WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tony LaRussa Tells Players Not to Hustle

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tony LaRussa Tells Players Not to Hustle  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srossi
HALL OF FAMER
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 61471
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
So the White Sox are having some major injury issues with about 20 guys on the IL, most with leg injuries. As a response, LaRussa went public to say that his players have been instructed NOT to run hard on routine ground balls and generally not hustle. He wanted to alert the fans and media so that players wouldn’t get booed and weren’t accused of being lazy. This is an organizational directive to keep them healthy. 

I think this is absolute bullshit and I find it hard to believe it’s LaRussa’s call and doesn’t come from above, but there is no reason professional athletes can’t run hard for 90 feet. I get that you don’t want guys crashing into walls when it’s 10-0, but you can fucking run. The more they pamper these guys, the more they get hurt anyway. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 51027
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
They’re tanking?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8586
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: So the White Sox are having some major injury issues with about 20 guys on the IL, most with leg injuries. As a response, LaRussa went public to say that his players have been instructed NOT to run hard on routine ground balls and generally not hustle. He wanted to alert the fans and media so that players wouldn’t get booed and weren’t accused of being lazy. This is an organizational directive to keep them healthy.  I think this is absolute bullshit and I find it hard to believe it’s LaRussa’s call and doesn’t come from above, but there is no reason professional athletes can’t run hard for 90 feet. I get that you don’t want guys crashing into walls when it’s 10-0, but you can fucking run. The more they pamper these guys, the more they get hurt anyway. Tony LaRussa would not make that call.  That came from above.  It's smart if it's done properly, like you say, no crashing into walls.  But on normal plays like a popup to the shallow OF?  You mean to tell me a player can turn it on and off when instinctively they are always going to go for the ball?  This will end up getting them hurt.  I could give a shit if they don't bust it out of the box on a grounder to 2B, because the play is right in front of them.  But a sharp ball to third?  If they ain't running, I'm booing because third to first is never an easy throw.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 05:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 9357
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
LaRussa has been an absolute fucking disaster since he was hired. This organization is such a joke with managerial hires, from Ozzie to Robin Ventura (no experience) to Ricky Renteria (actually got the shaft) and now LaRussa. But to the point on injuries, the team is totally banged up. I don’t know if it’s a shitty off-season training program or their training staff sucks (Herm Schneider retired a few years ago and then they fired two long time assistants). But it’s been like this all year. 10 or so guys with serious leg issues, soreness, hammies. Can’t go first to third without grimacing in pain.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 3490
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8586
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: LaRussa has been an absolute fucking disaster since he was hired. This organization is such a joke with managerial hires, from Ozzie to Robin Ventura (no experience) to Ricky Renteria (actually got the shaft) and now LaRussa. But to the point on injuries, the team is totally banged up. I don’t know if it’s a shitty off-season training program or their training staff sucks (Herm Schneider retired a few years ago and then they fired two long time assistants). But it’s been like this all year. 10 or so guys with serious leg issues, soreness, hammies. Can’t go first to third without grimacing in pain.Renteria was one of those rare "ridiculous hires" that actually worked out.  He worked his ass off and got that team going in the right direction.  LaRussa is ruining the team.  I don't care about the lack of analytics, I actually appreciate it.  But much like was said with Joe Girardi and the Yankees, LaRussa is making some really boneheaded decisions that do not have anything to do with the analytics department.  The best was deciding to walk a guy that you got ahead in the count on because he hits better when he's down in the count.  I almost think that was done just to fuck with the analytics team, but you don't cost your team a game by trying to prove your point.
EDIT - forgot to say this:  Rick Renteria was so far off the radar that he was sitting in a bar with one of the guys that plays in my Fantasy Baseball league having a shot and a beer when he got the call that the White Sox were interested in talking to him. 



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 5848
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
KGB wrote: Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.

I heard the gambling was good for the body and soul. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8586
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
KGB wrote: Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.I'm gonna have to say straight up that Rose's career was as impressive or even more impressive than Cal Ripken's.  Sure Cal broke Gehrig's record, but Peter doesn't even come up on an injury report for something like the last fifteen years of his career, maybe even longer.  He was always playing 145+ games, usually 155+.  And it was balls to the wall every time he stepped onto the field.  The man was made differently and when I met him in 2012 he shook my hand.  First his hands were about the size of a hubcap.  And his forearms were about the size of my quads and this was 25 years after his last at bat.  The man was massive.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
WongLee
HALL OF FAMER


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: East Patchogue, New York
Posts: 8749
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Superstar wrote: KGB wrote: Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.I'm gonna have to say straight up that Rose's career was as impressive or even more impressive than Cal Ripken's.  Sure Cal broke Gehrig's record, but Peter doesn't even come up on an injury report for something like the last fifteen years of his career, maybe even longer.  He was always playing 145+ games, usually 155+.  And it was balls to the wall every time he stepped onto the field.  The man was made differently and when I met him in 2012 he shook my hand.  First his hands were about the size of a hubcap.  And his forearms were about the size of my quads and this was 25 years after his last at bat.  The man was massive.
Sounds like you got a little man crush on Charlie Hustle.



____________________
"Did Scott Hall fuck Mike Johnson's wife?"

Kriss in the Scott Hall will be dead soon thread
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 08:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Superstar
'18-'19 POTY, 1st Ballot HOFer


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Dickshooter, Idaho USA
Posts: 8586
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
WongLee wrote: Superstar wrote: KGB wrote: Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.I'm gonna have to say straight up that Rose's career was as impressive or even more impressive than Cal Ripken's.  Sure Cal broke Gehrig's record, but Peter doesn't even come up on an injury report for something like the last fifteen years of his career, maybe even longer.  He was always playing 145+ games, usually 155+.  And it was balls to the wall every time he stepped onto the field.  The man was made differently and when I met him in 2012 he shook my hand.  First his hands were about the size of a hubcap.  And his forearms were about the size of my quads and this was 25 years after his last at bat.  The man was massive.
Sounds like you got a little man crush on Charlie Hustle.
Nah - he's kind of an asshole.  But the man was fucking talented and had hands at 70 years old like he'd been hand tightening bolts for 50 straight years.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 9357
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Superstar wrote: Blazer wrote: LaRussa has been an absolute fucking disaster since he was hired. This organization is such a joke with managerial hires, from Ozzie to Robin Ventura (no experience) to Ricky Renteria (actually got the shaft) and now LaRussa. But to the point on injuries, the team is totally banged up. I don’t know if it’s a shitty off-season training program or their training staff sucks (Herm Schneider retired a few years ago and then they fired two long time assistants). But it’s been like this all year. 10 or so guys with serious leg issues, soreness, hammies. Can’t go first to third without grimacing in pain.Renteria was one of those rare "ridiculous hires" that actually worked out.  He worked his ass off and got that team going in the right direction.  LaRussa is ruining the team.  I don't care about the lack of analytics, I actually appreciate it.  But much like was said with Joe Girardi and the Yankees, LaRussa is making some really boneheaded decisions that do not have anything to do with the analytics department.  The best was deciding to walk a guy that you got ahead in the count on because he hits better when he's down in the count.  I almost think that was done just to fuck with the analytics team, but you don't cost your team a game by trying to prove your point.
EDIT - forgot to say this:  Rick Renteria was so far off the radar that he was sitting in a bar with one of the guys that plays in my Fantasy Baseball league having a shot and a beer when he got the call that the White Sox were interested in talking to him. 

Ok, this is pretty cool. 



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jun 27th, 2022 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 9357
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Superstar wrote: WongLee wrote: Superstar wrote: KGB wrote: Remember all the times Pete Rose was hobbled or missed games because of nagging injuries? Me neither.I'm gonna have to say straight up that Rose's career was as impressive or even more impressive than Cal Ripken's.  Sure Cal broke Gehrig's record, but Peter doesn't even come up on an injury report for something like the last fifteen years of his career, maybe even longer.  He was always playing 145+ games, usually 155+.  And it was balls to the wall every time he stepped onto the field.  The man was made differently and when I met him in 2012 he shook my hand.  First his hands were about the size of a hubcap.  And his forearms were about the size of my quads and this was 25 years after his last at bat.  The man was massive.
Sounds like you got a little man crush on Charlie Hustle.
Nah - he's kind of an asshole.  But the man was fucking talented and had hands at 70 years old like he'd been hand tightening bolts for 50 straight years.

Rose falls into that category for me like a lot of guys from the 70s and 80s.  Reggie Jackson is another.  To some extent Garvey too.  Guys you loved to hate back then, but you respect now.  I'd go to was with Reggie and Pete Rose any day of the week.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:04 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tony LaRussa Tells Players Not to Hustle Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems