen management has been heavily criticized since his days with the Yankees, but firing the manager isn't going to do much with a team this bad. They are a .500 team under the best of circumstances.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 10279
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: Did he wind up being better or worse than Gabe Kapler? I know Girardi's bullpen management has been heavily criticized since his days with the Yankees, but firing the manager isn't going to do much with a team this bad. They are a .500 team under the best of circumstances.

Girardi overall better than Kapler IMO.  Kapler did more with less last year with the Giants than he had with the Phillies for 2 years.  Similar records coaching the Phillies for both which to me points to player personnel and the organization in general.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
More or less the Philly fans see Girardi as someone that only had success when he was managing the Yankees and that's because it was the Yankees.

Perhaps second rate as Superstar has pointed out. Not seen that way here. The bullpen is seen that way and thats it.


Lineup should get you to the playoffs is the prevailing thought here. Lots of playoff spots available these days in this format. But team clearly going nowhere. Again. They never 'turn the corner'. Huff and puff to get to .500 ....... 10+ years without the playoffs adding to the frustration.

It could be as simple as the players don't like him. As we all know in sports, the coach can be a master tactician, but if the players hate the coach, it wont go well.

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: It could be as simple as the players don't like him. As we all know in sports, the coach can be a master tactician, but if the players hate the coach, it wont go well.
Kapler seemed divisive, but personality-wise Girardi never seemed to have an issue with players, although things could've changed.  Managing personalities these days must be harder than ever as these players get younger and are more eager to be offended by something.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
lobo316 wrote: Rebuild ?  Trade Harper for some young players / prospects ?What sayeth you Phillie fans ?





You'd need someone to pick up a monster contract that runs too long

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: beejmi wrote: It could be as simple as the players don't like him. As we all know in sports, the coach can be a master tactician, but if the players hate the coach, it wont go well.
Kapler seemed divisive, but personality-wise Girardi never seemed to have an issue with players, although things could've changed.  Managing personalities these days must be harder than ever as these players get younger and are more eager to be offended by something.


No. Nothing out there in terms of him not getting along with anyone.

There is something wrong though in terms of chemistry and consistency. There's never a 'we have to win now' mentality. Team appears to be 'capable' at times (goes into LA and takes 3 of 4 from the Dodgers) but then lose 7 of next 10. As a fan you feel they could be better but there's no urgency. Too many 'should have won them' games will haunt them at the end of the season when the standings are tallied.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Was talking with a friend of mine and he put it a good way - 100% happy just to be .500

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It’s hard to see his time here as anything but failure. There was no ‘peak’ no ‘good times’

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Phils respond with a 10-0 win last night.



Was Girardi all along just like I told you guys

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 15347
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: lobo316 wrote: Rebuild ?  Trade Harper for some young players / prospects ?What sayeth you Phillie fans ?





You'd need someone to pick up a monster contract that runs too long
The Giants were willing to pay Harper what he wanted but he chose the Phillies instead. I am not sure he would be a good fit with the Giants now with Kapler managing.

Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8742
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: Phils respond with a 10-0 win last night.



Was Girardi all along just like I told you guys
They’ve obviously been reading our board.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 10279
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Superstar wrote: beejmi wrote: Phils respond with a 10-0 win last night.



Was Girardi all along just like I told you guys
They’ve obviously been reading our board.



Dead cat bounce of having a new manager, HC, whatever. The Phillies will look like a different team for a week and then they will return to the norm.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And they've got the jump on the Angels tonight. Have outscored opponents 12-0 since Girardi got fired.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
7-2 win tonight

Outscored opponents 17-2 since Girardi's departure.


The dominance continues~!

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 15347
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Playing a team that lost 10 straight helps.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
They could have the Phillies Phanatic manage the team the rest of the year

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And the Phils come from behind , a 6-2 defecit and win 9-7

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47506
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: And the Phils come from behind , a 6-2 defecit and win 9-7


Whenever a manager is fired, a team usually wins  a few games, but reality soon returns.
When ya suck, ya suck.


srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
lobo316 wrote: beejmi wrote: And the Phils come from behind , a 6-2 defecit and win 9-7


Whenever a manager is fired, a team usually wins  a few games, but reality soon returns.
When ya suck, ya suck.



The best time to fire a manager is before you're about to play a really crappy team like the Angels so you can maybe pick up some wins.  That's the theory at least.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 8055
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'd pick up Girardi to be a bench coach for the Jays, and actually I think he'd be helpful with their catching due of Jansen and Kirk.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 8055
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I'd pick up Girardi to be a bench coach for the Jays, and actually I think he'd be helpful with their catching due of Jansen and Kirk.

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Principal_Raditch wrote: I'd pick up Girardi to be a bench coach for the Jays, and actually I think he'd be helpful with their catching due of Jansen and Kirk.
Unless you mean immediately for the rest of the year, I think Girardi will probably have options to be a manager next year and would not accept a demotion.

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: lobo316 wrote: beejmi wrote: And the Phils come from behind , a 6-2 defecit and win 9-7


Whenever a manager is fired, a team usually wins  a few games, but reality soon returns.
When ya suck, ya suck.



The best time to fire a manager is before you're about to play a really crappy team like the Angels so you can maybe pick up some wins.  That's the theory at least.

And now Joe Maddon of the Angels is fired. The Phillies are leaving scorched earth wherever they go. 

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 15347
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
12 game losing streak with a good roster will do you in. Mediocre pitching was his down fall.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 10279
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: srossi wrote: lobo316 wrote: beejmi wrote: And the Phils come from behind , a 6-2 defecit and win 9-7


Whenever a manager is fired, a team usually wins  a few games, but reality soon returns.
When ya suck, ya suck.



The best time to fire a manager is before you're about to play a really crappy team like the Angels so you can maybe pick up some wins.  That's the theory at least.

And now Joe Maddon of the Angels is fired. The Phillies are leaving scorched earth wherever they go. 


Angels organization are the A.L. counterpart to the Phillies. High expectations every year then crap. Ohtani and Trout will not win a World Series there.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
And the Phils go into Milwaukee and win

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Benlen wrote: 12 game losing streak with a good roster will do you in. Mediocre pitching was his down fall.
The Angels have now lost a franchise record 13 in a row, plus Trout, who had been slumping horribly before having a good game the night before, left with a pulled groin.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Funny thing is Trout was still batting .277 the other day even with a 0 for 24

Figure losing 2 points an at-bat? Had to be hitting .320+ when it started

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61978
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The Angels lost again. They all played Nickelback walk-up music, but it didn't help.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Phils may not lose another game the rest of the year

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 10279
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: Phils may not lose another game the rest of the year

9-0 since the managerial change. Is that a record?  Must be close for wins in a row after a manager is fired.

lobo316
MISTER MONDAY NIGHT


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 47506
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: Phils may not lose another game the rest of the year



beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Trailing 12-1 in the 8th

Going to be one hell of a comeback

KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 3607
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
14-2 record thus far in June.  



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems