WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Clawmaster's Archives > How Is This Forum Used And Who Reads It?

 Moderated by: Ron  
AuthorPost
WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York
Posts: 8856
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I found this fascinating today. Obviously this forum will never be a high volume area as far as post views are concerned. What we do is extremely niche to put it mildly. I put up seven posts today on a project I'm doing for Long Island. The views shot up quickly and even though it's not a high amount of views such as a post with say....oh.....dog fucking, it was almost even across all seven posts. So who's looking at this? Do you think it's only the guys who use this forum daily or could it possibly be regular posters to the board but not to this forum? I'm amazed at the work the regulars here such as OFG, Kriss, dbaker, and The Brute (apologies if I left any regulars out) do as well as what Jim did which will never be replicated. As I mentioned, this is a niche where we put in countless hours and there will be virtually no return except the long shot of winning an argument with Crimz Danny on if Lew Theis wrestled in Salinas, KS in October of 1938. So fess up you hillbilly retards, who's looking at this the most.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51538
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I read if a name of interest pops up (Graham, Rhodes, Bruno, WWWF, etc)


I have no clue who Guss Sonnenberg is so there could be a 20+ page thread with 50,000 views where ya'll sharing tranny porn that I'm not aware of

Big thanks from me to the contributors here.


How does this compare to kayfabe memories results ? This is better, its interchangeable, this place sucks?


And are there other wrestling forums that offer such? I ask because I honestly don't know.

WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York
Posts: 8856
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
beejmi wrote: I read if a name of interest pops up (Graham, Rhodes, Bruno, WWWF, etc)


I have no clue who Guss Sonnenberg is so there could be a 20+ page thread with 50,000 views where ya'll sharing tranny porn that I'm not aware of

Big thanks from me to the contributors here.


How does this compare to kayfabe memories results ? This is better, its interchangeable, this place sucks?


And are there other wrestling forums that offer such? I ask because I honestly don't know.
I'm dead serious when I say this. I think this forum on your board is the one of the two best places on the internet for results. The other is wrestlingdata.com. The only small complaints about here would probably be the same on any message board.  The cut/paste is kinda fucked up and when you post you have to go into "Preview" to format it correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no fix for that. Also the search engine is too broad even though the "Search This Forum Only" is a huge help. Again, no fault to anyone on this. The message boards that are left on the web probably all have out of date software.

khawk
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 19448
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I Peruse them if a wrestler or area of interest comes up to the top, or if I need to research when a card happened or the results.

Andyo

 

Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 409
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I collect results from my "golden age" which is 1964-1973. I agree that this board along with Wrestlingdata are the best sites. I will occasionally go to Kayfabe Memories but not often. I do check this out almost everyday.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee, a couple of tips:

To search this forum, try this in Google:

"Wrestler name" site:https://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/


To post and edit without formatting issues, use the Pale Moon browser. It's not a great browser, but it's not Chromium based, which seems to be the problem.


To answer some other questions. The KM results board has almost nothing interesting going on. Don Luce is still working away and his stuff gets posted by CM on the Thesz board.

The Brute

 

Joined: Sun Jun 11th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 3714
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I enjoy participating in this forum. Great source for results and information.

srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61979
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I have nothing to contribute but I look around here every couple of weeks or so and see if there’s anything of interest.  I’m looking at your results right now. I love the idea that Antonino Rocca wrestled at the Brooklyn Roll-A-Rama. 

WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York
Posts: 8856
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Thanks for the tips guys and thanks for everything that all you guys do.

Jim_Irish

 

Joined: Wed Mar 3rd, 2021
Location:  
Posts: 1937
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I look in occasionally. I remember pulling out loads of results to excel when there was a discussion about (I think) Flair's claims on how many matches he worked in his busiest year.

It's interesting.

I remember there was another board called Dragon King or something and it was nearly all focused on really old stuff, pre - Lou Thesz. Loads of interesting results there for what I guess would be called the pioneers.

One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 16178
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 



There are a few posters here who upload to WrestlingData, so I add a lot of material that may or may not wind up there eventually.   I don't have a great affinity for Pioneer Era wrestling, 1880-1920 or so... but from the gaps in research on the WD site, some of these finds can be valuable to fill in dates.   A thread like this is nice to see if it can spark discussions and reactions to what is or isn't out there.   

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: The views shot up quickly and even though it's not a high amount of views such as a post with say....oh.....dog fucking, it was almost even across all seven posts. So who's looking at this?
Some of this will have been search engine bots.

WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York
Posts: 8856
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kriss wrote: WongLee wrote: The views shot up quickly and even though it's not a high amount of views such as a post with say....oh.....dog fucking, it was almost even across all seven posts. So who's looking at this?
Some of this will have been search engine bots.
How would that work? I can't really imagine Gino Garibaldi at the Jamaica Arena being a popular search.

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: Kriss wrote: WongLee wrote: The views shot up quickly and even though it's not a high amount of views such as a post with say....oh.....dog fucking, it was almost even across all seven posts. So who's looking at this?
Some of this will have been search engine bots.
How would that work? I can't really imagine Gino Garibaldi at the Jamaica Arena being a popular search.


The bots continually search for new and updated pages. You can see how quickly new pages from S&W get added to Google. It's only a matter of minutes.

DaClyde
Jason Presley
 

Joined: Mon Apr 3rd, 2017
Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA
Posts: 68
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I pass through here a couple times a week to see if anything new has been posted that crosses whatever I'm researching at the time. I enjoy being able to contribute the odd result here and there when I'm digging through the 1930s and a new paper with weekly shows hits one of the newspaper archive sites. I'm repeatedly surprised when I find some major city like Detroit hadn't been thoroughly researched (or at least not in the digital age) and can add a few matches to the Bull Curry thread or something like that.
A lot of times I use the posts here to see where gaps exist at WD, and then go research those matches to get them added.  I do the same with various Facebook groups.

Last edited on Sun Jun 26th, 2022 12:48 pm by DaClyde

indikator

 

Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2616
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It is good this place exists as it is good that any place exists. It is good that Cagematch exists, if only for WD competition.
Around the beginning of last year (probably due to the reason that a UK FB group has a "This day in history" theme) both me for WD and somebody on Cagematch started to do more Joint Promotions era UK.
At the beginnings they used "Joint Promotions" and I did not. Why? It's like saying "NWA @ Orlando" or "NWA @ St. Louis" for shows in 1978.
So when I started I wanted to enter the correct promotions (Dale Martin, Bill Best, Wryton, Best/Wryton when they promoted together, Relwyskow and Green Promotions, Relwyskow Promotions, Deveroux etc... sometimes you even had three promoters like Dale Martin, Norman Morell and Ted Beresford for a single show in London. So yeah, complicated stuff.
And Cagematch quickly picked up on this. And you know what? That is good. It is always good when correct information is available online.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Home Of The Redskins, You Candy Asses. , Washington USA
Posts: 10279
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Since I don't have the time or more correctly the dedication, desire and drive it takes to put in the time to diligently go through newspapers for clippings and other sources to get as complete a picture of wrestling results I appreciate greatly those who do.



I've been lax in checking recently as I'm spending more time outside and other activities but I am typically in this forum every day and certainly when new posts pop up.



Making my own collection of results, for what ultimate purpose I don't really know as I will maybe once or twice a year answer a question about a card elsewhere.  I guess being a "completist" I'm always looking for additions to any territory and with as complete results as is possible.


A really big thanks to those who take the time to post in here on a regular basis.


One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 16178
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
indikator wrote: It is good this place exists as it is good that any place exists. It is good that Cagematch exists, if only for WD competition.
Around the beginning of last year (probably due to the reason that a UK FB group has a "This day in history" theme) both me for WD and somebody on Cagematch started to do more Joint Promotions era UK.
At the beginnings they used "Joint Promotions" and I did not. Why? It's like saying "NWA @ Orlando" or "NWA @ St. Louis" for shows in 1978.
So when I started I wanted to enter the correct promotions (Dale Martin, Bill Best, Wryton, Best/Wryton when they promoted together, Relwyskow and Green Promotions, Relwyskow Promotions, Deveroux etc... sometimes you even had three promoters like Dale Martin, Norman Morell and Ted Beresford for a single show in London. So yeah, complicated stuff.
And Cagematch quickly picked up on this. And you know what? That is good. It is always good when correct information is available online.


I'm glad someone has taken up the task of UK-related cards because as much as I like to see familiar names to me and slowly learn about others, I have no grasp of geography or venues there to digest it easily.   

One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 16178
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
DaClyde wrote: I pass through here a couple times a week to see if anything new has been posted that crosses whatever I'm researching at the time. I enjoy being able to contribute the odd result here and there when I'm digging through the 1930s and a new paper with weekly shows hits one of the newspaper archive sites. I'm repeatedly surprised when I find some major city like Detroit hadn't been thoroughly researched (or at least not in the digital age) and can add a few matches to the Bull Curry thread or something like that.
A lot of times I use the posts here to see where gaps exist at WD, and then go research those matches to get them added.  I do the same with various Facebook groups.



I have gotten to the point that I'm just posting material as it comes to me and hoping the WD or Cagematch researchers pluck it out for their use, mostly from my Random Results threads.   I see Detroit news ads and articles show up through the Chronicling America site but choose not to delve deeply into what might be there.   A few people I know out there are essentially specializing in their home territories and Detroit-area material is represented well in that respect. 

My once-photographic memory now develops blurry pictures, so occasionally you will see a repeat post.   

Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10960
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
One Fan Gang wrote: DaClyde wrote: I pass through here a couple times a week to see if anything new has been posted that crosses whatever I'm researching at the time. I enjoy being able to contribute the odd result here and there when I'm digging through the 1930s and a new paper with weekly shows hits one of the newspaper archive sites. I'm repeatedly surprised when I find some major city like Detroit hadn't been thoroughly researched (or at least not in the digital age) and can add a few matches to the Bull Curry thread or something like that.
A lot of times I use the posts here to see where gaps exist at WD, and then go research those matches to get them added.  I do the same with various Facebook groups.



I have gotten to the point that I'm just posting material as it comes to me and hoping the WD or Cagematch researchers pluck it out for their use, mostly from my Random Results threads.   I see Detroit news ads and articles show up through the Chronicling America site but choose not to delve deeply into what might be there.   A few people I know out there are essentially specializing in their home territories and Detroit-area material is represented well in that respect. 

My once-photographic memory now develops blurry pictures, so occasionally you will see a repeat post.   

So, a mea culpa... A while ago I said I would start adding the results that OMG has been posting to WD. It's just too much of arduous task. It takes longer than you'd think to add cards to the database, and if I have to change the location and promoter for each card, you can triple the time it takes to add each card. And if I need to work out exactly who some on a card is, that adds more time. I'm trying to use my time as efficiently as possible, and the most efficient thing to do is add full years of cards from the same town, so I only need to change the date. What OMF's posts do throw up is where I can look to find new cards. There just aren't enough of us adding old school results to the database to keep up with all the new newspapers available online. It'll never be complete, or correct, all we can do is improve it.

indikator

 

Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2616
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
That was always my reasoning for ignoring the UK. On top of it, sometimes you have venues or towns that are not unique, and I wanted to know who the promoter and/or booking office was. I always thought Ray Plunkett would be able to guide me but that never happened and now he sadly has passed. After that happend, I just had to do something, as social media posts will certainly not be available in the future. It's like a web service with an automatic self-destruct feature.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems